• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Nats trade for Herrera

floplag

as for 'targets' for the Halos -- that should be directed at prospects like what KC gave up.

at this point, until further notice (meaning a winning streak and a quick turn around) at 10 and a half games back.

As trade deadline approaches -- we're sellers -- (without much to sell) not buyers.

Who do we have to sell (don't say Trout)?  At one point I would have thought Calhoun -- but his value wasn't high and hasn't gotten better so far this year

Seriously -- who do we have in the pen or in the rotation that any contender would want? 

Angels are definitely sellers at this point, but every year they keep building this pretense that they are still contenders in a desperate attempt to keep selling tickets.

They need to stop jerking the fans around and start choose winning over selling tickets. Trade Calhoun, Maldonado, Cozart, and Kinsler. You get can some pretty good B prospects for these guys. 

It's time to let the kids play and see what they can do. At least it'll actually be fun to watch a baseball game again.

13 hours ago, 2020worldseries said:

So you would deplete the farm system to trade for 2-3 relievers for us to maybe make the playoffs this year lol

I would. This isn't August. The Angels could still come back to make the playoffs. First and foremost, the bullpen has to be shored up. This does two things: a) strengthens the other members of the pen and b) gives the entire club a lift because management hasn't quit on them and inspires them to play harder.

Just now, Torridd said:

I would. This isn't August. The Angels could still come back to make the playoffs. First and foremost, the bullpen has to be shored up. This does two things: a) strengthens the other members of the pen and b) gives the entire club a lift because management hasn't quit on them and inspires them to play harder.

I wouldn’t give up a single top five prospect for a reliever.  I would consider Ward or Thiass if it would give me a good arm for 2 plus years.

13 hours ago, 2020worldseries said:

So you would deplete the farm system to trade for 2-3 relievers for us to maybe make the playoffs this year lol

If the relievers are going to be part of the future and we don't give up any top prospects, I don't see anything wrong with it. I do however, have a problem with giving up prospects for rentals (like Hererra) because this team isn't winning jack shit this year with or with out an acquisition like that. I'll support this team for the rest of the year, but I am also very realistic about our chances. Going into the year I didn't see this team winning the division and nothing has changed in that regard. I did however, see us being better than 3 games over .500 at this point in the season. That's the disappointing part. And watching this team play and seeing the holes on this whole roster, I don't think giving up top prospects just to sneak into the wild card and get bitched in the playoffs is a good strategy.

3 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

If the relievers are going to be part of the future and we don't give up any top prospects, I don't see anything wrong with it. I do however, have a problem with giving up prospects for rentals (like Hererra) because this team isn't winning jack shit this year with or with out an acquisition like that. I'll support this team for the rest of the year, but I am also very realistic about our chances. Going into the year I didn't see this team winning the division and nothing has changed in that regard. I did however, see us being better than 3 games over .500 at this point in the season. That's the disappointing part. And watching this team play and seeing the holes on this whole roster, I don't think giving up top prospects just to sneak into the wild card and get bitched in the playoffs is a good strategy.

Yep.  

i guess we did try, so Eppler gets some points. 

Certainly, it’s the Angels’ dream, too. It’s why they strongly pursued Kansas City Royals closer Kelvin Herrera, before he was traded Monday to the Washington Nationals. They remain immersed in talks with multiple teams for pitching. They may be in a free-fall, but knowing there’s no guarantee that Trout will be around past 2020, they’re not about to sacrifice any season.

“It’s a responsibility that myself and my staff take very seriously,’’ Eppler says “getting this club into the postseason. It's inherent in human nature to always want to look ahead, or look behind, people don’t really like to look at now. We’re looking at today.’’

5 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

I'm glad he didn't overpay as we have no idea what the proposal they were asking for from the Angels. However, I really like that ideology. Clearly he's reading my posts on here. You're all welcome that I grace you with such knowledge. Especially you Strad. You're a better person because of me. I take pride in that.

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

Brad Hand will cost a lot i'm told. 

For instance, the Red Sox want him and the Padres told them they want Devers. 

I have a feeling he's thinking bigger than Hand. I'm not sure who that would be as those teams with high end established closers are still in contention. Maybe somehow they can get Britton and Kimbrel. I actually wouldn't even mind them going after someone like Joc Peterson to fill in right field should they get the ball rolling soon on moves.

On 6/18/2018 at 9:29 PM, disarcina said:

nice pick up for the Nats.

am sure the Royals fleeced them for some pretty good prospects in exchange for a closer who can help the Nats NOW.

Royals re-stocking farm.......

Why were the Royals so quick to deal Kelvin Herrera? – The Athletic

Ken Rosenthal

Why now?

Why didn’t the Kansas City Royals just wait for a better deal than the one they received from the Washington Nationals for right-hander Kelvin Herrera, one of the best relievers available in trade?

A number of rival executives expressed surprise the Royals accepted the Nationals’ offer of Double A third baseman Kelvin Gutierrez, High A outfielder Blake Perkins and 17-year-old right-hander Yohanse Morel on Monday, more than six weeks before the non-waiver deadline.

One of those execs cited Herrera’s most recent outing, last Tuesday against the Cincinnati Reds, as a possible factor in the Royals’ thinking. Herrera, 29, entered that game with a 1-0 lead in the ninth inning and blew his second save, issuing his first two walks of the season and allowing a homer to Reds catcher Tucker Barnhart. In the middle of the inning, manager Ned Yost and one of the Royals’ athletic trainers visited Herrera on the mound, seemingly checking on his...

15 hours ago, floplag said:

And this, is what pretenders do...

Today the Angels acquired RHP Deck McGuire from the Rangers in exchange for cash considerations or a PTBNL. McGuire has been optioned to Triple-A @SaltLakeBees. To make room on the 40-man roster, C Juan Graterol has been designated for assignment.

8 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Why were the Royals so quick to deal Kelvin Herrera? – The Athletic

Ken Rosenthal
1-2 minutes

Why now?

Why didn’t the Kansas City Royals just wait for a better deal than the one they received from the Washington Nationals for right-hander Kelvin Herrera, one of the best relievers available in trade?

A number of rival executives expressed surprise the Royals accepted the Nationals’ offer of Double A third baseman Kelvin Gutierrez, High A outfielder Blake Perkins and 17-year-old right-hander Yohanse Morel on Monday, more than six weeks before the non-waiver deadline.

One of those execs cited Herrera’s most recent outing, last Tuesday against the Cincinnati Reds, as a possible factor in the Royals’ thinking. Herrera, 29, entered that game with a 1-0 lead in the ninth inning and blew his second save, issuing his first two walks of the season and allowing a homer to Reds catcher Tucker Barnhart. In the middle of the inning, manager Ned Yost and one of the Royals’ athletic trainers visited Herrera on the mound, seemingly checking on his...

Ruh Roh