• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Potential pen candidates

Ryan Clark - big RHer.  Know nothing about his stuff.  converted to a reliever this year.  Started in A+.  Now in AAA.  1.61 era over 28.0ip with 23h, 10bb, 38k.  24yo that started in the ATL org.

John Lamb - once a highly regarded prospect now likely a swing guy or sit lefty at he big league level.  doesn't throw hard (or at least he didn't last time I checked).  3.72era in 12 starts for AAA which is pretty damn good.  51k in 46ip.  

Jake Jewell - 25yo RHer.  Converted to relief this year.  2.53 era between AA/AAA.  30k in 32 ip.  Throws hard with a very good slider.  15 walks though.  

Jeremy Rhoades - 25yo RHer.  converted to relief last year and struggled.  1.80 era this year between AA/AAA.  Only 26k in 35ip.  Can pitch multiple innings.  

Tyler Stevens - 22yo RHer.  18th round pick last year.  2.05 era between A+/AA.  promoted a few games ago.  39k in 30.2ip.  8bb/24h.  

Adrian Almeida - 23yo LHer.  Venezuelan originally from the mets org.  2.64 era between A+/AA with 41k in 30.2ip and 19h.  but 32bb.  Not a typo.  

Daniel Procopi - 22yo RHer drafted in the 10th round of 2017.  2.25era in 20ip with 33k for A+.  Recently promoted and got hit hard for 4 er in his most recent outing.  

Matt Custred - 24yo from the ATL org that we picked up.  2.66 era at AA in 23.2ip with 24k.  Watched him a couple times.  Throws decently hard.  Good curve ball.  Stuff not overly flashy.  

Greg Mahle - blast from the past.   Still only 25.  1.88 era in 24ip at AA with 24k, 9bb, and 14h.  Figuring it out?  Sitch lefty?

Canning, Suarez or Pena - all high potential starters at AA.  All with really good stuff.  Velo could play up out of the pen.  Would the halos do something like that right now?  

Overall, the vast majority of these guys are a year away from being solid pen depth pieces.  And there are several on the way at A/A+ as well.  Eppler didn't want to commit money for that reason but he's missed it by a year thinking he could ham and egg it this season till his farm work arrives.  

It's gonna be interesting to see if he actually gives up solid prospects for pen help at the deadline or sooner.  I think the clubhouse would be bummed if he didn't but I can see him standing pat.  

7 hours ago, Dochalo said:

anyone with info on stuff for the above list would be great.  

Clark sits 89-90, but he's very good at offering different looks every pitch. Good change up that dies before it gets to the plate, a slider that he gets chases with and a curve with a lot of bend to it. He sends hitters chasing a lot, despite the lack of velocity.

7 hours ago, Dochalo said:

It's gonna be interesting to see if he actually gives up solid prospects for pen help at the deadline or sooner.  I think the clubhouse would be bummed if he didn't but I can see him standing pat.  

I can't understand him standing pat.  Why waste another year of Trout?  Why waste another year of Simba?  Why waste a starting rotation that is finally living up to potential and staying healthy?

This team has the potential to be a playoff team this season.

3 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

I can't understand him standing pat.  Why waste another year of Trout?  Why waste another year of Simba?  Why waste a starting rotation that is finally living up to potential and staying healthy?

This team has the potential to be a playoff team this season.

All I can think of is restocking the farm and so they can be ready if/when trout leaves. That’s around the time they should be ready. 2020? 

Imo I hope they’ve started putting our feelers to the trout camp on a possible extension , so the front office can act accordingly 

1 hour ago, Scotty@AW said:

Clark sits 89-90, but he's very good at offering different looks every pitch. Good change up that dies before it gets to the plate, a slider that he gets chases with and a curve with a lot of bend to it. He sends hitters chasing a lot, despite the lack of velocity.

I saw Rhoades (two scoreless innings) and Clark (1 scoreless) pitch last Friday against the Tacoma Rainiers. 

Both were sitting at 92-93 but lots of movement. Good cutting action. 

9 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Ryan Clark - big RHer.  Know nothing about his stuff.  converted to a reliever this year.  Started in A+.  Now in AAA.  1.61 era over 28.0ip with 23h, 10bb, 38k.  24yo that started in the ATL org.

John Lamb - once a highly regarded prospect now likely a swing guy or sit lefty at he big league level.  doesn't throw hard (or at least he didn't last time I checked).  3.72era in 12 starts for AAA which is pretty damn good.  51k in 46ip.  

Jake Jewell - 25yo RHer.  Converted to relief this year.  2.53 era between AA/AAA.  30k in 32 ip.  Throws hard with a very good slider.  15 walks though.  

Jeremy Rhoades - 25yo RHer.  converted to relief last year and struggled.  1.80 era this year between AA/AAA.  Only 26k in 35ip.  Can pitch multiple innings.  

Tyler Stevens - 22yo RHer.  18th round pick last year.  2.05 era between A+/AA.  promoted a few games ago.  39k in 30.2ip.  8bb/24h.  

Adrian Almeida - 23yo LHer.  Venezuelan originally from the mets org.  2.64 era between A+/AA with 41k in 30.2ip and 19h.  but 32bb.  Not a typo.  

Daniel Procopi - 22yo RHer drafted in the 10th round of 2017.  2.25era in 20ip with 33k for A+.  Recently promoted and got hit hard for 4 er in his most recent outing.  

Matt Custred - 24yo from the ATL org that we picked up.  2.66 era at AA in 23.2ip with 24k.  Watched him a couple times.  Throws decently hard.  Good curve ball.  Stuff not overly flashy.  

Greg Mahle - blast from the past.   Still only 25.  1.88 era in 24ip at AA with 24k, 9bb, and 14h.  Figuring it out?  Sitch lefty?

Canning, Suarez or Pena - all high potential starters at AA.  All with really good stuff.  Velo could play up out of the pen.  Would the halos do something like that right now?  

Overall, the vast majority of these guys are a year away from being solid pen depth pieces.  And there are several on the way at A/A+ as well.  Eppler didn't want to commit money for that reason but he's missed it by a year thinking he could ham and egg it this season till his farm work arrives.  

They need to try something other than Patedes and Morris

I'd like to see Jewell get called up for a few appearances. Don't think Pena has been extended a fair shot either. 

Morris has definitely been disappointing - I expected better - and Paredes really hasn't shown much in several stints now. Is Dayan Diaz still MIA? @Jeff Fletcher, is he still mired down with visa issues?

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

I saw Rhoades (two scoreless innings) and Clark (1 scoreless) pitch last Friday against the Tacoma Rainiers. 

Both were sitting at 92-93 but lots of movement. Good cutting action. 

Having movement is always a good thing.    How long before they are both ready to be called up?    Morris and Parades couldn't get it done yet.   Time to try someone new.

Jewell has too much control trouble to be trusted at this point.

Did BadRock's clutch 1-2-3 8th inning on Monday night maybe give him some MUCH NEEDED confidence?

10 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Since coming on, he's added all these quality pitchers - Norris, Petit, Hernandez, Parker, nearly Kirby Yates, Alex Meyer, Bridwell, the Ramirezes, bullpen Chacin, all for the cost of...no prospect better than Jordan Kipper or Adam McCreery, and in most cases, basically for free. 

I'm very comfortable that Eppler can address the pen in the next month or two without expending any big prospects. The only real prospects he has surrendered have been for Simmons - extremely justifiable - or for an impact rental like Upton. 

I really don't see him giving up anyone that'd be painful to lose for Herrera or Britton, likely even Hand. Not his MO. He has a good bit of salary available to eat some expensive vets without needing to surrender much more than a Walsh, Pena, Lund, Castillo. I think he'll actually pluck another guy or two off waivers or very minor AAA trades too, he's excelled at that. If he trades any prospect that stings, it's going to be for someone like a Raisel Iglesias or Felipe Rivero/Vasquez type guy who's in the same mold as the Simmons trade.

17 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Since coming on, he's added all these quality pitchers - Norris, Petit, Hernandez, Parker, nearly Kirby Yates, Alex Meyer, Bridwell, the Ramirezes, bullpen Chacin, all for the cost of...no prospect better than Jordan Kipper or Adam McCreery, and in most cases, basically for free. 

I'm very comfortable that Eppler can address the pen in the next month or two without expending any big prospects. The only real prospects he has surrendered have been for Simmons - extremely justifiable - or for an impact rental like Upton. 

I really don't see him giving up anyone that'd be painful to lose for Herrera or Britton, likely even Hand. Not his MO. He has a good bit of salary available to eat some expensive vets without needing to surrender much more than a Walsh, Pena, Lund, Castillo. I think he'll actually pluck another guy or two off waivers or very minor AAA trades too, he's excelled at that. If he trades any prospect that stings, it's going to be for someone like a Raisel Iglesias or Felipe Rivero/Vasquez type guy who's in the same mold as the Simmons trade.

100% agreed.  Our bullpen isn't as bad as people think it is.  We are missing a legitimate closer, and unfortunately Middleton went down, but we do have some other solid pieces - Alvarez, Anderson, Ramirez, Parker, etc.  Realistically, if we had a closer (Vazquez or Hand), it pushes everyone's responsibility level down a peg, which is probably all we truly need.  Then, thinking towards next year, if we had a closer (Vazquez/Hand) and regained Middelton around May/June, then we'd actually have a pretty solid pen.  Combine that with a likely inhouse promotion or two, and I think we're in good shape.

15 hours ago, Dochalo said:

anyone with info on stuff for the above list would be great.  

Tyler Stevens has a really nice 12/6 curve

Clark used to throw low 90s as a starter -- Not sure if his stuff is playing up now that he's out of the pen -- but he's been a much better as a RP than at any point as a SP (professionally).

Jewell, Rhoades and the two guys above (+ maybe Mahle), are likely our best best for help from within assuming they want to keep the SPs as starters.  

55 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

100% agreed.  Our bullpen isn't as bad as people think it is.  We are missing a legitimate closer, and unfortunately Middleton went down, but we do have some other solid pieces - Alvarez, Anderson, Ramirez, Parker, etc.  Realistically, if we had a closer (Vazquez or Hand), it pushes everyone's responsibility level down a peg, which is probably all we truly need.  Then, thinking towards next year, if we had a closer (Vazquez/Hand) and regained Middelton around May/June, then we'd actually have a pretty solid pen.  Combine that with a likely inhouse promotion or two, and I think we're in good shape.

And that's not to say we won't trade for Herrera or Britton...but if we do, I think it'd be closer to the deadline when the cost is lower, either due to less time of control, injury, or diminished performance between now and then.

Absolutely nothing about Eppler leads me to believe he'd deal a Top 10 or even 15 prospect for a rental, even if it was a slam-dunk closer. If he was to use a prospect of that quality, it'd be for someone with control. 

The guy has a knack for finding effective pitching at virtually no-cost - in fact, the only pitching misses he's really had were starters - Lincecum, one year of Nolasco, Chavez, Huff, starter Chacin, Oberholtzer. Nolasco and Chacin even had their moments where they were good for extended periods. Pounders was awful.

Even some of the 'bad' relievers he's pulled in weren't necessarily awful...just mediocre, which you'd expect since they cost nothing. Achter (3.11 ERA, but awful FIP), Valdez (4.24 ERA)

Look at what else he found in relievers like Bailey (1.76 ERA), Ege (1.04 ERA), Guerra (3.68), Hernandez (2.23), Salas Rd. 2 (2.63), Petit (2.76), Norris (4.21), Parker (2.63), Noe (3.38)

15 hours ago, totdprods said:

maybe too late in 2 months to make a difference.