• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels program from 1975

Someone asked me to dig up one of my old Daytona 500 programs from the 1970s. In the same box I found this - a game program from Anaheim, June of 1975, my first trip to the stadium. The Texas Rangers were in town, a scheduled doubleheader. Frank Tanana set what was then an AL record for strikeouts by a lefthander with 17 in the first game.

Angels_1975.jpg

9 hours ago, Dick B Back said:

I loved watching Tanana!

Ryan, Tanana,, and two days of cryin’

1977 was exhibit A.   They pitched shutouts against the expansion M’s to open that season.   Then they lost the next two to the M’s before Tanana won game 5.  The two must have had almost half of the 74 wins that season.   The home opener against the same M’s, I came the closest to seeing a no-hitter in person.   Ryan gave up a double in the 3rd, and nothing else.

3 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

1977 was exhibit A.   They pitched shutouts against the expansion M’s to open that season.   Then they lost the next two to the M’s before Tanana won game 5.  The two must have had almost half of the 74 wins that season.   The home opener against the same M’s, I came the closest to seeing a no-hitter in person.   Ryan gave up a double in the 3rd, and nothing else.

Oops @Angel Oracle, you’ve got the names backwards. 

13 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

2 hours ago, The Boogie Man said:

I love this stuff.  

2 hours ago, The Boogie Man said:

I love this stuff.  

I remember going to a game with my father when Ryan pitched against the Rangers and he gave up a first inning  single to Alex Johnson and that was it.

I never saw Ryan pitch in the majors, but he was in the Mets farm system when Jacksonville was the Mets' AAA farm club. A lot of pitching talent came through there: Ryan, Tom Seaver, Jerry Koosman, Gary Gentry, Tug McGraw...

The way that I remember Nolan Ryan.

41e01Wp7f3L.jpg

Before anyone knew who he was, word got out that the Mets had a kid who was throwing 100MPH, and he was being called up to AAA. The park was nearly full for that first start. Ryan was very fast, but he had no control whatsoever. I was afraid that he might kill a hitter if he hit him.