• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

av nerdism.

mrwicked

Stop tempting me you bastard.

2nd this.

I've been pretty good on AV purchases lately. (I got married)

Hitting Magnolia & Fry's, tomorrow to look at receivers. I'm armed with plenty of research/price match info.

I need to stay away from the TV's :)

Thanks to you guys for input on receivers. A lot of sales going this weekend. 

Have a good one guys, go halos.

haven't had a chance to check one out, but there's a magnolia in the city that should have it.

but ive read more reviews, everyone is still saying its the best TV they've ever seen

ill probably get one in a month or so, but not in a huge rush as im knee deep dealing with interior designers on the new place at the moment.

plus i still love my kuro elite, but i guess ill move that to my bedroom or a guest room or something

have you seen one in person?

I went to the Magnolia in Pasadena on Monday and totally forgot to look for it.  Don't think they had it though, I would have noticed.

Reviews I read said picture quality is identical to the VT60 in dark rooms, only difference comes in brighter rooms.

I haven't seen one for myself either... I just remembered you mentioning that you were going to try to see one over the weekend. But I feel you, stuff comes up.

So sick that they're going to have inky blacks in a lit room. It's unheard of for plasmas to perform that well in those conditions.

This is semi AV nerdism.  I am looking to upgrade my NAS and I am thinking of doing more of a HTPC like setup.  Currently my setup looks like this:

AVR with 4 HDMI

60 in Panny VT60 on the network secondary uPNP player

Dlink DNS323 NAS 3 TB storage running Twonky media server

PS3 on the network - primary uPNP player

My NAS is old and slow, also the PS3 doesn't support MKV files.  I would like something that is quicker and will play MKV files so I don't have to remux/reencode everything.

I was thinking of something like this to replace the NAS: http://www.amazon.com/HP-ProLiant-Server-System-704941-001/dp/tech-data/B00AM0I3O8/ref=de_a_smtd

Then maybe a cheap HTPC to stream the MKV's.  Roku and Apple TV don't support MKV.

Thinking maybe this: http://www.amazon.com/Arrival-KDLINKS-HD700-Extreme-Built-In/dp/B008CBQSKU/ref=pd_cp_pc_2

yep agreed.

for videophiles its plasma or bust. 

we'll see how the 4K OLEDs look but i havent been convinced yet.

rad. ok cool.

ive been out of the game for a long time - havent been plasma shopping since i bought the kuro.

if the VT gets thumbs up then the ZT definitely would.

i think it will be the last of the high end plasmas.

I've got the same Kuro as you Wicked (if I remember correctly from past discussions) and I love it still. The only problem I have is that it is giving off a little buzz sound while powered on now. It's probably the power supply just getting old. Nothing beats the picture though.

I'm interested in the ZT60 and the reviews look great! I'm going down to Magnolia this week to check them out. If they're as good as advertised, it might be time to finally make the switch. <sniff, sniff>

Edit: I'm guessing that Panasonic has used some of the old Kuro technology to reproduce the incredible blacks?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1295276/kuro-technology-explained#post_19588931

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

checked one out today. yep agreed they are sexy.

gonna pick up the big 65" when i borrow a friends car that will fit it.

the sony 4K looked decent too, although comically wide with those speakers and the settings were juiced to high heaven.

ill stick with the plasma.

• 6 months later...

finally took a break from dealing with designers/architects/contractors and ordered the 65" ZT.

pretty stoked. white glove delivery schedule for next week.

for audio im going pure sonos - because and f*ck wires and yay ipad/iphone controls (they also control lighting, HVAC, security and blackout shades at the crib).

will let ya'll know how it looks once its mounted and how sister act 2 looks on it.

• 2 weeks later...

finally took a break from dealing with designers/architects/contractors and ordered the 65" ZT.

pretty stoked. white glove delivery schedule for next week.

for audio im going pure sonos - because and f*ck wires and yay ipad/iphone controls (they also control lighting, HVAC, security and blackout shades at the crib).

will let ya'll know how it looks once its mounted and how sister act 2 looks on it.

Word on the street is that crumbs from blueberry scones can destroy digital remotes.

Be careful, man.

• 2 weeks later...

ZT delivered - it's comically insane. Just jaw-dropping gorgeous. Makes my Kuro look like a fat munchkin.

My buddy who helped me unbox it immediately went out to try and buy one.

They are hard to come by though - if you can find it prices are only going up apparently.

It's $4500 at amazon right now.

Getting it mounted and wired to A/V rack next week.