• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

"Why Yankees have a better shot at adding Mike Trout..."

17 minutes ago, stormngt said:

During the 2000's our fa system was considered one of the best.  However DMAc got injured and flopped, Kotchman was not a double machine but a mediocre 1b.  Wood maybe the greatest flop in history.

I dont know a lot about other prospects from other organizations but I'd you want me to name other top prospects:

Where is Ackley these days? Would Profar be starting if not for injuries?  In fact I thought the Rangers farm was supposed to win the several world series? How about that Yankee catching prospect whose name started with an M? He was supposed to be a future all star.   How did Houghs career turn out.

I am sure the failures in our system is not anomoly but happens in every franchise.

No doubt that most farms actually have a high fail rate including the Yankees, Dodgers and Red Sox. Many flops along the way. 

This is all hypothetical, but if it turns out he's not willing to sign an extension before the contract runs out, the risk of not signing him increases exponentially. $400-450 million to play for a team with 27 World Series titles, and a chance to have a monument next to Ruth and all the rest? Compared to staying here and chasing a second wild card while surrounded by the Valbuenas and Cozarts of baseball? A no-brainer choice.

If we lose him and get nothing in return, it will be a massive failure. Better to trade him before that happens. We could get a mega haul if we do this right.

I love all these speculative articles based on nothing, and the people who have this idea that the Angels FO is asleep at the wheel when it comes to Trout. Hopefully they read this board so that they'll remember that Trout is a FA after 2020.

2 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

This is all hypothetical, but if it turns out he's not willing to sign an extension before the contract runs out, the risk of not signing him increases exponentially. $400-450 million to play for a team with 27 World Series titles, and a chance to have a monument next to Ruth and all the rest? Compared to staying here and chasing a second wild card while surrounded by the Valbuenas and Cozarts of baseball? A no-brainer choice.

If we lose him and get nothing in return, it will be a massive failure. Better to trade him before that happens. We could get a mega haul if we do this right.

That is the key, no rushing into anything, but don't be left holding the bag ultimately.   The latest they could trade him and get the right package would be the off-season after 2019.   So, they essentially have another 1.5 years to extend him.  

9 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

I’m not talking about trading Trout. I’m saying that they have players that can perform at the major league level right now that they don’t have room for. Sick depth while we are rolling out Blash and Young. Trading Trout would be stupid at this point. 

Drury was slated to be their starting third baseman but they have a couple of superstar rookies who won’t let that happen. 

the yankees did a couple of things that were very smart.  They bit the bullet and traded Miller and Chapman back in 2016.  Getting Sheffield, Frazier,  Bill McKinney, Gleyber Torres, and three nice relief prospects.  They also grabbed as many international prospects as they could before the rules changed.  6 of their current top 8 were international signs from 2012-2014.  

They recently graduated Sanchez, Severino and Judge and are in the middle of doing so with Torres and Andujar.   They've got a few other good young players as well.  

I can see why they're your favorite team. 

13 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

the yankees did a couple of things that were very smart.  They bit the bullet and traded Miller and Chapman back in 2016.  Getting Sheffield, Frazier,  Bill McKinney, Gleyber Torres, and three nice relief prospects.  They also grabbed as many international prospects as they could before the rules changed.  6 of their current top 8 were international signs from 2012-2014.  

They recently graduated Sanchez, Severino and Judge and are in the middle of doing so with Torres and Andujar.   They've got a few other good young players as well.  

I can see why they're your favorite team. 

I’m actually not a Yankees fan but I’m a fan of what they’re trying to do. There have been numerous games this season that the Yankees have played that had no Yankees players on the field that were signed as free agents. Just smart trades and farm additions. Additionally, when was the last time you saw a Yankees team have a lower budget than the Angels? That in itself should open some eyes. 

Probably every player if they had there druthers would want to go to a constant winner. It helps there career & legacy. Imagine if Scottie Pippen had never played for the Chicago Bulls? No matter where Trout goes he will get paid. 

The biggest advantage the Angels have is loyalty and no team and fan base will ever love Mike Trout as much as the Angel fans...... & he knows that. Look at what happened to Griffey once he left Seattle the first time. Look at Pujols now. Odds are for this reason Trout will stay an Angel.

But if 2020 rolls around and even if we are competing I would much rather trade Trout and get a boatload of stud prospects than walk away with nothing (draft pick). I think Trout will 100% have a decision by than and have communicated it to the Angels...... for all we know the Angels may already know something? After all I would be surprised if they are not already trying to extend him.

1 hour ago, OHTANILAND said:

Imagine having that much depth. They have guys in their minor leagues that they don’t even have room for that could start for us right now and produce at a solid level. Crazy amount of talent. 

-- Center fielder prospect Estevan Florial, the Yankees' No. 1 prospect (according to MLB Pipeline).

-- Triple-A left fielder Clint Frazier OR center fielder Aaron Hicks.

-- Left-hander Justus Sheffield OR right-hander Albert Abreu, the Yankees' No. 1 and No. 2 ranked pitching prospects, respectively.

-- Right-hander Chance Adams, the Yankees' No. 3 pitching prospect.

-- Triple-A third baseman Brandon Drury.

-- Triple-A infielder/outfielder Tyler Wade OR Triple-A shortstop Thairo Estrada.

Nope. We already have a tremendous farm system, most of which are better than all of these guys you've listed.

They would have to give us Gleyber Torres and Aaron Judge, and I still wouldn't be satisfied. 

There a few things this writer is clearly unaware of.

1. Yankees prospects are extremely overrated simply because of who the parent club is.

2. If the Angels did trade Trout, any club would have more to offer than that package.

3. Trout values those who are close to him. The Yanks have no one like that with Trout. The Angels have Richards, Calhoun, Albert, Upton....

4. The Angels aren't cash strapped right now, so the Yanks taking on his contract holds no value in negotiations.

5. This is only speculation in my part, but I think part of the reason Trout loves Millville as much as he does is because he spends 6 months of the year elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Good lord.....   Imagine the possibilities for AO, with a guy named both Albert, AND Abreu...      You should delete this post before he reads it and the nickname generating part of his brain blows up.

Not to mention a guy named Justus...

Who actually is a really good prospect.

I don't want to be unreasonable though, so I would trade Trout to New York for the right package.  But it has to be the right package. 

1. I want his entire major league value recouped in the return at the present major league level. 

2. I want prospects that are going to ensure the future of my ball club. 

3. I want enough money included in the deal to not only offset all the costs of the players I'm getting in return, but enough to make several big splashes in free agency. 

4. I want extra added on because if I do this, I'm going down in history as the GM that traded Mike Trout.  That can absolutely ruin a reputation for life. 

- So if we assume Trout is going to likely be worth 12 wins above replacement this year (that's playing it conservative), and 12 next year and 12 the year after, the return would have to give me 12 wins at the major league level right now in spots that I have an opening.  Aaron Judge currently figures to be worth 8, but outside of Yankee Stadium and the artificially inflated numbers, I'm going to knock it down to 6.  Giancarlo Stanton averages 4 in his career, so that gets us up to 10.  Aroldis Chapman averages 1-2 per year, so that gets me to 12. 

Next, Prospects.  I consider Miguel Andujar and Gleyber Torres prospects, and I want the best, and they're the best the Yankees have to offer, so I'll take those too. 

Now then, we need enough money to offset salaries in return.  Chapman is making 17 million a ear for the next two, so there's 34 million.  Stanton is making 26 million, so there's another 52 million.  We'll assume 4 million will cover Andujar, Torres and Judge for the next couple year.  And then, I'd need enough to make at least three major big free agent splashes.  I'll say those coming in at 25 million a year apiece.  So there's another 100 million.  

Next, as an added bonus, I need an ace starting pitcher because Ohtani's down, Richards is certainly leaving for FA with his buddy Trout gone and Calhoun on the shelf or dealt, so I'll take Luis Severino.

So the final fair asking price of the Yankees in this deal is Aaron Judge, Giancarlo Stanton, Aroldis Chapman, Miguel Andujar, Gleyber Torres, Luis Severino and 190 million in return for Mike Trout.  

There you go Yankees.  There is not negotiating, that's the price.  

Oh god this shit again?  Why is every good player in baseball always somehow linked to the Yankees.. oh yeah, the media, lol  

One thing i do agree with though in this thread, he cannot be allowed to walk away and the Angels get nothing, period.   There is no situation where that can even be considered. 

The club has to make every effort possible to put a playoff team out there between now and next years trade deadline, and give him till then to extend or make his intentions known.  If he doesnt plan to stay or we cant meet his expectations then we have to do whats best for the future of the club as a whole, and trade him for the kings ransom of all trades. 

I dont want that, but we are still the Angels, not the Trouts so... we all need to come to grips with it as a possibility in the business of baseball. 

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

I'll preface this by saying that I think Trout will extend.  

I've brought this up before.  People need to realize that the odds of Trout getting traded if he's not willing to extend are slim to none.

In what scenario is the 2020 team going to be worse than the one we have now?    Any team with Trout is going to be competitive through the remainder of his deal.  Unless we sustain some collapse, we're going to keep getting better.  

This post has the potential to age very poorly. 

6no4Y48.jpg

I think the Yankees have a better shot just because they have more money than any other team other than maybe the Dodgers but thats debatable. The Angels will need to sign an extension this offseason or this season because you CAN NOT expect to sign him once he hits free agency. The ball is in our court now with out any other teams being able to offer him anything once he hits free agency we are just one of the teams offering him a contract. If he won't sign an extension this offseason with the Angels you have to trade him or have to start looking at offers for him at the very least. Getting a draft pick for the best player of this generation is just stupid. 

44 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Nope. We already have a tremendous farm system, most of which are better than all of these guys you've listed.

They would have to give us Gleyber Torres and Aaron Judge, and I still wouldn't be satisfied. 

See that’s where the Yankees have the advantage in any discussions about Trout. They don’t need Trout to win, the Angels do.