• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trade top talent to win now? Or maybe trade top talent for prospects?

10 minutes ago, Torridd said:

This makes sense, Dave. However, what do you think Eppler does when the team is screaming for  Herrera? How is that handled?

It all depends on the cost. KC fully intends and expects a bidding war for Herrera. Hell, I'd love to trade for Herrera and Moustakis, as both are available. But, it all depends on the cost. KC knows that there will be plenty of interest at the trade deadline and wants the market to develop. They are also willing to trade early if they are blown away. I'm not trading Adell or Marsh for rentals because I think both have a legitimate shot of making it and being impact players, both of whom would be relatively affordable for several years, making other more expensive players, like Trout, affordable as well. 

However, if the Rockies offered Arenado (not that they would) for either Adell or Marsh, I'd do it. It's all about the return on the trade.

25 minutes ago, stanick88 said:

I think this is a fair look at things, as I mostly agree with this. But I think we do need to try and make a move to win now. 

I dont think there is any move we can make to improve our team to a point where it would justify giving up our top prospects.  A trade for a rental like Machado or Harper would be like trading for Grienke in 2012.  It would only be a smart move or it gets us to the playoffs or we get an extension.

If I was the GM I would have beaten the Dbacks to get Jay.  And then look for a closer on the level of 2014 Huston Street and for similar price.   Moustakas would be a good move but I dont think they are giving up on Kinsler 

16 minutes ago, stanick88 said:

You are right about MLB regulars not being sure things either. But they are more sure things than unproven prospects. With An MLB regular you more or less know how they preform in the big leagues. And by the time almost all of our prospects are ready, almost all of: Skaggs, Trop, Heaney, Barria, Ohtani, Upton, Simmons and Trout will either be close to or over thirty and/or not under contract or team control (with exception of Barria and Ohtani and Maybe Upton who will be vastly over thirty). So our window may or may not be closing. But we do not know for sure. Best bet is to go for it while we have the best player now and good stars around him. We just need another impact player or two. We can still get impact players and still keep a solid system. We do not have to deplete our system. We have so many high upside prospects why not use a few of them now to aquire talent while we have sure thing stars at this moment. 

We need a closer, full the void in RF (could be an in house solution) and get production from our bench Young, Marte and Valbueno are not good enough (also maybe in house).  

1 hour ago, stanick88 said:

It makes no sense In hoarding and holding on to these prospects. Yeah some may be our future. But that is a crap shoot at best. It’s not like we are the Astros who had numerous top 5 picks to get where they were. We are talking about prospects that have a lot lower ceiling (except may be our few top 3-4 prospects at most) A lot of these prospects have more value in what they can bring in as apposed to being role players In The future. A lot will never even pan out, much less even make it to the big leagues. So why hang on to all of them with the risk that we never put a competitive team on the field. Let’s do it now while we have one of the best players of all time. 

Why hang onto them? Well what if we hanged onto Corbin, Segura, and Clevinger? We traded all of them in attempt to win now. How many world series did we win? How many playoff games did we win? Yep none.

None of those guys were top 5 picks but they developed into very good players. Had we held onto them, we would be challenging Houston for the AL West instead of barely trying to make the 2nd wild card.

Get the point? It hurts you in the long run, and for what - to sneak into the 2nd wildcard? It's not like the angels are 1 or 2 players away, they are more like 4 or 5 players away. Angels need to upgrade RF, 3b, C, and acquire at least 2 relievers to be serious about making the playoffs.

15 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

Why hang onto them? Well what if we hanged onto Corbin, Segura, and Clevinger? We traded all of them in attempt to win now. How many world series did we win? How many playoff games did we win? Yep none.

None of those guys were top 5 picks but they developed into very good players. Had we held onto them, we would be challenging Houston for the AL West instead of barely trying to make the 2nd wild card.

Get the point? It hurts you in the long run, and for what - to sneak into the 2nd wildcard? It's not like the angels are 1 or 2 players away, they are more like 4 or 5 players away. Angels need to upgrade RF, 3b, C, and acquire at least 2 relievers to be serious about making the playoffs.

These were all players who did not start to prodcude until they were traded. Some player play better on different teams and  in Different systems. That’s why we were able to get more potential out of players like aLex meyers, yet other players like Cozart, Hamilton, and other veterans vastly under  perform when here. It’s not as easy as if we would have had them, they would have performed at the same level. And NO we wouldn’t be competing with those players. Would you take Clevinger over anyone of our starters right now? I wouldn’t. Would you take Segura over Simmons? I wouldn’t. I know we would have more prospect now. But sometimes you have to take risks. Look at what the Astros did with Verlander. His career was looking like it was close to done. And now he’s pitching as one of the best in the whole game. 

Do you “get the point?”

2 minutes ago, Dave Saltzer said:

So, let's put this hypothetical out there: Suarez, Thaiss, and Ward for Herrera and Moustakis. Would you pull the trigger on that and do you think that is enough?

Id do that as long as we could extend them both.

Just now, Cdaniel said:

Id do that as long as we could extend them both.

That's the thing, you aren't going to get that negotiating deal. Now I think if we trade for Moustakis, we could probably extend him, as I think he learned a good lesson about the size and value of his market. And, we could then slide Cozart down the road to 2B. But, I'm fairly certain Herrera would test the market. KC has no reason to keep Moustakis because they won't get him again and won't get anything for him. But, they aren't going to give him away. Herrera is the prime piece here for them, and getting 6 years of a 20-year lefty leading all the minors in Ks is nothing to slouch at. KC is in a rebuilding mode and is looking for a 3-5 year timeframe, so they only want prospects. 

Just now, Dave Saltzer said:

That's the thing, you aren't going to get that negotiating deal. Now I think if we trade for Moustakis, we could probably extend him, as I think he learned a good lesson about the size and value of his market. And, we could then slide Cozart down the road to 2B. But, I'm fairly certain Herrera would test the market. KC has no reason to keep Moustakis because they won't get him again and won't get anything for him. But, they aren't going to give him away. Herrera is the prime piece here for them, and getting 6 years of a 20-year lefty leading all the minors in Ks is nothing to slouch at. KC is in a rebuilding mode and is looking for a 3-5 year timeframe, so they only want prospects. 

Herrera would need to be open to negotiations I think before I would pull the trigger, are teams allowed to discuss this with potential trade candidates before agreeing to a deal?  The Ohtani news may change things for me as well.

Just now, Cdaniel said:

Herrera would need to be open to negotiations I think before I would pull the trigger, are teams allowed to discuss this with potential trade candidates before agreeing to a deal?  The Ohtani news may change things for me as well.

I was just going to point out the Ohtani news. Do you really want to trade Suarez to fix one problem, only to leave yourself a potential hole in a different area?

2 minutes ago, Dave Saltzer said:

I was just going to point out the Ohtani news. Do you really want to trade Suarez to fix one problem, only to leave yourself a potential hole in a different area?

Not anymore.  I also leave it to you, Scotty, Doc, AngelsJunky, Tots and IP to let us know who we should and shouldn't trade.  You guys are awesome and Im sure Im leaving someone out and for that I apologize.

I would still be open to a trade that improves the team longterm but if Ohtani is out for any extended period of time Im calling this season a wash and hoping for the best.

1 minute ago, Cdaniel said:

Not anymore.  I also leave it to you, Scotty, Doc, AngelsJunky, Tots and IP to let us know who we should and shouldn't trade.  You guys are awesome and Im sure Im leaving someone out and for that I apologize.

I would still be open to a trade that improves the team longterm but if Ohtani is out for any extended period of time Im calling this season a wash and hoping for the best.

Thanks. Ironically, I think this injury actually makes a trade for Moustakis a bit more likely as our lineup becomes ridiculously right-handed and it allows us to put Pujols at DH full-time. I would consider Ward and Hermosillo for Moustakis right now.

Just now, Dave Saltzer said:

Thanks. Ironically, I think this injury actually makes a trade for Moustakis a bit more likely as our lineup becomes ridiculously right-handed and it allows us to put Pujols at DH full-time. I would consider Ward and Hermosillo for Moustakis right now.

That seems like a lot to give for Mouse.  I would think Ward would be enough.

1 minute ago, Dave Saltzer said:

A silver lining on this cursed day.

1 hour ago, stanick88 said:

You are right about MLB regulars not being sure things either. But they are more sure things than unproven prospects. With An MLB regular you more or less know how they preform in the big leagues. And by the time almost all of our prospects are ready, almost all of: Skaggs, Trop, Heaney, Barria, Ohtani, Upton, Simmons and Trout will either be close to or over thirty and/or not under contract or team control (with exception of Barria and Ohtani and Maybe Upton who will be vastly over thirty). So our window may or may not be closing. But we do not know for sure. Best bet is to go for it while we have the best player now and good stars around him. We just need another impact player or two. We can still get impact players and still keep a solid system. We do not have to deplete our system. We have so many high upside prospects why not use a few of them now to aquire talent while we have sure thing stars at this moment. 

HELL NO NOW! 

1 minute ago, Cdaniel said:

That seems like a lot to give for Mouse.  I would think Ward would be enough.

I'd like to get him today (not wait for the deadline where I might need to compete), and, there are still mixed reviews on Ward at 3B (although I am very pleased with how well he's turned the corner). I think that offer gets a good conversation going. 

This thread is 4 years too late.  The Angels should have started going all in right after Trout's rookie year.

If history is any indicator though, the Angels will get some kind of player that looks good enough to make sure fans keep coming to the ballpark and to make the final stretch of the season somewhat exciting.  The result will be the Angels not making the playoffs but an at least they tried mantra will be accepted and another year of Trout will be wasted.