• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Marte vs Yunel

I’ll preface this with it is an off day.  I think we all would like an upgrade of our current 3rd base/1st base options.  I think most of us would like to kick the tires on a Moustakas and I am sure a few of you would be all for getting a guy like Machado.  So that got me thinking, who would I rather have in a utility role, Marte or Yunel Escobar.  I think Marte has some upside, but also has some huge holes in his swing.  He isn’t great defensively.  Then there is Escobar, bad defender, good hitter.  In a reserve role he could be a bat off the bench and occasional starter.  

When I think of this team, that doesn’t have bats ready to help at the minor league level yet.  I think of our actual goal this year of making the playoffs, so I think of what upgrades can you make without mortgaging the future.  I don’t think Marte is a long term solution.  

I didn’t care for Yunel when he was here.  Considering he is unemployed, my guess is he isn’t highly sought after.  All that being said, if it is the ninth inning of a game and we have the tying or go ahead run on and we are facing another teams closer, who do I feel more confident will get a hit, Marte or Yunel, I take Yunel all day long.  

48 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

I’ll preface this with it is an off day.  I think we all would like an upgrade of our current 3rd base/1st base options.  I think most of us would like to kick the tires on a Moustakas and I am sure a few of you would be all for getting a guy like Machado.  So that got me thinking, who would I rather have in a utility role, Marte or Yunel Escobar.  I think Marte has some upside, but also has some huge holes in his swing.  He isn’t great defensively.  Then there is Escobar, bad defender, good hitter.  In a reserve role he could be a bat off the bench and occasional starter.  

When I think of this team, that doesn’t have bats ready to help at the minor league level yet.  I think of our actual goal this year of making the playoffs, so I think of what upgrades can you make without mortgaging the future.  I don’t think Marte is a long term solution.  

I didn’t care for Yunel when he was here.  Considering he is unemployed, my guess is he isn’t highly sought after.  All that being said, if it is the ninth inning of a game and we have the tying or go ahead run on and we are facing another teams closer, who do I feel more confident will get a hit, Marte or Yunel, I take Yunel all day long.  

Good point.  We have no one off the bench who would be a good pinch hitter.

1 hour ago, The Boogie Man said:

I always liked Yunel so that's an easy pick for me.

Unfortunately, based on the fact the Angels are currently employing a 6 man rotation and a mediocre BP that is in constant need of reinforcement, the Angels really don't have the room for a pinch hitter.  If you are going to occupy a spot on this roster, you need to be able to play multiple positions effectively, so Marte, in this case, fits the bill better in the sense that he plays an average to below defensive 3B, 1B, and OF to Yunel's mediocre 3B.  However, in the perfect scenario where we'd be able to carry an extra bat without the necessity of defense, yeah, Yunel would be the choice, as he's the superior hitter.

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Should JMF replace Valbuena?  Or should he replace Marte?

Because of the money involved I would say Marte but he really has hit pretty decently this season so would JMF really make a difference? 

When you think about it, it’s understandable why the Angels haven’t made any changes to the offense yet, as frustrating as having a streaky offense is...

1 hour ago, TroutField said:

Valbuena and Marte are essentially the same player.. 1B/3B with good power but big holes in their swings with lots of k’s and mediocre defense. Why do we need two of these on the roster is my question ? Seems redundant and why not let Fernandez get a fair shot instead of these two? 

You are seeing right now why they are both on the team.  Now having Cowart might make one of them or himself expendable.  The reason they are both here is our starting third baseman is our only capable body to be our back up short stop and our back up 2nd baseman.  Our starting DH is actually our starting 1st baseman four days a week.   So it comes down to the other 3 days a week when Ohtani isn’t playing.  Say what you will about Valbuena and Marte they are both better offensively than Chris Young.  So even if Albert starting every game at 1st base, we would still need a DH 2-3 times a week and they are both suited to do that or play a position.