• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Shin-Soo Choo?

Chuck

25 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

He is eligible to come off the 60 day DL on June 14.   Is he close to playing again?

I see it more of as a July deal. 

Really, I don't see the Angels looking at any sort of impact OF acquisition - not with Kole under contract for another season still not with the OF prospects we have.  They're better off patching it with AAA players this season, at most acquiring Jones or McCutchen, perhaps even at the August deadline as they'll be cheap due to their salaries and pending FAs. 

Now, if you offered a big prospect haul you Tampa for Archer or Kiermaier, the money saved on Tampa's end may allow them to consider taking Kole back in a deal, which is the only way I'd see anyone taking his contract at this point, and it would somewhat justify dealing something like Suarez, Marsh, one of Thaiss/Ward, and one of Fletcher/Jones or whatever it'd be..

• 2 weeks later...

Do you think the Rangers would take Calhoun for Choo straight up if we took on his contract?

He's been RED HOT for the Rangers. Could give us a BIG bump as we try to get through these next 26 tough games. 

Plus we don't give up a prospect (if anything throw in a low level, outside of the top 20 prospect). 

Choo is having a ridiculous month of June, with his .333/.463/.591 slash line in 66 at-bats bringing his OPS on the season up to .870.

For the season now, 284/.393/.479 with 13 HR. He also possesses a strong throwing arm in RF, much like Calhoun. 

Why would the Rangers do this? They shed a bunch more money than what is owed to Calhoun, saving some dollars plus getting decent RF for the next couple years. 

On 6/11/2018 at 3:16 PM, Chuckster70 said:

Would you? If Texas eats a good chunk of his salary, we still wouldn't need to deal a major or even tier II prospect for him. 

Choo is slashing .267/.375/.450 with 11 HR. Strong throwing arm in RF. 

Thoughts?

If it keeps Young or Hermasillo out of the lineup, I'd give it a thumbs up.

15 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Do you think the Rangers would take Calhoun for Choo straight up if we took on his contract?

He's been RED HOT for the Rangers. Could give us a BIG bump as we try to get through these next 26 tough games. 

Plus we don't give up a prospect (if anything throw in a low level, outside of the top 20 prospect). 

Choo is having a ridiculous month of June, with his .333/.463/.591 slash line in 66 at-bats bringing his OPS on the season up to .870.

For the season now, 284/.393/.479 with 13 HR. He also possesses a strong throwing arm in RF, much like Calhoun. 

Why would the Rangers do this? They shed a bunch more money than what is owed to Calhoun, saving some dollars plus getting decent RF for the next couple years. 

Calhoun for Choo? No.

Choo is 35, was basically league average each of the previous 2 years and is owed 42M the next two years.  Calhoun is signed through next year for 10.5M so in a Choo/Calhoun swap if no money is part of the deal the Angels are committing another 31.5M to payroll.  Choo is a great sell high candidate for Texas and I hope the Angels aren't buying.

12 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

Choo is 35, was basically league average each of the previous 2 years and is owed 42M the next two years.  Calhoun is signed through next year for 10.5M so in a Choo/Calhoun swap if no money is part of the deal the Angels are committing another 31.5M to payroll.  Choo is a great sell high candidate for Texas and I hope the Angels aren't buying.

On the flip side, it gives you the entire month of July to boost the offensive production and if it doesn't work out, you trade Choo at the deadline to another team looking for some offensive production for the stretch run, then just play the kids from the rest of the way out. 

Seems like a no brainer deal to me.

I think the Rangers would take Calhoun and a lesser prospect just to unload Choo's contract. 

I don't think Texas fits the mode of a team looking to cut payroll.  Get younger?  Yes, absolutely.  While they might trade Choo, it would be for prospects and not to dump salary, IMO.

Just now, True Grich said:

I don't think Texas fits the mode of a team looking to cut payroll.  Get younger?  Yes, absolutely.  While they might trade Choo, it would be for prospects and not to dump salary, IMO.

Send them Hermosillo and Calhoun. Go for it in the month of July, if you fail trade Choo or hold on to him for a little longer and deal him toward the end of August in a waiver deal. 

My point is, this team needs a boost offensively. Trout isn't 100%, Ohtani comes back who knows when, Upton is good but very streaky, Pujols is mostly meh..

It's looking like Adell should be ready by ST 2020, if not September 2019.    Choo still has two seasons remaining after this one on his contract.

As with any 35 year-old, and especially one coming from HR happy Arlington, it would be a gamble.   If he did slump in July here, would anyone take his contract?

Edit: Looks like his home/road splits since 2015 are much closer than I thought they would be, maybe 40-50 pts. apart.

Ex-Rangers have worked out well for the Angels so far...

GMJ, CJ Wilson, Hamilton, KInsler (although not directly from Texas)...  I'm not saying the outcome would be the same for Choo, but he's ripe for his offense falling off a cliff.  35 year old baseball players worry me.