• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Season low point ?

Season low point ?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What has been the low point of the 2018 season for the Angels ?

• Today
    • 06/13/2018
    • Right now

The Angels have been swept three times this season. Once against Boston, once against the Yankees, and once against Seattle. In every sweep, they had entered the series with positive momentum.

Boston - They were 13-3, and had completed a 7-0 road trip.
Yankees - They had just taken 2 of 3 from Houston on the road.
Seattle - They entered the series winning 6 of their last 7, and 7 of their last 9. 

Because they had been playing well leading into these series, the sweeps have been even more demoralizing than if the Angels were already struggling. 

Just now, nate said:

Time to sell.  Sucks that Richards went down because he is the one player that might have brought an OK return.

Also time to fire Scioscia.  That moronic choice to try to bunt in the top of the 9th was the worst, and then his players fundamentals absolutely abhorrent.

Why was bunting in the 9th a moronic choice? Fontana's execution was moronic.

The Mariners feel like our team from 2014. Feels like a hot season for them but they don't seem like a legit contender. They have some ballers though, no doubt. 

Not that it isn't discouraging to see us play this way, but I do like that we're actually seeing some production come from previous blackholes in our lineup with the additions of JMF and Fletcher. I also do trust Eppler to make moves to fix the bullpen; knowing what we can work with at the major league level from our AAA crop must surely paint a better picture for him of what holes he will need to fill this year.

I would rather play this way now so Eppler makes some moves at the deadline, we pick up some steam and then get hot in September to make the playoffs and be hot at the right time to make a run in the playoffs. Better than being too hot too early and then fizzling out, although if Billy continues to sit and wait, we may be too late.

23 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Only a handful of scenarios where it makes sense.  Almost always it’s not good. 

I agree with this. However, in the 9th with a runner on 1st and nobody out, it makes sense for Fontana to bunt. Take away the GIDP opportunity, and make the runner a single away from scoring.

2 minutes ago, nate said:

Sac bunts and sac flies are very different.  A sac bunt is giving away an out.  Analytics support the fact that it is never worth it.

Curious on these analytics are they factoring in the double whammy negative potential of a ground ball double play? And also are they factoring in these are done normally when a team only needs 1 run.... so obviously it does deter from a bigger inning.... as you have 1 less out to work with. I am just asking because I really have never researched the analytics on it.

I didn’t watch the game, but I know Fontana failed to get two bunts down.   I’ll tell you that I’m not a fan of the sacrifice bunt, but I’m perfectly fine with it when it’s to advance a runner to third, to put the tying, go ahead, winning run or insurance run on third with less than two outs in the bottom of the 8th or later.  

40 minutes ago, Griffey's Corner said:

Curious on these analytics are they factoring in the double whammy negative potential of a ground ball double play? And also are they factoring in these are done normally when a team only needs 1 run.... so obviously it does deter from a bigger inning.... as you have 1 less out to work with. I am just asking because I really have never researched the analytics on it.

Yes, it takes all of that into account.