• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Billy Eppler and the Impossible Mission Force.

I think since Day One, Eppler's truest underlying goal was initiating a rebuild, but not in the usual sense, and without going the 'tanking' route. 

Knowing that the division was going to be a tough task with the Astros entrenched for the time being, it didn't make sense continuously burning money or prospect currency chasing them, but the Halos still had enough money to roll the dice on mid-ground vets who, to the casual fan, give enough semblance of hope for a competitive team year in and year out. Play for that Wild Card, and anything could happen. 

This year's aggressive minor league promotions tend to add credence to that.

Any success they had at the big-league level was a cherry on the top. And that's not to say they weren't serious about winning - that's definitely the goal - but I think deep down there was an awareness that the MLB team still had a lot of potential to crack. The goal was to not burn the farm or block up payroll in an effort to win - it was to let that success come organically from the farm, while maintaining a guise of a competitive team through recognizable stopgap vets.

11 hours ago, Lou said:

on the subject of long posts, doc is one of the few posters here that I take the time to read. Off the top of my head, I would include @Inside Pitch @John Taylor @Hubs and @DowningRules 

if I haven't mentioned you it's because either my memory failed me, or more likely, you're just a windbag. 

ps I miss HaloThunder 

I'm honored to be a recipient of the 2018 "@Lou Reads my posts" award. I'd like to thank all the other AW posters, Jesus, and Dick Schofield for being an inspiration.