• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Two internal moves that need to be made STAT

Chuck

What has Cowart done to be kept on the 40 man roster? He has had plenty of opportunities to show something and has failed every time. 

It has been no secret that this team lacks quality depth, I can’t remember the last time it did. Valbuena, Marte, and Young are all expendable immediately. I am not particularly excited by Blash. He has an extremely long swing and was unable to  catchup to high fastballs when he was. Hermosillo is fine as a fourth outfielder. Calhoun will get more chances because of his contract and Scoscia playing his favorites. I don’t think trading prospects to chase a one game playoof against the Yankees or Red Sox is prudent at this time. Wait until the offseason.

5 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

1. DFA Chris Young. He's complete garbage at both the plate and in the field. Promote Jabari Blash. Seriously, WTF. Dude has a minor league leading 18 HR and destroys southpaws. Hermosillo becomes our backup 4th OF and CF, sees some starts here and there. 

2. DFA or trade (for little or nothing) Luis Valbuena, promote either Matt Thaiss or Taylor Ward. Both get on base, both are showing good power. 

Lineup:

2B Kinsler

CF Trout

LF Upton

DH Pujols

1B  JMF or Thaiss (if promoted JMF plays 3B)

SS Cozart

3B JMF or Taylor Ward (if promoted JMF plays 1B)

RF Blash

C Maldonado

Valbuena and C. Young are not providing anything to the club and both were awful last season. What gives? Time for an internal change here. Time for an injection of youth and not just youth, those who are performing at a very high level in AA/AAA.

I completely agree with you on number 2, Valbuena days may be numbered with how JMF has played and the emergence of Ward and Thasis .

I think Blash isn't the solution in RF, he has really good power, but that's about it. i rather let Hermo get regular playing time and see what he can do, if he struggles get EYJ or Revere up to the show. We've seen what these guys can do and they bring extra speed in the bottom of the line-Up.  

Just now, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I completely agree with you on number 2, Valbuena days may be numbered with how JMF has played and the emergence of Ward and Thasis .

I think Blash isn't the solution in RF, he has really good power, but that's about it. i rather let Hermo get regular playing time and see what he can do, if he struggles get EYJ or Revere up to the show. We've seen what these guys can do and they bring extra speed in the bottom of the line-Up.  

2B Kinsler 

1B JMF

Cf Trout

LF Upton

Dh Pujols

3B Ward

SS Cozart

C Mald

Rf Hermo  

The thing with Herm is there is guys at Salt lake that hit .350 and than come up and hit like crap. For him to only hit .265 in Salt Lake does not inspire a lot of confidence. 

When Calhoun gets back I would assume he will get a month if he is no better than I would assume they will do a Kinsler or Upton type trade without gutting the farm.

I dont really see either one of them as that impactful.  
I mean sure lets find out what Blash can do but personally i see him as a sell high trade bait more than an answer.
I would seriously give JMF an OF glove and see how he looks since hes already there.  Hes likely to be the best hitter of the whole Blash/Hermosillo/Young option at the ML level.  Turn him into a super util and let him get at bats over all of those options 

2 minutes ago, floplag said:

I dont really see either one of them as that impactful.  
I mean sure lets find out what Blash can do but personally i see him as a sell high trade bait more than an answer.
I would seriously give JMF an OF glove and see how he looks since hes already there.  Hes likely to be the best hitter of the whole Blash/Hermosillo/Young option at the ML level.  Turn him into a super util and let him get at bats over all of those options 

Works for me. Who will play 1st? 

19 minutes ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

We need to trim the fat around here

No, we need to fix the holes, you dont trim the fat mid seasons especially when the bulk of them are non starters. 
Its a matter of priorities, we need production from RF first and foremost now that Kinsler has woken up. 
We need an anchor at the back end of the pen.  
We dont need to call up half of SLC.  

JMF has nine AB's in the major leagues.  The real test will be when the pitching adjusts to him, then can he adjust back?  Fletcher needs a full year at AAA in my opinion.  He's a good candidate to be here when the rosters expand.  There is no space for him right now on the big club.  Blash is not a good defensive right fielder, he's not as hot as earlier in the year when he hit a lot of his HR's early.  I would play JMF as much as possible to see if he can sustain the current rate of production.  He needs 100-150 AB's to get a good look at him.  Cowart is a terrific defender who plays five positions.  A lot of you guys undervalue defense, but in a close game a simple misplay can be the difference between winning and losing.  JMF can away a run Saturday night by passing up a double play and taking an out at first, thus allowing the Twins to close within a run.  Can Cowart hit up here?  Five AB's this year in the majors doesn't signify any trend.  Outside of pitching the only move that needs to be made internally is to replace Fontana with Cowart when his DL stint is up.  When Simmons comes back, send Cowart back down to Salt Lake for now, or drop Valbuena (not likely to happen).  In the outfield Calhoun will be back, and they will give him more opportunities.  At that point you could bring Blash up to replace Young, or Calhoun could replace Young.  Young does need to go, he is not helping much at the moment.

10 hours ago, stormngt said:

Well keep him when he is activated.  He would be a good defensive replacement.   Fletcher needs to play every day and I would like to see Fernadez get a real good look and share at bats

Agree on Fernandez.....would be a little tight to carry Fletcher and Cowart unless we move somebody else (Young would be fine with me).....And Calhoun will have to be dealt with at some point.....

Since the start of the Detroit series, Luis is hitting a very Valbuena-esque .235/.350/.471/.821, 4 XBH, 6 BB, 14 K in 40 PA. He's bought a little longer leash from me - when he gets his HR swing, he can go on a nice little run, and with Ohtani injured and Kole MIA, he's literally our only lefty power. He seems to be popular in the clubhouse too.

If he goes on another prolonged sub .600 OPS run for 50+ PAs though, I'm ready to move on.

As for Young? He's gotten a shot at more playing time, but hasn't done anything to claim it. DFA him, bring Blash up, and see if you catch lightning in a bottle by giving him as much playing time as possible before Kole returns, and save Hermosillo as a 4th OF/Blash defensive replacement. When Kole returns, it should be a little clearer on who goes to AAA.

I'm a Marte fan, but JMF and Fletcher are coming for ya brother. Cozart and Kinsler aren't going anywhere.

14 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

1. DFA Chris Young. He's complete garbage at both the plate and in the field. Promote Jabari Blash. Seriously, WTF. Dude has a minor league leading 18 HR and destroys southpaws. Hermosillo becomes our backup 4th OF and CF, sees some starts here and there. 

2. DFA or trade (for little or nothing) Luis Valbuena, promote either Matt Thaiss or Taylor Ward. Both get on base, both are showing good power. 

Valbuena and C. Young are not providing anything to the club and both were awful last season. What gives? Time for an internal change here. Time for an injection of youth and not just youth, those who are performing at a very high level in AA/AAA.

Cmon people, more people to need to like this post to show the angels we demand changes. This org is always slow to make adjustments when something isnt working and in the meantime we keep losing important games while they twiddle their thumbs.

18 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

Cmon people, more people to need to like this post to show the angels we demand changes. This org is always slow to make adjustments when something isnt working and in the meantime we keep losing important games while they twiddle their thumbs.

Are you really suggesting that AW can pressure the front office to make a change just by liking a post?