• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Deadspin: Mike Trout doesn't deserve this sh*&

nate

IMO this really needs to be Albert's last season as a player for the Angels and the only way that is going to happen is if the Angels bench him or buy out the remainder of his contract. Either way Albert will get what he signed for.

I'm not going to pretend that I know what the Angel organization needs to do going forward but what I do know is that not many organizations could have been able to contend with the amount of injuries that we have had this year and the previous two. There wouldn't be nearly the negativity here had our luck not been so bad. The final blow has been losing Othani.

There's only so much that can be absorbed and our farm system hasn't been up to the task of helping with the injuries and other needs. I'm afraid it's going to be another long season.

2 minutes ago, Glen said:

Ya know what I'm Facking tired of? Hearing about players on this team right now that will be "off the team" or "out of the league" next year. If they're obviously that bad get rid of them now. Give the kids a chance. F*ck these wasted roster spots.

Ya I dont get it. The team is struggling badly and the front office and manager does nothing different. No roster changes, and Scioscia keeps putting in the same bad players in the lineup like Valbuena every Facking day and keeps using his worst pitchers with the game on the line.

The Angels can keep saying they're trying to win, but I dont buy it - actions speak louder than words.

9 minutes ago, stanick88 said:

No. You forget he has a 10 year personal service contract with the Angels after his playing career is over. 

I didn’t forget.  They need to pay him what he’s owed and move him into his post playing days role.  AKA the “personal services” contract.  Albert isn’t going to make a deal for the Angels because he simply doesn’t have to.  He’d be out of his mind to not get every single cent.  I’m sorry, there’s no reason to believe he’ll give the Angels a break.  Would you do your employer any favor when it comes to what they owe you ? Of course not.  And you’d be wholly justified in that.  Just as Albert is. 

1 minute ago, JarsOfClay said:

Ya I dont get it. The team is struggling badly and the front office and manager does nothing different. No roster changes, and Scioscia keeps putting in the same bad players in the lineup like Valbuena every Facking day and keeps using his worst pitchers with the game on the line.

The Angels can keep saying they're trying to win, but I dont buy it - actions speak louder than words.

Yeah we'd be right there contending with Houston if only Scioscia had better line up management and started putting our good players in everyday. lol

43 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

I think 2002 was the most important season. For one thing I think it’s fools gold to believe that we can put a championship contender type team on the field in 2019.

Are we trying to build a team of the future that can sustain some postseason runs or are we trying to quickly put something together for Trout. There’s a difference. 

If you continue to re build it

trout will walk

Just now, Angels#1Fan said:

Yeah we'd be right there contending with Houston if only Scioscia had better line up management and started putting our good players in everyday. lol

Stupid comment, I never said we'd be contending with Houston. I said the team has fallen flat on it's face and nothing is being done to change things up. Briceno has got off to a hot start and hes still a backup to Mashitty, Fletcher is off to torrid start in the minors and comes up and takes a seat to Valbuena of all people. They let Calhoun play 2 months of 8 ops before they finally faked an injury, and It took them several weeks to finally call up JFM. 

Facking ridiculous.

8 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I didn’t forget.  They need to pay him what he’s owed and move him into his post playing days role.  AKA the “personal services” contract.  Albert isn’t going to make a deal for the Angels because he simply doesn’t have to.  He’d be out of his mind to not get every single cent.  I’m sorry, there’s no reason to believe he’ll give the Angels a break.  Would you do your employer any favor when it comes to what they owe you ? Of course not.  And you’d be wholly justified in that.  Just as Albert is. 

You are correct. But I think his personal service contract is for 1 mil a year for 10 years. So if we paid him 10 mil a year as the personal service contract, it would roughly be around what we owe him overall. It is just a way of allocating a buy out so his contract doesn’t count again the luxury tax. I guess we were both kinda getting to the same point. 

21 minutes ago, Glen said:

Ya know what I'm Facking tired of? Hearing about players on this team right now that will be "off the team" or "out of the league" next year. If they're obviously that bad get rid of them now. Give the kids a chance. F*ck these wasted roster spots.

100% exactly. 

Like if these are the core guys that are going to convince Trout to sign a 10 year extension. I think it’s funny that all of that money came off the books (more false hope) and Houston still has their foot on our neck. 

Just now, JarsOfClay said:

Stupid comment, I never said we'd be contending with Houston. I said the team has fallen flat on it's face and nothing is being done to change things up. Briceno has got off to a hot start and hes still a backup to Mashitty, Fletcher is off to torrid start in the minors and comes up and takes a seat to Valbuena of all people. They let Calhoun play 2 months of 8 ops before they finally faked an injury, and It took them several weeks to finally call up JFM. 

Facking ridiculous.

This is completely false..the Angels have made plenty of changes but for whatever reason they haven't worked out. Either the players under performed (see Kinsler until recently) or the holes were filled with marginal ML players or minor leaguers that weren't good enough (Cowart etc). Everyone assumes that some guy in the minors (like Cowart or Fletcher) has to be better than what we have but the fact is the vast majority of minor leaguers fail!

So you don't like Scioscia and you don't like the players that have been plugged in.

BTW..you thinking my comment is "stupid" doesn't carry much weight..sorry.

It was probably always going to be fools gold to expect this rotation to throw 170-180 innings each, since they were all out of action for very significant time over the past 1-2 seasons, including Ohtani only pitching some 40 innings in 2017.

For that reason, it was always going to be a challenge to get to the WC game, especially with a questionable bullpen.    

The year to shoot for would seem to have been 2019 anyway.   At this point, Heaney, Skaggs, and probably Barria will all be in line to pitch at least 170 innings in 2019.    Questions still abound though about the ability of Tropeano, Richards, and Ohtani to get there in 2019. 

There will be good depth in 2019 though to back them up (Canning, Suarez, and Castillo especially).

Just need to address the bullpen issues.    Middleton is still uncertain.  Parker/Anderson are fine as the #3/#4 guys.  Alvarez is fine as the innings guy.   Ramirez is fine in a support role.   They DESPERATELY need a closer and key setup guy.   

26 minutes ago, Angels#1Fan said:

IMO this really needs to be Albert's last season as a player for the Angels and the only way that is going to happen is if the Angels bench him or buy out the remainder of his contract. Either way Albert will get what he signed for.

I'm not going to pretend that I know what the Angel organization needs to do going forward but what I do know is that not many organizations could have been able to contend with the amount of injuries that we have had this year and the previous two. There wouldn't be nearly the negativity here had our luck not been so bad. The final blow has been losing Othani.

There's only so much that can be absorbed and our farm system hasn't been up to the task of helping with the injuries and other needs. I'm afraid it's going to be another long season.

sarcasm of course

BA6C78A7-537C-4DFE-B9A8-668245B4D96E.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

It was probably always going to be fools gold to expect this rotation to throw 170-180 innings each, since they were all out of action for very significant time over the past 1-2 seasons, including Ohtani only pitching some 40 innings in 2017.

For that reason, it was always going to be a challenge to get to the WC game, especially with a questionable bullpen.    

I said almost the same thing at the beginning of the year. There was no way some of those guys that were coming off of TJ surgery were going to pitch a lot of innings. That's why I was adamant about acquiring a #1 or #2 starter early on. The pitching was always going to be the achilles heel of this team.

58 minutes ago, stanick88 said:

You are correct. But I think his personal service contract is for 1 mil a year for 10 years. So if we paid him 10 mil a year as the personal service contract, it would roughly be around what we owe him overall. It is just a way of allocating a buy out so his contract doesn’t count again the luxury tax. I guess we were both kinda getting to the same point. 

Whatever works. 

2 hours ago, The Boogie Man said:

I didn’t say that, nice try though.  How bout this, instead of critiquing my opinion how bout you actually do a little home work and actually put yourself out there and say who you would trade for a rental?  You are super good at questioning my opinions (pot calling the kettle black I know), but you NEVER give an example of what you would do.  You don’t do that because you like to hide behind “well they could have done something”.  If you aren’t willing to go out on a limb, don’t question those that share what they would and wouldn’t do.  

Bullshit, ive given many, numerous times. 

Regardless, for the multiple-teeth time now I didnt suggest a rental, thats obvious not the goal, but i would 100% be willing to do so pending the cost.  Whether a rental or a long term solution, we need to do something before this season slips away.   Im willing to explore all options to do so, you are not, thats not debatable regardless of the kitchenware in use. 

In this particular case, which is the subject of this thread, and i might add which you clearly opposed and would not do over a a couple guys that may or may not ever see the majors, i would have paid it, gladly, to get this team a shot at the post season.  You never know what can happen once a guy gets here to know for certain it is or is not a rental anyway.  

4 hours ago, yk9001 said:

That is one depressing-ass read, if you are an angels fan.

I recently moved away from So. Cal., so I don't get to see the games on a nightly basis. Which is good because it's depressing.

So I hadn't seen an Angels game in a couple of weeks, and then I watched the game last night on ESPN.

It occurred to me that Trout looks like a high schooler playing with a bunch of sixth-graders.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

I recently moved away from So. Cal., so I don't get to see the games on a nightly basis. Which is good because it's depressing.

So I hadn't seen an Angels game in a couple of weeks, and then I watched the game last night on ESPN.

It occurred to me that Trout looks like a high schooler playing with a bunch of sixth-graders and 50 year olds. 

fixed

5 minutes ago, artesmustache said:

can't defer money to his personal service contract and not have it count towards luxury tax. every cent on his player contract is counted towards luxry tax.

You are correct going forward. And that is because of Alberts contract. 10 million was for a 10 year personal service contract. Because of that, the MLBPA and MLB outlawed that for the future after Albert. But what you can do, and what I am suggesting, is buy out his contract and have him retire and become a coach. Which will wipe his contract from the luxury tax. And then have him hired and have part of or all of his buy out as an instructor/coach/assistant salary (which effectively starts his personal service time portion of his contract start early). 

28 minutes ago, artesmustache said:

can't defer money to his personal service contract and not have it count towards luxury tax. every cent on his player contract is counted towards luxry tax.

It would decrease the amount against the 2020-2021 threshold by say $16-17 million, while increasing it by say $7-8 million against the 2022-2029 threshold.   This is assuming the personal services contract would start immediately after retirement following the 2019 season.

That should help to allow Arte to pay Trout and Simba whatever to stay here after 2020. 

On 6/19/2018 at 9:15 AM, fan_since79 said:

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that the Yankees adding Trout to their roster will pretty much insure a dynasty in the Bronx, or at least playoff appearances year after year, especially if they sign him directly from free agency and not as a result of a trade.

Trout, Judge, Stanton, Sanchez, Torres: the 21st century Murderer's Row.

While true, do you think they could honestly afford that?

Judge will get a super 2 abr deal this year and become vastly more expensive. If they landed trout, in 3 years they would be paying over 100 mill for their outfield alone.

They have a ton of money. Even the dodgers (with more money) wouldnt do that