• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Albert Pujols is still terrible

So he got healthy and lost weight.  It really hasn't helped.  He's held up a little of his value by playing the field so it's not quite as bad as last year but pretty close. 

He has a 4.5% bb rate and a 15.2% k rate both the worst of his career.  

He'll hit the ball hard once in awhile, but he just isn't capable of any sustained success due to his discipline completely evaporating.  

I guess he's still able to step up his game with RISP which helps a little.  But he just looks tired.  Maybe with Ohtani going out he'll get more rest by DHing

This post isn't as much about not wanting him in our lineup but about how sad it has become to see one of the games greatest hitters become what he has.  

Just now, failos said:

You'd think he'd be willing to swallow his pride and move down the lineup. I can't wait until he's gone.

This is one of those things that made sense before the injuries, now with the injuries he is probably our fourth best hitter.  

Just now, The Boogie Man said:

This is one of those things that made sense before the injuries, now with the injuries he is probably our fourth best hitter.  

It doesn't make one lick of sense. Cleanup belongs to Upton. Period.

Putting Pujols there is most certainly due to some clause in his contract and I find that very selfish for someone who's supposedly only interested in winning.

Just now, failos said:

It doesn't make one lick of sense. Cleanup belongs to Upton. Period.

Putting Pujols there is most certainly due to some clause in his contract and I find that very selfish for someone who's supposedly only interested in winning.

It has nothing to do with a mythical clause in his contract,  As for batting Upton 4th, the team wants Trout batting 2nd, because it gives him 20 more at bats over the course of a season.  

4 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

It has nothing to do with a mythical clause in his contract,  As for batting Upton 4th, the team wants Trout batting 2nd, because it gives him 20 more at bats over the course of a season.  

Why not bat him lead off then with that logic ?

Just now, nando714 said:

Why not bat him lead off then with that logic ?

I am not the one who puts this math out there nor am I smart enough to figure it all out.  It has to do with the number of times that player comes to bat with the game on the line over the course of a season, coupled with the extra at bats.  Here is a quote from an article I read:

So do the calculations mean anything? According to the numbers, your best hitter should bat 2 or 3, that is, if you want him coming up more often with the game on the line. In “The Batting Order Evolution,” Sam Miller noted that “the anecdotal evidence is strong” to put your best hitter in the number 2 spot. The worst spot for heroics is number 7.

Just now, The Boogie Man said:

The clause may very well be mythical, because putting Pujols at cleanup requires some mythical reasoning. 

3 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

I am not the one who puts this math out there nor am I smart enough to figure it all out.  It has to do with the number of times that player comes to bat with the game on the line over the course of a season, coupled with the extra at bats.  Here is a quote from an article I read:

So do the calculations mean anything? According to the numbers, your best hitter should bat 2 or 3, that is, if you want him coming up more often with the game on the line. In “The Batting Order Evolution,” Sam Miller noted that “the anecdotal evidence is strong” to put your best hitter in the number 2 spot. The worst spot for heroics is number 7.

Trout at 2 is where he belongs, but I don't understand how that should prevent Upton from batting cleanup? Clearly Sosh is willing to change the lineup using every possible permutation--except for the one that involves Pujols batting in a spot that isn't #4.

Just now, failos said:

Trout at 2 is where he belongs, but I don't understand how that should prevent Upton from batting cleanup? Clearly Sosh is willing to change the lineup using every possible permutation--except for the one that involves Pujols batting in a spot that isn't #4.

Ok, my guess is exactly what the paragraph you quoted says.  If you put your best hitter second or third, and you choose to put your best second, wouldn’t it only make sense to put your next best hitter hitting third?  

23 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

So he got healthy and lost weight.  It really hasn't helped.  He's held up a little of his value by playing the field so it's not quite as bad as last year but pretty close. 

He has a 4.5% bb rate and a 15.2% k rate both the worst of his career.  

He'll hit the ball hard once in awhile, but he just isn't capable of any sustained success due to his discipline completely evaporating.  

I guess he's still able to step up his game with RISP which helps a little.  But he just looks tired.  Maybe with Ohtani going out he'll get more rest by DHing

This post isn't as much about not wanting him in our lineup but about how sad it has become to see one of the games greatest hitters become what he has.  

It seems like his approach is different with RISP.  He seems to be happy just getting the hut; however he seems to trying to hit HRs when no one is on.  

I agreed, offensively he is only slightly better and he doesnt walk much anymore.

21 minutes ago, failos said:

You'd think he'd be willing to swallow his pride and move down the lineup. I can't wait until he's gone, him and his .284 OBP. 

Can you guys get off that! He is in the 4th spot because that's where the team wants him.  Right now there is none better and only Simmons and Ohtani would be better and remember Ohtani has been hitting about 200 recently.  

I hope he has enough pride to realize he is ruining his legacy to keep playing this poorly and retire.

6 minutes ago, failos said:

I thought Scioscia wouldnt move Pujols out of the three spot? 

7 minutes ago, failos said:

Who bats 3rd if Upton is 4th?

We all knew this contract was for far too many years, and that it would be impossible for him to play up to his salary.  This is what happens when you pay players for what they have done instead of what they're likely to do. Nothing against Albert, I would have taken the contract as well.  This is on the Angels and specifically Arte Moreno for signing him to this ludicrous deal.   I didn't like the deal from the first minute.  10 years!!!!!  He is doing exactly what his 40 something year old body is allowing.  Would we expect any different? Shame on Arte for signing off on this obvious mistake of a contract.

16 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

Ok, my guess is exactly what the paragraph you quoted says.  If you put your best hitter second or third, and you choose to put your best second, wouldn’t it only make sense to put your next best hitter hitting third?  

What good is having your best hitters get on base then get GDIPujols'd ?