• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trump says he’s directing Pentagon to create a new ‘space force’

Yeah I know having Trump suggest anything makes it sound dubious at best. But seeing how vital space is to the US military and NATO, it isn't the worst idea to split the mission off to its own service.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2018/06/18/trump-says-hes-directing-pentagon-to-create-a-new-space-force/?utm_term=.cc85a94c5e31

26 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

I tend to agree with the generals who oppose it because it creates unnecessary additional costs which our defense budget doesn't need and I'll go out on a limb and say they would try to allow private entities too much authority and influence in the operations

Private entities having too much influence in the Air Force? That's unpossible!. ? The problem is though is that the goals of space command and the air force as a whole are quickly diverging. What is best for the Air Force isn't necessarily best for space command as they are two completely separate missions. In fifty years this will be the case ten-fold.

4 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

When’s trump going to release the secret alien files and unleash hysteria ?

They slightly modified this plan to maximize the toxic effect and hatred among the populace. The result?
Image result for the last jedi

2 hours ago, Thomas said:

Yeah I know having Trump suggest anything makes it sound dubious at best. But seeing how vital space is to the US military and NATO, it isn't the worst idea to split the mission off to its own service.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2018/06/18/trump-says-hes-directing-pentagon-to-create-a-new-space-force/?utm_term=.cc85a94c5e31

I just worry that it means spending even more on our defense budget.  I do think we need to give NASA a lot more money, but more for research than militarization.

Since we already have a Space Force in all but name anyway, this probably isn't a big deal.

2 minutes ago, nate said:

I just worry that it means spending even more on our defense budget.  I do think we need to give NASA a lot more money, but more for research than militarization.

Since we already have a Space Force in all but name anyway, this probably isn't a big deal.

This wouldn't really be about NASA at all. It's just giving Space Command a bigger voice in the Pentagon. Clearly judging by the comments out there today on the interwebs roughly 98% of the populace didn't even know it existed. Can't say I did before it became part of my job. 

1 minute ago, Thomas said:

This wouldn't really be about NASA at all. It's just giving Space Command a bigger voice in the Pentagon. Clearly judging by the comments out there today on the interwebs roughly 98% of the populace didn't even know it existed. Can't say I did before it became part of my job. 

Yeah, I know.  I didn't word my post well but basically what I was saying is if there were more money pumped into space I would prefer NASA over the Air Force/Space Force.

But like you said, it already existed, this just makes it more official.  But more bureaucracy, because let's be honest, our government loves it and there is no way this doesn't create more, means more spending.

Also, since China and India's space programs have really taken off, it makes sense for there to be an official wing in our government.

6 minutes ago, nate said:

But like you said, it already existed, this just makes it more official.  But more bureaucracy, because let's be honest, our government loves it and there is no way this doesn't create more, means more spending.

Optimist: More direct accountability.
Pessimist: More bureaucracy. 

Probably right to be pessimistic. But in principal elevating Space Command "feels" right.

6 minutes ago, nate said:

Also, since China and India's space programs have really taken off, it makes sense for there to be an official wing in our government.

The most valid argument is the politics of having an official military branch for space. We kind of signed a treaty not to militarize space.  So it's a thing. But it's been so widely disregarded that what are you going to do? The GPS constellation alone is practically worth its own service. It's THAT important. 

On 6/18/2018 at 11:42 AM, arch stanton said:

I tend to agree with the generals who oppose it because it creates unnecessary additional costs which our defense budget doesn't need and I'll go out on a limb and say they would try to allow private entities too much authority and influence in the operations

Odds are that Trump has billionaire buddies who have been working on pie-in-the-sky ideas that they want to sell to the government.