• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Angels need to go get Kelvin Herrera

Chuck

Herrera has been outstanding this season, compiling a 0.79 ERA, 0.71 WHIP and 19/0 K/BB ratio across his first 22 2/3 innings while making good on all but one of his first 14 save chances.

While we're at it, get a right fielder who can hit. 

I want Herrera and Jon Jay.  That being said, is it enough?  Is it worth the cost?  What would the cost be now?  What would it be in 6 weeks?  Lastly, do we know enough about Herrera to know if he would re-sign?  Would you trade Thias and Ward for those two?  The trade I had been thinking about lately is something like Heaney or Skaggs plus a prospect ranked 5-10 for Herrera and Ian Kennedy.  It gives them a quality starting pitcher and allows them to shed some salary.  That is what I think it would take to get a deal done today.  

I only go get Herrera at the trading deadline if we are still in contention.  Trading for Herrera now means a higher cost, and given our place in the standings, it may not make sense to trade future assets for a short-term piece.

The Royals will know we are eager buyers, which puts us at a disadvantage.  You don't ever want to come across as the needy one in a trade, because that means your chances of "losing the trade" are much higher.  We will still be needy come the end of July, but the Royals will also have the impetus to trade Herrera or risk getting nothing for him when he departs as a FA, so at least the stakes will be more even at that point.

9 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

The Angels went out and got Grienke when they were 6 games out.

The other question is, if you wait another 2 months till the deadline this BP could have blown 5-10 more games, putting us out of even the WC contention.

So tell me your best offer to get him?

18 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

The other question is, if you wait another 2 months till the deadline this BP could have blown 5-10 more games, putting us out of even the WC contention.

And Grienke while decent enough wasn’t enough to make it to October baseball, and cost them Segura.

This team needs more than one excellent closer.   It needs two other solid setup men, a RF, for Cozart to hit better, and for Pujols and Upton to hit more consistently.

There is a reason they are 18-25 over the past 43 games.

Also.  I’m convinced that the biggest problem with the team is the line up.  We really should get Mike Moustakas.  Another good bat would make a massive difference.  I think that even if Kinslers week long resurgence is legit the more reliable bat is still needed.  

Bullpen wouldnt be in so many or these situations if we can score.   They’ve scored 2 or fewer runs in 21 games this season.  Almost 40 percent of games played.  We need a lot better then that. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

20 minutes ago, JustATroutFan said:

It's Kelvin, and yes, the Angels NEED to make a deal for him! Also, as a bonus, he can go multiple innings a lot of times. Should cause less stress when the starters are no longer pitching.

Do you just make sh*t up as you go along? 

9 minutes ago, TroutField said:

I think you guys are underestimating what it will cost to get Herrera or Hand. We all know how expensive relief pitching is during the season and the Astros are going to be looking to make some additions as well, driving up the price. 

Not underestimating.  It’s going to be expensive.  I would trade Jam Jones and a prospect in the 10-15 range for Hand. 

14 minutes ago, TroutField said:

I think you guys are underestimating what it will cost to get Herrera or Hand. We all know how expensive relief pitching is during the season and the Astros are going to be looking to make some additions as well, driving up the price. 

If it costs a lot to get Herrera then simply don't get him.  I would not mortgage a future mainstay in our line up for a closer for 3-4 months.  But I would give up Suarez or a couple of prospects 15-30. 

22 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Not underestimating.  It’s going to be expensive.  I would trade Jam Jones and a prospect in the 10-15 range for Hand. 

Yes for hand I would do that but not for Herrera because he’s a rental, giving up anyone in the top 10 for Herrera would hurt big time 

1 minute ago, TroutField said:

Yes for hand I would do that but not for Herrera because he’s a rental, giving up anyone in the top 10 for Herrera would hurt big time 

I don't think the Padres would get rid of Hand that easily. They have one of the best farms in baseball, they will contend soon.

3 hours ago, Warfarin said:

I only go get Herrera at the trading deadline if we are still in contention.  Trading for Herrera now means a higher cost, and given our place in the standings, it may not make sense to trade future assets for a short-term piece.

The Royals will know we are eager buyers, which puts us at a disadvantage.  You don't ever want to come across as the needy one in a trade, because that means your chances of "losing the trade" are much higher.  We will still be needy come the end of July, but the Royals will also have the impetus to trade Herrera or risk getting nothing for him when he departs as a FA, so at least the stakes will be more even at that point.

Agreed. You mentioned it in another thread, and youre right, you dont target him unless were fighting for a probable playoff spot. Otherwise, no sense in trading for him. As in, hes not enough to change our fortunes for THIS year.

3 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Chuck, first of all teams that are selling know that they can ask for the Earth, moon, and stars this far out and we would be giving up a King's ransom just for a reliever. On top of that most teams will purposely make you sweat it out this far away from the Trade Deadline to see if you make a foolish move. Finally our current squad just has to do better on its own. We are stuck here until July.

White Sox, Reds, and Rays have some interesting relievers too who won't cost nearly as much. 

I'd try and add someone like Joakim Soria, Jared Hughes, Brad Brach, Tyler Clippard, John Axford, or Nate Jones first - someone who will come a lot cheaper in terms of prospect capital first and save those bullets for an impact bat and/or starter closer to deadline.