• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Kole Calhoun news

Chuck

23 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Hatred? Nice straw man. I don’t see much hatred for Kole - just a recognition for how bad he was. 

Your “at worst” scenario is not the at worst scenario, because what we were actually seeing through a third of a season was historically atrocious performance and no sign of finding his way out. So “at worst” he continued as is and has the worst qualifying season in decades if not ever, with -3 WAR or something.

Like everyone else, I hope he comes back strong but I also don’t think a few games of Hermoblash is enough of an audition. 

straw man???  lol  
Prior to this season his worst statistical WAR for any FULL SEASON was 2.1 last year.   Cutting it up into a block that suits you doesnt change that.
A third of a season isnt a full season, by your logic Paul Goldschmidt among many others in MLB should have been sent down or DFAd, were they?.
And yes i said hatred, people have been calling for him to get dumped even last year when he put up a 2 WAR, that makes zero logical sense.  I think many are happy hes been terrible to justify bad takes. 
Yes, hes been historically bad, but then again so has literally everyone else called up to try to do better. 
The best option for the club is to get him back to what he can be, thats  a no brainer, but forgive me if i dont think you are sincere on that hope. 

12 minutes ago, floplag said:

straw man???  lol  
Prior to this season his worst statistical WAR for any FULL SEASON was 2.1 last year.   Cutting it up into a block that suits you doesnt change that.
A third of a season isnt a full season, by your logic Paul Goldschmidt among many others in MLB should have been sent down or DFAd, were they?.
And yes i said hatred, people have been calling for him to get dumped even last year when he put up a 2 WAR, that makes zero logical sense.  I think many are happy hes been terrible to justify bad takes. 
Yes, hes been historically bad, but then again so has literally everyone else called up to try to do better. 
The best option for the club is to get him back to what he can be, thats  a no brainer, but forgive me if i dont think you are sincere on that hope. 

Paul Goldschmidt never had an OPS this year close to .374.

.370 Facking 4. That is the OPS Calhoun has. He deserved to be sent to North Korea.

14 minutes ago, floplag said:

straw man???  lol  

The Paul Goldschmidt comp is pretty bad Flop. 

32 minutes ago, floplag said:

jesus christ... was he or was he not sucking it up till recently?  my god i didnt suggest it as an absolute FFS. 
whatever... 

Context matters.  Calhoun is not remotely comparable to Paul Goldschmidt.  Not sure why this upsets you.  

I get what you’re saying.  Guys turn it around.  But Calhoun does not strike me as a very good candidate to expect a sudden turn around.  He’s been on the down trend for a while with the bat.  He hasn’t earned or deserve the kind of benefit of the doubt that you’re talking about.  He’ll come back and get another look.  But if it was up to me, I would be unwilling to give him another month of AB’s.  2 weeks max.  If he’s not hitting the ball hard.  He’s out. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

23 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Context matters.  Calhoun is not remotely comparable to Paul Goldschmidt.  Not sure why this upsets you.  

I get what you’re saying.  Guys turn it around.  But Calhoun does not strike me as a very good candidate to expect a sudden turn around.  He’s been on the down trend for a while with the bat.  He hasn’t earned or deserve the kind of benefit of the doubt that your talking about.  He’ll come back and get another look.  But if it was up to me, I would be unwilling to give him another month of AB’s.  2 weeks max.  If he’s not hitting the ball hard.  He’s out. 

Pretty much this. First I'd keep him in AAA for awhile, see if there's some improvement. Then call him up and give him a couple weeks of regular play. But clearly he can't just keep playing while hitting like a pitcher.

@floplag, don't be silly - of course I want him to succeed. Obviously a resurgent Calhoun is the best-case scenario for the club and that he should be given another chance. But you are seemingly ignoring just how bad he has been (a 6 OPS+!!!) and for how long. This isn't a garden-variety slow start. This is a player who can't hit. At all.

He started really slow last year, but not this bad. He was hitting .207/.289/.315 through May 31 before having a more typical rest of the year (.265/.357/.434). Let's see if he can do that, but I'm certain that Eppler is considering other options.

5 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

So, what happens if Calhoun sucks against Triple-A pitching during his rehab? You know, the same pitching Jabari Blash destroyed?

5 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

We all know the answer to this is that we put him in the Angels line up !

Moving-animated-finger-pointing-up.gif

4 hours ago

Update: Kole Calhoun hit a homer in his first AB of his rehab assignment at AAA.

1 minute ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Jeff FletcherVerified account @JeffFletcherOCR 4h4 hours ago

Update: Kole Calhoun hit a homer in his first AB of his rehab assignment at AAA.

Jeff Fletcher added,

Jeff FletcherVerified account @JeffFletcherOCR

Kole Calhoun is taking a step toward returning to the #Angels. Also, a big week for the Fletcher family (not mine). https://www.ocregister.com/2018/06/13/angels-kole-calhoun-set-to-begin-rehab-assignment-at-aaa/ 

That’s encouraging 

6 hours ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

Kole Calhoun hit his home run to right field. 

If Calhoun is ever going to be a successful major league hitter again, he must hit the ball opposite field with consistency.  If he stays pull happy, nothing will change for him.

Calhoun grounded out to the second baseman, and flied out to the center fielder and left fielder. 

What I want to see from Kole in Salt Lake is for him to hit sharply hit ground balls between the third baseman and shortstop with the same regularity that Jabari Blash hit his 18 home runs.  That is roughly one in every 10 at bats.  If he cannot do that in AAA, then he will continue to struggle in the big leagues.

Shame on him for hitting his homer to RF! Loser!

I swear, some people are never happy.

6 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Always wanted a player named Sixto.   MLB hasn’t had one since Sixto Lezcano back in the mid 1970s to mid 1980s.

Bro, just thinking the same thing. I tried to name my only child "Sixto" but since that child was a girl, wife would have nothing to do with it

16 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Jeff FletcherVerified account @JeffFletcherOCR 4h4 hours ago

Jeff Fletcher added,

Jeff FletcherVerified account @JeffFletcherOCR

Kole Calhoun is taking a step toward returning to the #Angels. Also, a big week for the Fletcher family (not mine). https://www.ocregister.com/2018/06/13/angels-kole-calhoun-set-to-begin-rehab-assignment-at-aaa/ 

You know who also hit with slc..blash. Not saying much at all