• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Barria Pulled Early in Start Today?

1 minute ago, Lou said:

not everyone went crazy made about the Simmons trade .

also, Hell No to trading Barria 

Have you not read back through the old posts on this forum. A good majority were more than mad at the trade. It took people listening to the media about how this was an even trade for people to start coming around to it, and it was not until we started to watch him play that people on this forum began to really appreciate simmons and the trade. 

2 minutes ago, stanick88 said:

Have you not read back through the old posts on this forum. A good majority were more than mad at the trade. It took people listening to the media about how this was an even trade for people to start coming around to it, and it was not until we started to watch him play that people on this forum began to really appreciate simmons and the trade. 

a "good majority" is much different than "everyone".

there are some here that loved the trade 

Why in the Facking world would we trade Barria? For Hand? God no. Just so we could lose later in the season anyway?

I am not about giving away valuable prospects this season. This team isn't good enough. If we can upgrade the bullpen by giving away mid-tier prospects, fine... If not, roll with what we got and hope we get lucky.

But we are not winning anything this season.

14 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

I don't think anyone is arguing to never trade him, but Simmons was a young starting SS who put up 7.0, 3.6, and 3.9 WAR in his first 3 full seasons. Newcomb was a 22 year old who had made 7 starts in AA. Barria is already in the majors and Brad Hand is a relief pitcher.

And I am not sayin the trade has to be for hand (even though he has controllable years left) or even a reliever. What about a package for Moustakas and Herrera. Or a trade for Soler? What about Bumgardener? There was also mention today on bleacher report of the Mets open to trading DeGrom or Snydergaarg. If we are to trade for anyone of importance with any team control, you bet the asking price will start with Barria most likely or Adell or Canning. I know we as angels fans feel strongly about them and so do I, but if we were to try and aquire any significant talent, it is going to take talented prospects/young MLB talent. And I do know we cannot just sit here and expect to win with what we have. 

4 minutes ago, Lou said:

I disagree 

I disagree with your disagreement. I think teams will still view him as a middle to back end rotation starter who will eat innings. I don't think he'll bring in a package that a more established starter with close to his numbers would bring in. I don't think major league GMs are weighting 7 starts as highly as they are weighting his minor league track record.

8 minutes ago, stanick88 said:

And I am not sayin the trade has to be for hand (even though he has controllable years left) or even a reliever. What about a package for Moustakas and Herrera. Or a trade for Soler? What about Bumgardener? There was also mention today on bleacher report of the Mets open to trading DeGrom or Snydergaarg. If we are to trade for anyone of importance with any team control, you bet the asking price will start with Barria most likely or Adell or Canning. I know we as angels fans feel strongly about them and so do I, but if we were to try and aquire any significant talent, it is going to take talented prospects/young MLB talent. And I do know we cannot just sit here and expect to win with what we have. 

That's fine. But remember that the options that Barria possesses are going to be needed with the 5.5 man rotation. If the right deal for a long term solution comes available he could be a piece. But moving him for a veteran without options for a solution for this year probably won't happen because they can't lose the roster flexibility and still compete this year.

And we are just over 2 1/2 years away from Trout’s contract expiring. You think Trout is excited about a boat load of prospects, where maybe 1/3 or less of them may end up making an impact within 3-5 years from now. I think Trout would be more concerned about putting a team together that can win a championship within the next few years. My biggest worry is that If we do not surround Trout with talent in the next year or so, he will be gone, and then we are stuck with prospects who may or may not ever make an impact. And we would hope that one of those prospects turns out like Trout. Why not try to win while we already have a leg up and while we currently have Trout. 

15 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

I disagree with your disagreement. I think teams will still view him as a middle to back end rotation starter who will eat innings. I don't think he'll bring in a package that a more established starter with close to his numbers would bring in. I don't think major league GMs are weighting 7 starts as highly as they are weighting his minor league track record.

I think him going 5-1 with an era of 2.48 and an ops of 1.046  (166 ops+) in his first stint in the majors has definitely increased his value across the majors. 

EDIT: comparing his trade value in comparison to veteran starters is a completely different conversation 

8 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

That's fine. But remember that the options that Barria possesses are going to be needed with the 5.5 man rotation. If the right deal for a long term solution comes available he could be a piece. But moving him for a veteran without options for a solution for this year probably won't happen because they can't lose the roster flexibility and still compete this year.

Tropeano and Bridwell both have options I believe. Although, I’d rather not have Bridwell up with us with how he is playing in the minors. Plus rosters expansion is getting nearer, and we may throw Ohtani and others on shorter rest as the season gets near the end. Lots of possible solutions. I would love to keep Barria. But I would also trade him for the right player(s)

9 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Barria is part of our core moving forward.  He isn't being traded.  His short SLC starts are almost assuredly intended to manage his innings, so he can continue to partake in our 6-man rotation.  

We also thought Sean Newcomb was apart of our core going forward before he was traded to the objection of a lot of Angels fans.  But I do agree that he is a great piece to help build the future with. 

BUT, it would also be foolish to completely rule out trading him for the right piece(s). And that is all I am saying. 

8 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I'd still like to see a team other than Oakland tattoo Bridwell before I give up on him too.

I would too. I think he is a competitor who pitches to his competition. Or may be he could end up being an ace multiple inning reliever. I am not ready to give up on him either. 

5 minutes ago, stanick88 said:

We also thought Sean Newcomb was apart of our core going forward before he was traded to the objection of a lot of Angels fans.  But I do agree that he is a great piece to help build the future with. 

BUT, it would also be foolish to completely rule out trading him for the right piece(s). And that is all I am saying.  

I do agree with the premise of never say never and understand your point.

That said, I think his value is tremendous with us, and likely he means more to us than other teams, which is why he wouldn't be traded.  For us, he's highly valuable because:

1.  He's pitching very well

2.  He is earning the minimum

3.  He has 3 options, which enables us to shuttle him back and forth as needed

These attributes likely hold more value for us than they do for other interested teams who are rebuilding, which is why it's very unlikely he'd be traded, IMO.

2 hours ago, eaterfan said:

But he was solid in the minors, has improved as he has gone up in level, and is still exceptionally young. He has very good trade value.