• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Today, the Angels have a 21% chance of making the playoffs

So what do we do do ? Buy ? Sell ? Stand ? 

I think that Seattle has a pretty glaring weakness in its rotation and that we have a opportunity to catch them.  Especially considering all the games we’ll play against them throughout the rest of the season.  They’re really the only team we have to catch.  So I say we buy and improve right now but without trading any of our top 5 or 6 prospects.  I am open to trading Suarez, Thaiss and Ward (not all of them of course) 

These players should command decent returns and give us good position with players acquired that we’d like to keep.  Outside of Canning our best prospects are not coming in the near term.  The Angels can’t wait for that.  We need to look to improve outside of the organization.  So many teams are in complete tank mode.  The opportunity should be there.  IMO, the Angels are best served acting sooner then later when presumably the Red Sox, Yankees and NL teams are looking to improve.  

Act soon Billy !

Edited by UndertheHalo

2 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

So what do we do do ? Buy ? Sell ? Stand ? 

I think that Seattle has a pretty glaring weakness in its rotation and that we have a opportunity to catch them with all the games we’ll play against them throughout the rest of the season.  They’re really the only team we have to catch.  So I say we buy and improve right now but without trading any of our top 5 or 6 prospects.  I am open to trading Suarez, Thaiss and Ward (not all of them of course) 

These players should command decent returns and give us good position with players acquired that we’d like to keep.  Outside of Canning our best prospects are not coming in the near term.  The Angels can’t wait for that.  We need to look to improve outside of the organization.  So many teams are in complete tank mode.  The opportunity should be there.  IMO, the Angels are best served acting sooner then later when presumably the Red Sox, Yankees and NL teams are looking to improve.  

Act soon Billy !

Look internally for help for another month!

If there was ever a situation that called for not waiting till the deadline, we are it.  If we wait, and things don't magically get better, we will be down to half that percentage at best and it becomes self fulfilling as there is then no reason to make changes.

We have no bullpen, no real 1B, and no RF.  Expecting rookies from SLC to come in and be saviors is ostrich syndrome.  Even worse they are back to looking like they have no heart.  

We are 6 out of the playoff spot chasing a team that has grossly over achieved.  Sea will fall back, i dont see any other scenario for them.  They are certainly NOT better than Hou in any alternate reality anymore than we are.  Luck is a factor, they have had it we have not.

Statistically the Ms and angels are near identical.  Were actually better in almost every way on paper, but they have won games they should not have and we have lost ones we should have won.    There is no statistical reason why they are 6 games better than we are, none.  They have played lesser opponents more than we have and they have won games they should have won, we haven't.   This is simply not sustainable for them barring divine intervention. 

4 minutes ago, floplag said:

If there was ever a situation that called for not waiting till the deadline, we are it.  If we wait, and things don't magically get better, we will be down to half that percentage at best and it becomes self fulfilling as there is then no reason to make changes.

We have no bullpen, no real 1B, and no RF.  Expecting rookies from SLC to come in and be saviors is ostrich syndrome.  Even worse they are back to looking like they have no heart.  

We are 6 out of the playoff spot chasing a team that has grossly over achieved.  Sea will fall back, i dont see any other scenario for them.  They are certainly NOT better than Hou in any alternate reality anymore than we are.  Luck is a factor, they have had it we have not.

Statistically the Ms and angels are near identical.  Were actually better in almost every way on paper, but they have won games they should not have and we have lost ones we should have won.    There is no statistical reason why they are 6 games better than we are, none.  They have played lesser opponents more than we have and they have won games they should have won, we haven't.   This is simply not sustainable for them barring divine intervention. 

so.. they're better.

what does the "best in division (on paper)" pennant look like? 

4 hours ago, stanick88 said:

Aww, the old kicking the can down the road method that has never worked for us. How about Let’s go get help now. 

Its not kicking the can down the road.  It's called not panicking and make q drastic love.  Outside of the bullpen we should try JMF and Fletcher for our infield needs.  Try Loriano, Revere, Young or see if Valhouns head is straight for the outfield.

Bullpen needs help but we cannot make a panic trade.

Don’t make any trade for a rental until the deadline and then only if the team is playing better by then.  If you can get a player or two that can help now and in the future then do it as long as you aren’t buying high.  This team doesn’t deserve to be improved upon if it means mortgaging the future.  

On 6/13/2018 at 2:29 PM, floplag said:

I'd say that 1B is a solution we have internally: JMF.

As far as the bullpen and RF are concerned, yes, we need improvements there, stat! It's possible we could identify an internal solution to RF after this year, so we could trade for a rental.

I would also like a reliable front-end of the rotation starter. Will that cost us possible future capital? Yes, absolutely. However, for the first time in a LONG time, we have solid prospect depth.

I'm not one to overreact, but could you imagine the haul we could get for Simba, one of Heaney or Skaggs, Richards, and even Kinsler or Maldy at the deadline? 

Things would have to go way south, but they could install Suarez, Canning, Fletcher, Ward, Fernandez and add to the farm. Could be arguably the top farm in baseball. 

18 hours ago, Mark68 said:

I'd say that 1B is a solution we have internally: JMF.

As far as the bullpen and RF are concerned, yes, we need improvements there, stat! It's possible we could identify an internal solution to RF after this year, so we could trade for a rental.

I would also like a reliable front-end of the rotation starter. Will that cost us possible future capital? Yes, absolutely. However, for the first time in a LONG time, we have solid prospect depth.

i also have high hopes for JMF, I've gone so far as to suggest getting him an OF mitt to explore possible RF options.  BUT... until he proves it hes still a question mark at this level. 
My priority all off season was the pen, why this was left unaddressed is the one glaring failure in Eppler's plan, whatever that may be. 
I like our depth on the farm, i think we can address most of our needs without gutting it by looking at the right guys who wont cost a ton in prospects.

The real issues has become when, if at all, they plan to do so.   We are now 7 games behind a team we are statistically superior to in almost every category but W.  While they have been lucky and we have not, that doesnt change the fact.  We need to act, and we should not wait till the deadline to do so, by then it may not matter.