• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Barria

Just throwing this out there and maybe it’s a crazy idea but why shuttle Barria back and forth between the minors and the MLB?  If the plan is to have him pitch 2 innings in the minors to control his innings on his start days why not just let him do it at the MLB level out of the pen?  

3 minutes ago, Cdaniel said:

Just throwing this out there and maybe it’s a crazy idea but why shuttle Barria back and forth between the minors and the MLB?  If the plan is to have him pitch 2 innings in the minors to control his innings on his start days why not just let him do it at the MLB level out of the pen?  

Well, when they send them down they typically recall a RP that they can burn through for a bit..  Also, they can better regulate when and how he throws as opposed to the situation dictating if he gets to pitch.

5 minutes ago, Cdaniel said:

Because they needed his roster spot. 

4 minutes ago, Cdaniel said:

Because you can control when he pitches the innings in the minors. 

He has little value as a reliever in the majors if you know ahead of time he has to throw X pitches on X day. 

1 hour ago, stormngt said:

Want your guys feedback if this scenario I'd feasible.  Since every starter throws a bullpen session between starts, why cant we have one starter available for a relief role on days they would normally throw in the bullpen? Is that feasable?

Another thing is that you don't know how the game is going to unfold. That pitcher may or may not be needed, and there is little control over how many pitches are thrown.

1 hour ago, stormngt said:

Want your guys feedback if this scenario I'd feasible.  Since every starter throws a bullpen session between starts, why cant we have one starter available for a relief role on days they would normally throw in the bullpen? Is that feasable?

I'm not sure about the others but Ohtani has said he doesn't throw full out during his bullpens, or even during warmups between innings.

7 hours ago, stormngt said:

That's what I was trying to ask and you phrased it better than I could.  I guess it comes down to giving a roster spot to a BP/SP that can only be used at certain times and limits the flexibility I guess.

I feel like in the long run teams will start to use their starters on their side days fairly regularly. Teams have done this before in situations where the game goes deep into extra innings. It makes sense because of the rapid rise in use of bullpens and the limitation of roster spots, not to mention teams like the Angels adding additional days between starts while shuttling pitchers back to the minors for rest.

9 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

I'm not sure about the others but Ohtani has said he doesn't throw full out during his bullpens, or even during warmups between innings.

Or Spring Training...