• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Valbuena Needs to Go

Blarg

4 hours ago, The Boogie Man said:

He was good in the 2nd half of last year, so I understand bringing him back and seeing if he can replicate his .866 OPS from the second half of last year.  Hopefully they don’t keep him around long enough to see if he does that again in the second half of this year.

They gave him a shot, I’m fine with that. Even though I disagreed with it

what I don’t like (and I know we agree on this one) is how long the leash is for this player compared to other guys. His overall numbers weren’t good last year. I understand what you’re saying about seeing if he could sustain his strong 2nd half but the end of May should have been his leash. We’re almost in July now.

his underlying numbers are as bad as his slash line. He’s not walking much and striking out more than anyone on the team. There’s no bad luck involved on this one, he’s just trash

if he could field his position well (like Kole) it would be less of a problem. But he sucks there too

It's funny but Valbuena has been performing in 2018 exactly like his whole career.  His lifetime batting average is .227. He has hit .216 this year. 2 extra seeing eye singles. Over his career he has averaged 3 HR's every 100 at bats.... same thing he is doing this year. As far as Eppler & company are concerned he is meeting expectations. He is exactly who they thought he was. Why would they cut him for that?

Now why he was ever signed for $8 million a year in the first place.... I will never know???

Valbuena and Calhoun popping homers.

I should be happy but I can't help worry that a tiny surge could just keep the Angels from from making changes that need to be made.

No I do not root for them to stink.  But I very much want these two roster spots improved.

I have 0% confidence at this point that Valbuena is worth a roster spot going forward.

I have about 20% confidence Calhoun is the right guy going forward.

52 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Valbuena and Calhoun popping homers.

I should be happy but I can't help worry that a tiny surge could just keep the Angels from from making changes that need to be made.

No I do not root for them to stink.  But I very much want these two roster spots improved.

I have 0% confidence at this point that Valbuena is worth a roster spot going forward.

I have about 20% confidence Calhoun is the right guy going forward.

I have 0% confidence that one home run from Calhoun will affect Eppler's judgement one way or the other.

I don't think one homer will change his strategy either.  But would two?  Three in the next six games?

I will make my point an entirely different way.  If Calhoun and Valbuena could demontrate beyong any doubt that the are capable of producing now, that doesn't fully solve the problem for me.

And that is because they have also now demonstrated beyond any doubt that they are also capable of being really bad for really long periods of time.

There needs to be a realistic range of acceptable performance.

When your established range now includes what we have been witnessing, I think it is time to go another direction.