• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLB Sees a Sharp Drop in Attendance

Lhalo

6 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Yep. I've been to just three games so far this year (all Angels vs. Ms at Safeco) and have spent a total of $446.89 per my calculations. Oh and I don't pay for parking either. 

3 games! 

That's insane...You could have had filled up your gas tank 2 times for that :P

Luckily I've got a primo ticket connection, otherwise i'd rather just have a cocktail and cigar at the house and not have to put on pants or deal with the crowds.

I took my son to go see Albert get his 2999th hit.  We used ticket vouchers ($10 a piece).  We paid $10 for parking,  and probably $50 for food.  So I could see it easily costing $250 for four tickets and food.  When my wife and I go, we have a few drinks, those are more expensive days.  But you can easily make the game affordable if you so desired.  

2 hours ago, zenmaster said:

It's a good thing we still have games blacked out on TV in the year 2018 or else the numbers would be even lower!!

Which games are blacked out? I get every game on YoutubeTV, and I could get them on Spectrum, if I hadn't cut the cable. I guess if I were a Dodger fan I might understand. Although I think a lot of Dodger fans use MLBtv with a proxy server to watch.

2 hours ago, WeatherWonk said:

People cant afford these games and the associated expenses. Just read yesterday that the rise in gas prices costs the average family an addition 70.00/month over the same month last year. There goes a big chunk of discretionary spending each month.

If you think baseball is expensive, you'll need a second mortgage to go to a football game. Once the Rams move into their new stadium, club seats the Rams will sell licenses in that area for somewhere between $15,000 and $35,000. You will need a license to be able to buy seats in that area for $375 each. VIP seats require $100,000 license for the right to nut tickets.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/rams-selling-seat-licenses-for-up-to-100000-at-new-l-a-stadium-chargers-cheaper/

18 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Which games are blacked out? I get every game on YoutubeTV, and I could get them on Spectrum, if I hadn't cut the cable. I guess if I were a Dodger fan I might understand. Although I think a lot of Dodger fans use MLBtv with a proxy server to watch.

I can't watch the Angels on MLB TV due to blackout rules. I don't have cable.

2 hours ago, WeatherWonk said:

Just read yesterday that the rise in gas prices costs the average family an addition 70.00/month over the same month last year. There goes a big chunk of discretionary spending each month.

The price of gas may be more now than last year, but still cheaper than it was 2 or 3 years ago.

I think the problem is today's society.  People these days want everything faster and have little patience, which of course aren't hallmarks of baseball.  Everything about baseball from the long season, the lack of action, the speed of the game, and just the lack of intensity of the games just screams "I'M BORING" to today's casual sports fan.  Baseball has seen declining interest in the past 25 years and the problem has further increased the past 5-10 years with the advent of mobile technologies.  I don't think it's the cost, football and especially here in LA, basketball games continually sell out and the tickets for those are much more expensive.  

1 minute ago, aznhockeyguy said:

I think the problem is today's society.  People these days want everything faster and have little patience, which of course aren't hallmarks of baseball.  Everything about baseball from the long season, the lack of action, the speed of the game, and just the lack of intensity of the games just screams "I'M BORING" to today's casual sports fan.  Baseball has seen declining interest in the past 25 years and the problem has further increased the past 5-10 years with the advent of mobile technologies.  I don't think it's the cost, football and especially here in LA, basketball games continually sell out and the tickets for those are much more expensive.  

Baseball could be a whole lot better.  If you ever watched a game in the 70’s on ESPN Classic, it was just a better, quicker game.  The pitcher caught the ball and pitched the ball.  The batter never left the batters box.  Games were 2:20 long.  It was a much faster paced game.  

1 minute ago, The Boogie Man said:

Baseball could be a whole lot better.  If you ever watched a game in the 70’s on ESPN Classic, it was just a better, quicker game.  The pitcher caught the ball and pitched the ball.  The batter never left the batters box.  Games were 2:20 long.  It was a much faster paced game.  

I love baseball and don't mind the length of the game at all. When I was a kid and had to go Dodger stadium before the Angels were in Anaheim, I hoped for extra innings.

Just now, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

I love baseball and don't mind the length of the game at all. When I was a kid and had to go Dodger stadium before the Angels were in Anaheim, I hoped for extra innings.

It isn’t the length of the game, it is the pace of the game.  

18 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

YoutubeTV carries all the games for $35/month. Spectrum also has a streaming service for $29/m. Get a proxy server and you could watch on MLBtv.

or get a streaming device like the AFTV and watch for free

11 minutes ago, aznhockeyguy said:

The average fan can't afford to go to a football game, a person needs to be very well off to afford to go. Celebrities usually fill the best seats at basketball games.

As far as attendance declining it depends a lot on how well the team is doing and the condition of the stadium. With so many teams doing a complete rebuild and tanking to get get better draft picks this year probably accounts for much of the drop off. Also Oakland's coliseum is such a dump it's no wonder their attendance is down every year. A lot of the good teams and teams in larger markets are doing just fine with their attendance.

https://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/2010s-ballpark-attendance/

I personally dont think length of games has anything to do with it at all.  It has never bothered me in the slightest. 
Even ticket prices arent that atrocious, save for the really really good ones, most stadiums you can get pretty good seats at what i think is a reasonable price but i can see why some would think its too high.
Consessions, parking, yeah, thats obscene. 
Going to the ballpark with the kids shoulnt cost as much as a mortgage payment 

4 hours ago, Blarg said:

It's all about the money. That is what curtails my attendence. I grew up on seats being very affordable but now it's just stupid money to go to a game and sit somewhere close to the action and have a couple hot dogs and a drink. 

While I enjoy the experience of live sports, high definition television has pretty much killed any incentive I have to spend the time and the money going to sporting events. I can get a better view from the comfort of my couch, 15-20 feet from the kitchen and the bathroom.

I still go to lots of games... not as many as I used to (70ish), but still a lot (40+).  Weekday games are harder because they end so late.  It seems like every time we're at the stadium - we are the very last game to finish that night.  I can't always hang in there till the end any more.

I just love being at the park.  We bring our own food and water.  We do pay to park, but we keep our expenses low.  I remember the days when the Angels had way more season ticket holders... those were fun times.  Our section was like the movie "Fever Pitch" - where you felt like the folks around you were your summer family.  Not like that any more.  Winning definitely brings fans out and losing keeps them away.

I used to make a point of being at every one of Jered Weaver's starts.  When Ohtani was pitching - I tried to make all of those. 

I hate missing games.  I always feel like I'm going to miss Mike Trout doing something amazing.  Getting home from work, getting food to take, etc. has just become more work.  It's so easy to just sit down and watch the tube - but it's just not the same for me.