• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Deadspin: Mike Trout doesn't deserve this sh*&

nate

Just now, Barrett said:

Everyone's complaining that Mike S hasn't gotten the Angels to the playoffs in so long but since Eppler has been here he hasn't gotten him to the playoffs either. The name of the game is playoffs and winning games. We aren't doing that and it isn't just on Mike S it's on Eppler as well. 

OK, I see you have your focus on this moment in time so we will just leave it at that 

29 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

Of course I have considered that that is what their value is, which is why I wouldn’t trade them for a 3.5 month rental.  Package them for a piece that will be here for 2 plus years.  Not sure why you can’t see that that is what I have been saying other than you want to be right and paint me in a picture where I am wrong.  I have said it more than once, yet you pretend to have me talking about not trading Adell.  

So there is noone you would trade for ANY rental, is that accurate?

So Kinsler is on pace to be a 3 win player, that should count for something.  So should Shohei, which wasn’t about money, he convinced him to come here, which is an incredible skillset as a GM.  Which is why I am not convinced that Trout is leaving.  It is also why I don’t think Albert finishes his contract.  

1 minute ago, floplag said:

So there is noone you would trade for ANY rental, is that accurate?

I didn’t say that, nice try though.  How bout this, instead of critiquing my opinion how bout you actually do a little home work and actually put yourself out there and say who you would trade for a rental?  You are super good at questioning my opinions (pot calling the kettle black I know), but you NEVER give an example of what you would do.  You don’t do that because you like to hide behind “well they could have done something”.  If you aren’t willing to go out on a limb, don’t question those that share what they would and wouldn’t do.  

4 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

So Kinsler is on pace to be a 3 win player, that should count for something.  So should Shohei, which wasn’t about money, he convinced him to come here, which is an incredible skillset as a GM.  Which is why I am not convinced that Trout is leaving.  It is also why I don’t think Albert finishes his contract.  

Yes because Eppler will convince Albert to walk away from 100 million dollars. The guys not a magician. 

11 minutes ago, Barrett said:

Yes because Eppler will convince Albert to walk away from 100 million dollars. The guys not a magician. 

No one is gonna talk Albert out collecting every goddamn cent of his contract.  The Angels signed the deal.  They have to pay.  The money is gone.  Whether they allow him to keep killing the team is another issue entirely.  And one they need to resolve soon.  Albert needs to be paid out and moved into his front office role. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

4 minutes ago, ThomasSutpen said:

Pujols will have another offseason to train and diet and get back to his old self.

We are definitely guaranteed another full season of Albert. He’s going to want a final year stadium tour like Jeter and Ortiz. If he doesn’t announce that next season will be his last then we will surely see him in 2020. 

I just can't imagine Albert walking away from $100 million..hell, I can't imagine anyone doing that.

As far as Trout goes, no one here knows what he is going to do, but I will say this. The longer the Angels wait to extend him the more likely he is to leave and trading him isn't an option for several reasons. One of the main reasons for it being difficult to trade him is that any team trading for him must sign him or take the chance of giving up a lot for just a rental season. Second reason is that Trout has a no trade which has it's biggest impact if he intends to try the fa water. If the Angels really want to keep Trout it's my opinion that they need to extend him sooner rather than later.

The real question regarding Trout and free agency is whether or not he wants to stay in Anaheim and the truth is no one but him knows the answer to that question.

17 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

No one is gonna talk Albert out collecting every goddamn cent of his contract.  The Angels signed the deal.  They have to pay.  The money is gone.  Whether they allow him to keep killing the team is another issue entirely.  And one they need to resolve soon.  Albert needs to be paid out and moved into his front office role. 

If the Angels really want Albert out of the line up they'll have to eat the rest of his contract. He's not going to quit, he'll sit on the bench and collect before he'd leave all that money on the table.

Unfortunately Albert was paid for the great years and success he had in St. Louis. His Angel career has paled in comparison and wasn't worth the money but it is what it is.

2 minutes ago, Angels#1Fan said:

If the Angels really want Albert out of the line up they'll have to eat the rest of his contract. He's not going to quit, he'll sit on the bench and collect before he'd leave all that money on the table.

And that is the answer for what they need to do. They gave him a chance to rebound from last year this year and he just isn't any good. Time to just pay him and get him off the roster.

It would be ridiculous if they keep him over Thaiss

3 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

100% on the money

I think 2002 was the most important season. For one thing I think it’s fools gold to believe that we can put a championship contender type team on the field in 2019.

Are we trying to build a team of the future that can sustain some postseason runs or are we trying to quickly put something together for Trout. There’s a difference. 

5 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

I think 2002 was the most important season. For one thing I think it’s fools gold to believe that we can put a championship contender type team on the field in 2019.

Are we trying to build a team of the future that can sustain some postseason runs or are we trying to quickly put something together for Trout. There’s a difference. 

What does the future look like without Trout ? It’s a tough balance the Angels have to walk right now.  A full blown tear down isn’t the right thing to do for the organization. 

I'm not going to read that article.  I don't see the point.  People here that think he's leaving are being pessimistic. People that think he's staying are optimistic.  Maybe both opinions are also realistic.  If Trouts next 3 years are like his last 7, realistically, he's going to leave.  You could also state that's being pessimistic but often times, they are one in the same.  If he wants to actually go to the playoffs and win the World Series, the Angels haven't proven they can help him with that.

24 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

We are definitely guaranteed another full season of Albert. He’s going to want a final year stadium tour like Jeter and Ortiz. If he doesn’t announce that next season will be his last then we will surely see him in 2020. 

I don’t think Albert is that vain, they need to sit down and talk to him about how he wants to exit life as a player.  I think he wants his money and that’s it.  The Angels hopefully don’t give him another year.  They don’t need to. 

May Be we can convince Pujols in the off-season to void his remainder of his contract, retire, and then pay him 10 mil a year to be an assistant Bench Coach, Assistant hitting instructor, or whatever else it will take to get his contact from counting towards the competitive balance tax threshold. That we can can get a competitive player to play for the same price we were paying Albert. Long shot it mAy be. But it was a long shot to sign Pujols to bein with many moons ago.  

3 minutes ago, stanick88 said:

May Be we can convince Pujols in the off-season to void his remainder of his contract, retire, and then pay him 10 mil a year to be an assistant Bench Coach, Assistant hitting instructor, or whatever else it will take to get his contact from counting towards the competitive balance tax threshold. That we can can get a competitive player to play for the same price we were paying Albert. Long shot it mAy be. But it was a long shot to sign Pujols to bein with many moons ago.  

No.  We have to pay him out.  

The end. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

This is one of the greatest weeks of his career, in what’s emerging as his most spectacular season yet, and Trout can’t bear to look at the statistic that eats away at him.

“I’m not going to look,’’ he says, softly. “It’s too early. I can’t. I just can’t.’’

“I’d give up everything I have, all of the individual awards I’ve ever won,’’ says Trout, a two-time MVP and six-time All-Star, “for a World Series. It would be so sick to win the World Series, ride around with that trophy, and see everyone so happy. That’s something you dream about.

“But I know you’ve got to get to the playoffs first.’’

In due time, there will be negotiations. There will be debates how much to pay the greatest player in the game. And there will always be the ultimate question whether Trout will even want to stay if the Angels’ postseason drought continues.

“I just want to get to the playoffs,’’ Trout says. “I saw first-hand what the [Philadelphia] Eagles can do for a city. Just sitting in the stands that day, being a fan of the team winning it all, was pretty special.

“I can’t imagine being the guy holding that trophy up in the air. It’s something that I always think about in the back of my mind.

“Winning a World Series, how cool would that be?’’

Trout has to be the frontrunner right now for MVP, as Betts has fallen back a little to where Trout is at least comparable in every category but Ks.

Trout is on pace for about 50 HRs and 90 XBHs, and about 30 SBs.    How many 50 HRs/30 SBs guys have there been in MLB history?

As for Pujols' retirement helping pave the way to improve 1B/DH, Eppler can convince him that it's best to retire after 2019, and then they can negotiate to stretch out his remaining $59 million at that point over some 10 years to help payroll.

Rotating Pujols (1B/DH), Ohtani (DH), and Thaiss (1B) during the 2019 season allows Thaiss and Pujols both to get into say 3/4 of the games while Ohtani appears in about 1/2 of the games.

Regarding concerns about Thaiss' power potential and size, look no further than not only to Altuve but also 5-9/165 lbs. Indians' 3B Jose Ramirez.         In his first 1,200+ minors at bats, Ramirez had a whopping 12 HRs.    Fast forward to 2017-2018, and he has 50 HRs in the past 1.5 seasons and became a top 5  AL MVP candidate.