• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trade Target: OF Michael Conforto

He's a 25 years old, lefty swinging outfielder with some track record. Former top prospect, first round pick and has plenty of upside.

The Mets are heading for a rebuild and the newest reports indicate that Conforto will be demoted when Cespedes comes off the DL next week. 

Despite hitting only .219 this year, he's still getting on base at a .340 clip. Last year he hit 27 HR's and had a .384 OBP in only 440 PA. 

This is actually a pretty unique situation to acquire such a talent. These opportunities don't come around very often. The Mets OF is full for the foreseeable future and if they rebuild as expected, they'd ptobably wont be competing during   Conforto's contract.

Typically, a team would hold onto Conforto until he can reestablish a higher market value closer to his free agency, but if he's being squeeezed out of his spot, he can't increase his value.

Conforto won't be arbitration eligible until after next season and isn't eligible for free agency until 2022, meaning the if the Angels traded for him, they'd get him in his age 25-29 seasons. 

Conforto would bring an immediate all-star caliber presence to the middle or top of the order at a cheap price. RF would be covered for the next 3+ years.

This is the sort of controllable piece that I'd be willing to pay premium prospects for. Some combo of premium position player and pitching talent could pry him loose.

Brandon Marsh, Matt Thaiss, Chris Rodriguez and Joe Gatto could get this one done in my opinion. It's a good package for NY getting a starting RF, 1B, SP and SP/RP, and for the Angels, acquiring Conforto would block Marsh anyway, Thaiss is blocked at 1B, Rodriguez is behind the likes of Barria, Canning, Suarez, Soriano on the depth chart, and Gatto is a 2nd round pick in AA that can figure into the back of a rotation or bullpen.

Thoughts?

4 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

He's a 25 years old, lefty swinging outfielder with some track record. Former top prospect, first round pick and has plenty of upside.

The Mets are heading for a rebuild and the newest reports indicate that Conforto will be demoted when Cespedes comes off the DL next week. 

Despite hitting only .219 this year, he's still getting on base at a .340 clip. Last year he hit 27 HR's and had a .384 OBP in only 440 PA. 

This is actually a pretty unique situation to acquire such a talent. These opportunities don't come around very often. The Mets OF is full for the foreseeable future and if they rebuild as expected, they'd ptobably wont be competing during   Conforto's contract.

Typically, a team would hold onto Conforto until he can reestablish a higher market value closer to his free agency, but if he's being squeeezed out of his spot, he can't increase his value.

Conforto won't be arbitration eligible until after next season and isn't eligible for free agency until 2022, meaning the if the Angels traded for him, they'd get him in his age 25-29 seasons. 

Conforto would bring an immediate all-star caliber presence to the middle or top of the order at a cheap price. RF would be covered for the next 3+ years.

This is the sort of controllable piece that I'd be willing to pay premium prospects for. Some combo of premium position player and pitching talent could pry him loose.

Brandon Marsh, Matt Thaiss, Chris Rodriguez and Joe Gatto could get this one done in my opinion. It's a good package for NY getting a starting RF, 1B, SP and SP/RP, and for the Angels, acquiring Conforto would block Marsh anyway, Thaiss is blocked at 1B, Rodriguez is behind the likes of Barria, Canning, Suarez, Soriano on the depth chart, and Gatto is a 2nd round pick in AA that can figure into the back of a rotation or bullpen.

Thoughts?

My thoughts would be to save those prospects for a more proven guy, one that isn’t about to be demoted.  Someone else mentioned Soler, I’d rather get him for that package.  If that is the cost to get a 25 year old outfielder, then go get a 35 year old outfielder for virtually nothing, keep the prospects, and get a one or two year guy in free agency.  If we are making a playoff hunt and you are looking to upgrade the team, you don’t do it by acquiring a .219 hitting outfielder.  

1 minute ago, The Boogie Man said:

My thoughts would be to save those prospects for a more proven guy, one that isn’t about to be demoted.  Someone else mentioned Soler, I’d rather get him for that package.  If that is the cost to get a 25 year old outfielder, then go get a 35 year old outfielder for virtually nothing, keep the prospects, and get a one or two year guy in free agency.  If we are making a playoff hunt and you are looking to upgrade the team, you don’t do it by acquiring a .219 hitting outfielder.  

I would do Marsh for Soler, maybe... but expand it a wee bit for Herrera and Ian Kennedy as well. 

If Ohtani comes back, let him take the rest of the season off pitching so he can be our full time DH. 

10 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

Well if the Mets are rebuilding and want out of some money, I’d gladly trade Valbuena and Kole for Cespedes and Familia.  Then we could use Marsh to get us Brad Hand and call it a day.  

I like the way you think. 

Sold.

Are people really up for trading one of our top prospects for Soler?  Guy had a hot start but has been terrible over the last 100 at bats.  He was a hot mess last year and the definition of mediocre the two years before that.  hard pass on that guy.  

to be honest, I'm not overly psyched about most of the trade options available.  Certainly don't want some rental when our best shot at the post season in playing one more game.  

21 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Are people really up for trading one of our top prospects for Soler?  Guy had a hot start but has been terrible over the last 100 at bats.  He was a hot mess last year and the definition of mediocre the two years before that.  hard pass on that guy.  

to be honest, I'm not overly psyched about most of the trade options available.  Certainly don't want some rental when our best shot at the post season in playing one more game.  

Exactly, I’m down to add a vet that won’t cost much on the trade market. Maybe somebody like Dietrich? 

Conforto has been awful this season, I’m surprised Scotty is willing to give up that haul of prospects for a player with major question marks. 

8 minutes ago, TroutField said:

Exactly, I’m down to add a vet that won’t cost much on the trade market. Maybe somebody like Dietrich? 

Conforto has been awful this season, I’m surprised Scotty is willing to give up that haul of prospects for a player with major question marks. 

Despite his poor BA his OBS is 340.  

Can compared to our RF he is a damn all star.

10 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Despite his poor BA his OBS is 340.  

Can compared to our RF he is a damn all star.

Trading 4 prospects for an OF that the cellar dwelling Mets are about to demote and pinch hit for in the 9th yesterday would be I’ll advised, in my opinion. 

Especially when the farm is finally solid again. 

The mans about to be demoted.... by the Mets... if you pay more than a low level  prospect you are over paying.  Im not opposed to taking a look but man, this has to be a buy low situation.  He has put up worse numbers than Calhoun in the last month hitting 080 in June. 

I think it's hilarious people here think Conforto is a question mark AND value Jorge Soler over him. 

Watch him play and tell me he isn't a star. Beautiful left handed swing, power, patience, only 25, controllable for years at a cheap rate.

Think of it like this....most of you believe I'm a major prospect homer. If I'm willing to go part ways with a collection of our best prospects for this kid, that should have elk you something.

Either I suddenly have given up and hate prospects or this Conforto kid is just that good.

I'll give you a hint. It's the second one.

Why on earth would we trade one of our top prospects for a guy struggling like Conforto ?  Jesus.  He’s a nice talent but the Angels don’t need any more projects.  We are trying to win now aren’t we ?  

I would be extremely hesitant to trade Marsh for Hand even.  Look at what teams have traded for guys recently.  The Cardinals traded a pitcher barely in their top 10 for Marcel Ozuna.  We should be able to get decent players without tapping our top 5.  If we can’t, well fuc*k it.  This isn’t the year to push the big chips in. 

I would trade Jones and Ward for Hand.  If that’s not enough look elsewhere.  And I love Brad Hand.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

1 minute ago, Scotty@AW said:

I think it's hilarious people here think Conforto is a question mark AND value Jorge Soler over him. 

Watch him play and tell me he isn't a star. Beautiful left handed swing, power, patience, only 25, controllable for years at a cheap rate.

Think of it like this....most of you believe I'm a major prospect homer. If I'm willing to go part ways with a collection of our best prospects for this kid, that should have elk you something.

Either I suddenly have given up and hate prospects or this Conforto kid is just that good.

I'll give you a hint. It's the second one.

Or we could do my plan, which is trade for a veteran who’s performing this year, keep our better prospects.   

4 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

Or we could do my plan, which is trade for a veteran who’s performing this year, keep our better prospects.   

Which inevitably puts us in the same situation next season, nothing in RF, and a largely unimproved team.

This strengthens the lineup, gives the Angels the left handed bat they need, makes them younger, doesn't deplete the farm, and gives the Angels financial flexibility.

1 hour ago, The Boogie Man said:

Well if the Mets are rebuilding and want out of some money, I’d gladly trade Valbuena and Kole for Cespedes and Familia.  Then we could use Marsh to get us Brad Hand and call it a day.  

Both Cespedes and Familia are on the DL. 

They'd fit right in. 

2 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Which inevitably puts us in the same situation next season, nothing in RF, and a largely unimproved team.

This strengthens the lineup, gives the Angels the left handed bat they need, makes them younger, doesn't deplete the farm, and gives the Angels financial flexibility.

It only strengthens the team if he gets back on track.  He’s hitting .219.  As for depleting the farm, it’s our 2nd best outfield prospect, currently our best third base prospect, a pitcher with upside and a future bullpen arm.   Scotty you yourself have been saying Marsh or Hermosillo will push Kole out by mid 2019.   So as for being in the same place next year, nah, we’re one year closer to our best prospects graduating. 

It really feels like the Mets have mishandled Conforto from pretty much day one (there was a big media circus in New York when he first arrived as I recall).

Does he potentially have talent? Sure yes I would agree and that talent may have been disrupted by the front office and coaching staff.

However my concern is that the Mets are demoting him and the reasoning behind that demotion. To be fair they are a Major League ballclub that has millions potentially on the line with these decisions they make and they can't have made this one simply on a whim. It is disconcerting on many levels that they haven't committed to him like a large majority of fans and baseball writers and bloggers have clamored for.

My main concern with Conforto is that he is LF limited for the most part. His defensive range will eventually carry him out of LF to 1B and/or DH. Despite his potential with the bat do we really need a LF (answer is no) and/or a long-term 1B/DH (again based on our current configuration the answer is no imo).

I do agree with some of the other people here insofar as his trade value is low which really begs the question why would the Mets trade him at this particular point in time? It would be in their best interest to bring him back later this year or next year and rebuild his stock. Selling low on someone with Michael's potential is probably something the Mets will want to avoid unless they feel he is a real change of scenery type and even then they don't want to execute a Soler-Davis type of trade since they aren't making a playoff push.

3 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Trading Marsh would be depleting the farm.  

I would consider Jones at most.