• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Forbes: Mike Scioscia, On Path To Hall Of Fame, Should Get A New Contract With Angels On The Way

T.G.

Oh boy... some of you are going to have a field day with this one...

From Forbes: Mike Scioscia deserves an extension now

Excerpt: “He’s a special guy to play for,” said Trout, who has never played for anyone else in his eight big-league seasons. “He comes in, and he wants to win. That’s the biggest thing a player wants in a manager. We have a great team around him, and he wants us to win.”

I've come to the point of not being that invested in who the manager is.  Managers make, what, a 1-2 game swing over the course of 162 games?  Sure there are things we point out and things we'd like to see done differently, but I think it's just complaining for the sake of complaining.

6 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

I've come to the point of not being that invested in who the manager is.  Managers make, what, a 1-2 game swing over the course of 162 games?  Sure there are things we point out and things we'd like to see done differently, but I think it's just complaining for the sake of complaining.

You think batting Pujols 4th for an entire year is only a 1-2 game swing?

I've definitely complained about Scioscia at times and still scratch my head when I see the line up at times but there's no denying how successful the Angels have been under his tenure.  He's had some teams that over performed and some that under performed but the credit or blame doesn't always fall on him.  That said I think at a point it's simply time for a change and when a guy has been manager since 2000 and his 10 year contract is up at the end of 2018 I think that's a good time.

As to the Trout question of course but they're FA's at different times so unless Trout says he'll sign an extension this off season if Mike is brought back it's a moot point.  

I think he deserves to be in the HoF someday, being with one team for as long as he has, and his managerial record will earn him that spot. With that being said he hasn't earned that extension yet. If the Angels make it to the playoffs/make a run in the playoffs, then people can start talking about an extension. My personal feelings are that it's time to "Tip the Cap" and "Turn the Page" on Ol' Lasagna and let him manage the Doyyers or something next year.

Edited by John Taylor

5 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

I've definitely complained about Scioscia at times and still scratch my head when I see the line up at times but there's no denying how successful the Angels have been under his tenure.  He's had some teams that over performed and some that under performed but the credit or blame doesn't always fall on him.  That said I think at a point it's simply time for a change and when a guy has been manager since 2000 and his 10 year contract is up at the end of 2018 I think that's a good time.

As to the Trout question of course but they're FA's at different times so unless Trout says he'll sign an extension this off season if Mike is brought back it's a moot point.  

If they miss the playoffs again this year, he will have only been to the playoffs once in the last 9 seasons.  A first round sweep.

In 19 seasons he will have 7 post season appearances, 1 WS and 1 pennant.  People overrate the hell out of Scioscia because of how good the Angels were from 2001-2009, but the reality is, he is just mediocre and cashing in on a gigantic contract extension that never should have been awarded.  Any other manager would have been fired five seasons ago.

I think some of you greatly overestimate the influence Scioscia has on Trout wanting to be here.

Lol at that being the difference between him staying or leaving.

If Trout leaves, it will be because either someone paid him more or because he wants to be closer to home. All the other stuff about Pujols and Sosh is just noise. Also if he feels he has a better chance at winning somewhere else the last 10 years of his career, he'll leave. 

The Angels need to focus on setting themselves up so they can put a better team around him in the future. Also making the playoffs the next 3 years of his current contract would go a long way.

2 hours ago, Dave Saltzer said:

I've asked it before, and I'll ask it again: If keeping Trout meant keeping Scioscia, would you do it?

Hell yes!!!!!

But dont think Trout would make that a requirement.  If we do go with a change I would make sure you get feedback from Trout.

We dont know if Trout would like playing for a new manager.   We do know he likes playing for Scioscia