• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What do you feel is management's plan?

Torridd

I honestly think it's too early to give up so I believe management is on the same thought level. However, if they're not throwing in the towel, then what do they have planned? What is their hard date to get things moving? Are they waiting for a certain point in games, failure, to make a move, and if so, what type of move? Bullpen? Offense? Managerial?

Eppler/Management  has to see that the bullpen is a big stench of the club. Are they waiting for some of the guys to get healthy? Or are they, as some have said many times, waiting for the trade wheel to start?

I don't believe we're out of it, but we've got serious problems that have to be addressed soon. I'd like to know what management is waiting for.

I think they are in "we will make a trade or sign someone if it helps now and long term."  They are quickly working our way out of signing rentals for help this year only.  They know what their weaknesses are better than anyone on here.  After the All Star break we will probably see some veteran players dropped (DFA'd) in favor of playing some of our better prospects.

(Sorry Boogie Man, I didn't see your post before I drafted and posted mine, but I agree totally with you.)

We're in the same twilight zone we were last year....not out of it but struggling enough to give you pause about major moves.....I guess we wait and see where we are in 2/3 weeks before we get serious about buying or selling but I am sure Eppler is monitoring the market, for either buying or selling....we're also where we've been in several recent years when we've been positioned as sellers (if that is where we end up in 2/3 weeks)....we don't have much of value to sell....Joe Smith, Hernandez type of deals have been the norm.....Richards, if he's healthy, might bring back something but we don't know if he'll be healthy in 2/3 weeks....Beyond Richards?  Dunno....Fat contracts nobody wants or under performing vets (Calhoun, Kinsler, Valbuena)...not much there...

Just now, zenmaster said:

The plan overall isn't working. Eppler seemed to be drawn to the former potential great players who had significant injuries or down seasons and hope for a rebound. Well, now all our pitchers arms are falling off so it really isn't working. 

Unless the plan was to rebuild the team without selling off Trout, while still putting up a front about competing by acquiring low-cost bounce-back candidate vets without eating up the farm or payroll.

If that was the plan, it's been working pretty well.

23 minutes ago, nando714 said:

Manager needs to be fired 

shake it up

It’s been stale for the last 9 seasons.

But...but...it's not his fault!

He's doing the best he can with the players he's been given. He's a great manager. Anyone else we hire is bound to be a disappointment next to Mike. I say give him five more years, we're bound to win another World Series with him at the helm. Just be patient.

I think that they've already gone “all in” for 2018. They spent a lot of money for Cozart, Kinsler, Upton and a posting fee for Ohtani. Those moves did nothing to close the gap on Houston and now Seattle is running away with the second wild card while we are struggling with Oakland. Ohtani may be out or put on limited use.

There’s not one single player out there that could make a big difference unless we cleaned the farm out to acquire him. We need more than one guy. Arte’s not going to spend more money on the 2018 Angels. What you see for 2018 is what you get. Their next plan is to somehow put something decent together for Opening Day 2019.

Let the rebuilding continue! Let Albert continue to pursue career milestones from the cleanup spot. Let Valbuena's bat flips continue to entertain us. Let Mike continue to strategize and chew out umpires from the top step of the dugout. Let the baserunning be aggressive, the relief pitchers atrocious, and the games blown in late innings. Let the medical staff stay busy putting arms and elbows back in their rightful positions. 

I'm in it for the long haul. I just hope they get back to the playoffs before they move me to assisted living.

Honestly, I was on the fence about it before the latest wave of injuries.

As a reminder, the Angels had a pitching staff of all damaged goods this year.  Bunch of pitchers with major injury history, it is not like this is surprising.  Since pitchers are so expensive on the FA market and trade market, the Angels would be best served to keep developing pitchers in the system, rather than trading them away.

10 minutes ago, nate said:

As a reminder, the Angels had a pitching staff of all damaged goods this year.  Bunch of pitchers with major injury history, it is not like this is surprising.  Since pitchers are so expensive on the FA market and trade market, the Angels would be best served to keep developing pitchers in the system, rather than trading them away.

The starting pitching hasn't been the problem. Its actually been one of the better parts of the team. The biggest problem with the team is and always has been the poor tactical lineup strategy and bullpen management. There's one person responsible for that. It honestly doesn't matter who Eppler brings in at this point. I have zero confidence that Scioscia would utilize them appropriately. The sooner he's gone the sooner the team will get back to playoff contention. When you have the best player in baseball and zero playoff wins to show for it in almost a decade there are no excuses.

29 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Unless the plan was to rebuild the team without selling off Trout, while still putting up a front about competing by acquiring low-cost bounce-back candidate vets without eating up the farm or payroll.

If that was the plan, it's been working pretty well.

I think the plan has been ok but it has a limited ceiling.....unless a lot of things go right (and they have not this year), the ceiling is fringe wild card contention.....let's hope some of the minor league guys move fast through the system...that's a key part of "the plan"....

3 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

The starting pitching hasn't been the problem. Its actually been one of the better parts of the team. The biggest problem with the team is and always has been the poor tactical lineup strategy and bullpen management. There's one person responsible for that. It honestly doesn't matter who Eppler brings in at this point. I have zero confidence that Scioscia would utilize them appropriately. The sooner he's gone the sooner the team will get back to playoff contention. When you have the best player in baseball and zero playoff wins to show for it in almost a decade there are no excuses.

+1,000,000

23 minutes ago, nate said:

Agreed, except that Richards seems to go on the DL every season.    If he can return by late June/early July and pitch well for 3 weeks, then trade him for the best deal you can get, preferably a pitching prospect or two.

Let's face it, he will seemingly always be DL'd at some point in a season.   Something like that has a small chance of changing anytime soon.    

And there is no way he will turn down a QO, which means it's either trade him or get a comp draft pick for him. 

37 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

You really believe Scioscia is stopping us from getting to the playoffs? I don't think another manager could do much better with our roster and injuries. Pujols is here and has to play.

1 minute ago, Torridd said:

You really believe Scioscia is stopping us from getting to the playoffs? I don't think another manage could do much better with our roster and injuries. Pujols is here and has to play.

Yes, I do. That statement is the theme of 9 years in a row? How can you honestly believe that in 9 years, we just have been that unlucky? How is it that teams like Oakland can play just about .500 baseball to this point with no where near the talent the angels have at every single position?

Pujols doesn't pitch, nor does he making pitching changes...think about that before you try to justify just how disgustingly bad Scioscia has been.

31 minutes ago, Torridd said:

Pujols is here and has to play.

This same thread will pop up again some time next season too. He’s the elephant in the room and until he announces his swan song season that will absolutely involve a Jeter type final year ballpark tour, he’s going to be here hitting in the middle of the order. 

11 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Yes, I do. That statement is the theme of 9 years in a row? How can you honestly believe that in 9 years, we just have been that unlucky? How is it that teams like Oakland can play just about .500 baseball to this point with no where near the talent the angels have at every single position?

Pujols doesn't pitch, nor does he making pitching changes...think about that before you try to justify just how disgustingly bad Scioscia has been.

All I can say is that Scioscia won't be here forever and then we'll see if you were correct.

4 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

You must not be a fan of winning...looks like you came to the right place. You fit right into the rest of the excuse makers.

But he’s not wrong. Once you’ve made your point but keep posting the same crap ad nauseum you’re a whiny little bitch. You and a few others should just go start a circle jerk and congratulate each other on how smart you are for predicting the misery then perpetuating it