• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Albert Pujols is still terrible

Albert Pujols is number 5 and has not performed any better after losing weight and playing 1B.  Albert is having trouble maintaining his ability to play 1B and would therefore need to become a permanent DH.  Shohei Ohtani is number 17 and can out perform Pujols with less at bats but needs to be the DH to play.  Mike Scioscia is number 14 and "arranges" a trip to the DL for Ohtani thereby eliminating potential conflict at the DH position.  14-5=9,  (5+17/2) =11........9/11

Wake up sheeple !!!!!

Tdawg....did I do this correctly?

3 minutes ago, eligrba said:

Albert Pujols is number 5 and has not performed any better after losing weight and playing 1B.  Albert is having trouble maintaining his ability to play 1B and would therefore need to become a permanent DH.  Shohei Ohtani is number 17 and can out perform Pujols with less at bats but needs to be the DH to play.  Mike Scioscia is number 14 and "arranges" a trip to the DL for Ohtani thereby eliminating potential conflict at the DH position.  14-5=9,  (5+17/2) =11........9/11

Wake up sheeple !!!!!

Tdawg....did I do this correctly?

great job

3 hours ago, The Boogie Man said:

Ok, my guess is exactly what the paragraph you quoted says.  If you put your best hitter second or third, and you choose to put your best second, wouldn’t it only make sense to put your next best hitter hitting third?  

The most impactful spots in the lineup are 2, 4, 5, 1. Think about it in terms of RUNS and RBIs. Batting at the front of an inning you have a better chance to score, while batting with runners on leads to more RBI chances. You also gain ~20 PAs per year every spot you move up in the lineup.

#2 is the premiere spot because it is a hybrid - it always comes up with a chance at a runner on base, and never more than one out. #4 is the second most impactful because it either leads off an inning or comes up with men on base. The #5 spot is the #2 spot of the second inning, or the leadoff spot, or a big at bat in the first. The number 1 spot leads off at least one inning and gets ~100 PAs per year than the #6 spot.

The problem with the #3 spot is that it comes up with 2 outs and no one on base more than any other spot. This is the situation with the lowest run expectancy and the least amount of leverage.

17 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

The most impactful spots in the lineup are 2, 4, 5, 1. Think about it in terms of RUNS and RBIs. Batting at the front of an inning you have a better chance to score, while batting with runners on leads to more RBI chances. You also gain ~20 PAs per year every spot you move up in the lineup.

#2 is the premiere spot because it is a hybrid - it always comes up with a chance at a runner on base, and never more than one out. #4 is the second most impactful because it either leads off an inning or comes up with men on base. The #5 spot is the #2 spot of the second inning, or the leadoff spot, or a big at bat in the first. The number 1 spot leads off at least one inning and gets ~100 PAs per year than the #6 spot.

The problem with the #3 spot is that it comes up with 2 outs and no one on base more than any other spot. This is the situation with the lowest run expectancy and the least amount of leverage.

I do understand this, but when you have a guy that gets on base 44% of the time it lessens it a bit.  I didn’t mind when Trout batted 3rd when both Escobar and Kole were getting on base at a .350 clip.  If you have a website that shows you this stuff if you could link it that would be awesome.  I love reading this stuff.

2 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

I do understand this, but when you have a guy that gets on base 44% of the time it lessens it a bit.  I didn’t mind when Trout batted 3rd when both Escobar and Kole were getting on base at a .350 clip.  If you have a website that shows you this stuff if you could link it that would be awesome.  I love reading this stuff.

These are averages, so you have to consider the actual lineup first. I totally agree with Trout batting third when you have two guys in front of him who minimize the downside effect of him hitting later in the inning. This current team really lacks that to the point that you might even be able to maximize the lines by batting Trout 1st. I've also advocated for batting Pujols third for all those same reasons. He is a big anchor batting 4th - I haven't looked it up but I'd wager he's lead off more innings than anyone not named Kinsler.

Let me see if I can find a good link for you...

2 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

These are averages, so you have to consider the actual lineup first. I totally agree with Trout batting third when you have two guys in front of him who minimize the downside effect of him hitting later in the inning. This current team really lacks that to the point that you might even be able to maximize the lines by batting Trout 1st. I've also advocated for batting Pujols third for all those same reasons. He is a big anchor batting 4th - I haven't looked it up but I'd wager he's lead off more innings than anyone not named Kinsler.

Let me see if I can find a good link for you...

I would probably keep the top 3 like it is.  I also wouldn’t remove Albert from 4 until we acquire someone who is an upgrade.  I wouldn’t really bat Simmons 4th, I’d use him more to extend the line up, maybe bat him 5th or 6th.  There are thoughts I have about the line up.  I wouldn’t mind Kole (when he is good Kole) batting third because it opens up the right side when Trout is on first, since the first baseman is covering first.  With how Kinsler is hitting now, I like him leading off.  If we were to get a guy like Moustakas, he is someone I would bat 4th over Albert.  

1 hour ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Only for the first inning.

6 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Yes, because one game all of a sudden changes everything.

Albert will have a good game every once in awhile.

That’ll happen when you play pretty much every day. And he’s shown the player he is in these last 220 or so games he’s played in. Pure garbage. 

Nice homerun today though.

blind squirrel. Nut.

9 hours ago, Blarg said:

Yeah, that may just be what he ends his career doing. 

At some point he will be physically incapable of playing first base, and we have committed to giving Ohtani ABs at DH when he isn't pitching. That would leave Pujols with nothing but a bench role.

15 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

That’ll happen when you play pretty much every day. And he’s shown the player he is in these last 220 or so games he’s played in. Pure garbage. 

Nice homerun today though.

blind squirrel. Nut.

33 RBIs....sounds like 33 nuts