• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ohtani Update

T.G.

Per Jon Heyman...

https://frsbaseball.com/mlb/angels/heyman-sources-say-ohtani-ucl-tear-is-a-new-one/

The Los Angeles Angels seemed to do everything right for two-way sensation Shohei Ohtani, but sources say the Grade 2 tear found is a new tear, unrelated to the Grade 1 tear he was reported to have when he picked the Angels. 

I personally don't believe that hitting played a factor in the injury.  Therefore, he should do the surgery asap, come back better than ever, and get back to being the unique 2 way talent that he was.  He will be fine.  We have seen many pitchers have TJ surgery and come back and be just as effective.  Lets not waste any more time.  The sooner he's back the sooner he can be part of a significant playoff run with the Angels.  

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Does this raise questions about his durability down the road?    Maybe he needs to decide on hitting full time or pitching full time down the road?

This franchise deserves good health news for the next 2-3 years, to make up for the totally crappy past 2 or 3  3-4 years!!!!!

Fixed

40 minutes ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

Because he is right handed.

and that means what?

Has he ever hit right handed before? At any advanced level? Most pitchers are asked to "hit" the same side they throw with, in large part to protect their arm and yet Ohtani bats left handed so doesn't that tell you he's much better from the left side

13 minutes ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

This is all a moot point.  Ohtani will pitch again. 

All I am saying is that if Ohtani decided to never pitch again, switch hitting is on the table because he has already done the hard part, learn to hit from the left side as a right hander.  I am not one to underestimate Shohei Ohtani's ability to learn hitting right handed, especially when Ohtani is right handed.

Image result for facepalm animated gif

As has been noted elsewhere, the timelines for hitting and pitching are different after TJS. Even if Ohtani has the surgery, say, in August, he could still start 2019 as the main DH. The Angels might want to baby him to start, but I could see him getting 120+ starts as DH, while not pitching until next offseason. 

Either way it seems very unlikely he pitched again in 2018, even if stem cells are successful. I’m my non-expert and entirely speculative opinion, best case scenario is that he returns as DH some time in the second half.

4 hours ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

This is all a moot point.  Ohtani will pitch again. 

All I am saying is that if Ohtani decided to never pitch again, switch hitting is on the table because he has already done the hard part, learn to hit from the left side as a right hander.  I am not one to underestimate Shohei Ohtani's ability to learn hitting right handed, especially when Ohtani is right handed.

He should pitch left handed until his right elbow is healed.