• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bullpen Options

Wanted to throw together a thread of realistic bullpen options that likely could be acquired for a package similar to Herrera.

These are all BP pieces that will be free agents at the end of this season:

Brach and Britton with the Orioles

Clippard and Oh with the Blue Jays

Soria with the White Sox

Familia with the Mets

Hernandez with the Reds

Then you have guys that are signed through at least next season who might cost similar or a bit more 

O'Day with the Orioles

Jared Hughes with the Reds

Craig Stammen and Kirby Yates with the Padres

Most expensive guy is probably Brad Hand

Almost any White Sox reliever would be interesting. They're suffering from a bad CWS defense but have great K/9 rates and FIP.

Eppler's been right more often than not when it comes to pitching acquisitions. He gets a lot of low-cost guys, which sure, means some of them are stinkers, but when he gets a hit, it came at no cost. There's a lot of relief options out there, both veteran and in AAA/40-man fringe. I'm sure he's looking for help. 

We don't need to gut the farm, or really trade much of anyone of prospect value, for big-name relievers, just to fight for the second WC.

1 minute ago, hangin n wangin said:

If we trade prospects for any of the guys listed above, I would think that we would be preparing to sign them to extensions. Because I just don't see the point in giving up prospects for these relievers if they aren't going to be part of our future.

Think about what they gave up for Street and Gott.  Based on what we traded (Lindsey, Rondon, etc), if Street never signed an extension, would you have been upset?

2 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

If we trade prospects for any of the guys listed above, I would think that we would be preparing to sign them to extensions. Because I just don't see the point in giving up prospects for these relievers if they aren't going to be part of our future.

I see the point in doing so. The point is quite simple actually. The point is to get relievers who will help us keep games close, keep leads we may have, and close games out. All things needed (especially things we as the Angels need the most) to win. Now if we can resign these players or trade for players with controllable/future years remaining then that is a further plus. But we need help, and we need help now. I understand not wanting to gut our system. But to part with some mid prospects to me is a no brainer if we think it would give us a chance at the a wild card and the lost season. 

4 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Think about what they gave up for Street and Gott.  Based on what we traded (Lindsey, Rondon, etc), if Street never signed an extension, would you have been upset?

Well no, but just because that contract didn't work out doesn't mean I am against signing someone that I think will be a good relief pitcher to an extension, if the price is right.

I would prefer our acquisitions, if we make some this year, to players that can be a successful part of our future going forward, but that's just my opinion.

6 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Well no, but just because that contract didn't work out doesn't mean I am against signing someone that I think will be a good relief pitcher to an extension, if the price is right.

I would prefer our acquisitions, if we make some this year, to players that can be a successful part of our future going forward, but that's just my opinion.

I would as well.  I just think some guys like a Clippard or a Brach are ones that maybe can help this year and possibly into the next but will have a short lifespan so I'd be ok with giving up less for a half season.

The Herrera trade was for the Nats #11 and #12 or so ranked prospects and a upside arm ranked outside their top 20-30. To us that would be like Hermosillo(ranked #9 by MLB), Leonardo Rivas (ranked #14 by MLB) and Hector Yan (ranked #29 by MLB). Who knows who the Royals or any team we may trade with may like over other similarly ranked prospects in our system, but something like that or even less would likely have gotten us Herrera or another Reliever in a trade. Why not go get Brach and Britton from the Orioles. Or Hand and or Familia. But I think a cost like that may be worth a trade or two. 

2 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

I would as well.  I just think some guys like a Clippard or a Brach are ones that maybe can help this year and possibly into the next but will have a short lifespan so I'd be ok with giving up less for a half season.

Brach has been far from good this year. He would fit in with the rest of our relievers.

1.70 WHIP? Dear God. Explosion waiting to happen.

7 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Brach has been far from good this year. He would fit in with the rest of our relievers.

1.70 WHIP? Dear God. Explosion waiting to happen.

Wow. I didn’t realize Brach’s stats  And his career stats are nothing great either. But I’d take a look at Britton. 

44 minutes ago, stanick88 said:

Wow. I didn’t realize Brach’s stats  And his career stats are nothing great either. But I’d take a look at Britton. 

1 minute ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I think Eppler may go after Famila and Britton, he could just be waiting to see how Britton does in the next few weeks and allowing Familia to come from the DL.

I don't think I'd go after anybody right now....With the injuries to the starters, this thing isn't trending well....8 1/2 games out of the wild card isn't a time to burn prospects on a rental....things can always change, as they did last year with a hot August but, for now, I'd sit tight.....

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:
Jon MorosiVerified account @jonmorosi 49s50 seconds ago
#RedSox interested in upgrading bullpen, but in order to acquire San Diego LHP Brad Hand, source says the #Padres’ likely asking price would be a young everyday player, such as Rafael Devers. @MLBNetwork @MLB

Would they consider Blash and young everyday player LOL! I mean technically he's not old and technically he "plays" every day.

14 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Would they consider Blash and young everyday player LOL! I mean technically he's not old and technically he "plays" every day.

Calhoun (Young) is young and can play everyday. ? ? 

Edit: Young is Young. (Literally his name is Young). Since Calhoun had a good day back. May be Calhoun can be a spark. 

FWIW.

Bob NightengaleVerified account @BNightengale 16m16 minutes ago
The #Angels, trying to take advantage of Mike Trout's greatest season with 2020 looming, nearly landed #Royals closer Kelvim Escobar, who went to #Nats. They still believe Ohtani will be back at least as a DH this season. https://usat.ly/2MES0lM  via @usatoday

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

FWIW.

The #Angels, trying to take advantage of Mike Trout's greatest season with 2020 looming, nearly landed #Royals closer Kelvim Escobar, who went to #Nats. They still believe Ohtani will be back at least as a DH this season. https://usat.ly/2MES0lM  via @usatoday

Before his injury Ohtani was regressing at the plate. Pinning any hopes on him for this year is foolish.

1 hour ago, stanick88 said:

Britton just returned from extensive DL time since the beginning of the season.   How long will it take for his command to be there?

8 minutes ago, totdprods said:

FWIW.

Uhh Bob, Tripod retired a while back. 

8 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Brewers just DFA'ed Boone Logan.  Ugly line this year, but he's a K/9 machine. Awfully wild, but a 3.35 FIP and 116 ERA+ over the last three years prior in 164 games.

This is exactly the type of BP "help" the Angels need to stay away from.