• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

"Why Yankees have a better shot at adding Mike Trout..."

Why Yankees have a better shot at adding Mike Trout than Bryce Harper

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2018/06/why_yankees_have_better_shot_adding_mike_trout_tha.html

This is just an article that caught my attention on google this morning.  I do like the idea of the Angels talking to Trout this off season and asking if they have any shot at extending him or if he has his heart set on playing closer to home.  If he wants to be on the east coast then lets trade him for the best package we can this off season and go after Machado and Harper.  I dont know anything about those yankee prospects but the idea of getting 4-6 of  some teams top 10 prospects is a nice concelation  prize to losing maybe the best player ever.  

Imagine having that much depth. They have guys in their minor leagues that they don’t even have room for that could start for us right now and produce at a solid level. Crazy amount of talent. 

-- Center fielder prospect Estevan Florial, the Yankees' No. 1 prospect (according to MLB Pipeline).

-- Triple-A left fielder Clint Frazier OR center fielder Aaron Hicks.

-- Left-hander Justus Sheffield OR right-hander Albert Abreu, the Yankees' No. 1 and No. 2 ranked pitching prospects, respectively.

-- Right-hander Chance Adams, the Yankees' No. 3 pitching prospect.

-- Triple-A third baseman Brandon Drury.

-- Triple-A infielder/outfielder Tyler Wade OR Triple-A shortstop Thairo Estrada.

Right now we've got Trout, Simmons, and a bunch of mediocrity, or worse. I'm exempting Ohtani because who knows when he'll be back, and in what capacity. 

If Trout doesn't want to stay and we have a chance to add four to six quality players who can actually produce, of course you have to do it. Losing him to free agency and getting nothing in return is unimaginable.

19 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Not a single one of those prospects excites me in a potential Trout deal, @OHTANILAND

Brandon Drury?!

I’m not talking about trading Trout. I’m saying that they have players that can perform at the major league level right now that they don’t have room for. Sick depth while we are rolling out Blash and Young. Trading Trout would be stupid at this point. 

Drury was slated to be their starting third baseman but they have a couple of superstar rookies who won’t let that happen. 

29 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

-- Left-hander Justus Sheffield OR right-hander Albert Abreu, the Yankees' No. 1 and No. 2 ranked pitching prospects, respectively.

Good lord.....   Imagine the possibilities for AO, with a guy named both Albert, AND Abreu...      You should delete this post before he reads it and the nickname generating part of his brain blows up.

33 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

Imagine having that much depth. They have guys in their minor leagues that they don’t even have room for that could start for us right now and produce at a solid level. Crazy amount of talent. 

-- Center fielder prospect Estevan Florial, the Yankees' No. 1 prospect (according to MLB Pipeline).

-- Triple-A left fielder Clint Frazier OR center fielder Aaron Hicks.

-- Right-hander Chance Adams, the Yankees' No. 3 pitching prospect.

-- Triple-A third baseman Brandon Drury.

-- Triple-A infielder/outfielder Tyler Wade OR Triple-A shortstop Thairo Estrada.

This is a concern when so many people talk about how good prospects are.  We have no idea if any of the Yankee prospects would be starters for us.  They are just prospects.  I have seen too many sure things flop over the years

Just now, stormngt said:

This is a concern when so many people talk about how good prospects are.  We have no idea if any of the Yankee prospects would be starters for us.  They are just prospects.  I have seen too many sure things flop over the years

That also describes our farm system as well. We may have a quite a few flops ourselves. 

I'll preface this by saying that I think Trout will extend.  After next off season and just before spring.  

I've brought this up before.  People need to realize that the odds of Trout getting traded if he's not willing to extend are slim to none.  

Will the Nats trade Harper at the deadline?  

Let's play this a different way.  What if this were Trout's final year of his contract?  Let's say that the deadline is here and we're within 4-5 games of the division lead or at least a playoff spot.  In what scenario is the 2020 team going to be worse than the one we have now?    Any team with Trout is going to be competitive through the remainder of his deal.  Unless we sustain some collapse, we're going to keep getting better.  

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

IF he survives the explosion in his head...  Giving AO that guy might rival Chuck's twitter rage as far as solid comedy goes.

AO has always been fun guy to follow. He doesn’t have a mean bone in his body. His baseball knowledge is unflappable. Love that guy. Funny and smart. 

1 minute ago, stormngt said:

Frazier would definitely start for the Angels right now --  Florial has been getting the bat knocked out of his hands in High A and Albert Abreu has struggled in High A every time he's gone there but Sheffield is legit and Chance Adams has struggled this year but has a pretty solid track record.   Some of those guys are overrated by virtue of being Yankees, but the Yanks system right now is very much like Stoneman's 2005 farm system..  It's not just the guys at the top that are impressive, it's the large number of guys behind them that makes the system special.   

This is the goal Eppler is working towards, hopefully.

Just now, stormngt said:

If the Yankees want Trout and then it starts with Sanchez, Torrye, and then throw in four of their top prospects. 

Gleyber Torres in the infield would suit me just fine. And Sanchez, a catcher who can actually hit? When's the last time we had that?

Add the four prospects, and what's there not to like?

Just now, OHTANILAND said:

That also describes our farm system as well. We may have a quite a few flops ourselves. 

During the 2000's our fa system was considered one of the best.  However DMAc got injured and flopped, Kotchman was not a double machine but a mediocre 1b.  Wood maybe the greatest flop in history.

I dont know a lot about other prospects from other organizations but I'd you want me to name other top prospects:

Where is Ackley these days? Would Profar be starting if not for injuries?  In fact I thought the Rangers farm was supposed to win the several world series? How about that Yankee catching prospect whose name started with an M? He was supposed to be a future all star.   How did Houghs career turn out.

I am sure the failures in our system is not anomoly but happens in every franchise.

4 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I'll preface this by saying that I think Trout will extend.  After next off season and just before spring.  

I've brought this up before.  People need to realize that the odds of Trout getting traded if he's not willing to extend are slim to none.  

Let's play this a different way.  What if this were Trout's final year of his contract?  Let's say that the deadline is here and we're within 4-5 games of the division lead or at least a playoff spot.  In what scenario is the 2020 team going to be worse than the one we have now?    Any team with Trout is going to be competitive through the remainder of his deal.  Unless we sustain some collapse, we're going to keep getting better.  

I will go on record and say that the Angels will never trade Trout and they will make every effort to extend him. Not sure if he and his agent will allow it. 

34 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

First I agree with you that Trout will sign an extension

Yes I would trade Trout if he isn't willing to sign an extension.  Do we have a better chance winning the WS with Trout and our current lineup? Or do we trade Trout and get a quality CF, RF, a 2b ahe a reliable closer.

I want Trout to be a lifetime Angel.  However if he isn't willing to sign an extension we risk losing him for nothing.  We need to consider the long term and short term future of the franchise.  And if one thing the Angel's should know by now we need more than on superstar to win a WS

12 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

They won’t do that, they would rather buy him outright. They have so many options it’s almost unfair. 

Maybe but that's why you offer him July of 2019.  They would have to wait a  year and a half, and they would have no guarantee he signs with them.  Trout is one player everyone will break the bank for.  So the Yanks would not outbid us or the Phillies.