• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is it time to move Trout @lineup

It's pretty simple...people need to be on base when he's up so he can have RBI opportunities and so far this season he hasn't had many of those.

I'm fine with Simba batting lead-off, as Simmons has the best shot of anyone in the line-up right now of getting base ahead of Trout, but he's injured and no one else in the line-up has a decent OBP apart from Trout himself and Justin Upton at .340.  Maybe have Upton lead off...why not?

Just now, tomsred said:

The problem still remains, we don't have an acceptable lead off hitter.  Kinsler is not consistent enough.  Maybe Fletcher can develop into that guy, but it is too much to put on his plate at this moment.

Kinsler is a sub-.300 OBP hitter, he shouldn't be near the lead-off spot.  Fletcher should be given a shot 

It's not gonna matter.  151 of his 224 career hrs are solo shots.  you put guys on in front of him and he'll just walk more and hit fewer hrs.  they just won't pitch to him.  

lineup protection may or may not be a myth, but you definitely can't protect Trout.  When would a pitcher ever choose to face Trout over any other player?  

Yesterday was a perfect example.  Teams are going to be willing to move the other runners up into better scoring position if it means negating his power.  

By moving him down you're exchanging his power for more obp and taking away 20 at bats for each spot down.  If you move him to 4th and he has 40 less plate appearances, that 7 fewer walks, 3 fewer hrs, 2 fewer doubles and 10 fewer hits overall.  He also scores fewer runs because there's no one to drive him in.  

Look at 2015 vs. 2016.  

2015 he hit a bunch of solos shots with a 991 ops

2016 he had more opps with guys on base and hit 29hrs with a .441 obp and 991 ops.  

He's on a different level this year than those seasons, so who knows what would really happen.  My guess is that he'd walk 200 times.  

Didn't Eckstein immediately hit leadoff when debuting as a MLB player and Halos 2B in 2001?  

Fletcher has a lot of the same traits.

When Simba heals: Fletcher (3B), Simba, Trout, Upton, Pujols, Valbuena/JMF, Kinsler (7th = best spot in his career), RF hole, Machete  

Cozart = world's most expensive utility guy, until he can actually hit again! 

26 minutes ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

I think if Ohtani comes back, and hits well again, teams would not walk Trout if Shohei hits behind him.  Teams would give Trout a steady diet of fastballs up and in instead.

sure they'd walk him.  a ton.  especially Lhers.  they try to pitch him up and or in now.  but you can't do that with every pitch and pitchers make mistakes which is why he's got an ops or 1.100.  Ohtani is doing a nice job but every pitcher on the planet would rather face Shohei over Trout.  

4 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Do something, it’s a total joke that your star has 23 HRs and is not even to 50 rbis yet!

IMHO one of the reasons Trout has so few rbi is because he's batting second most of the time..the dude needs to bat third.

It might only make a minor difference with this current team but that's my take.

9 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

...and then a black hole until the top of the order comes around again.

I am excited about Fletcher and JMF however. Are there more kids ready to bring up?

Maybe but the point of baseball is to score runs. If Trout has runners on when he bats the odds of scoring more runs go way up. I would rather have 3 players with the best chance of getting on bunched together than getting 1 runner on in every inning and being stranded because the better hitters are separated throughout the line up.

There is no point in batting Trout third when you don't have a single above average bat to hit ahead of him. At this point they should be considering batting him leadoff before even considering third. At least of he can maximize his on base skill and his base running while giving the losers behind him three chances to drive him in.

21 hours ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

I think if Ohtani comes back, and hits well again, teams would not walk Trout if Shohei hits behind him.  Teams would give Trout a steady diet of fastballs up and in instead.

Your second sentence says the exact opposite of your first sentence. 

On 6/14/2018 at 10:35 AM, BackUpTheTruck said:

Your second sentence says the exact opposite of your first sentence. 

--------------------------------------

No it doesn't, it just says they'll pitch Trout more carefully, instead of walking him.