• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Billy, have you learned your lesson now?

7 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

That would be encouraging.   But, Middleton is not ready to be anything over a #3-#5 reliever yet for a true post-season team, as long as his heat is still too straight.

Ideally, we could acquire a closer for the long-term (Hand, or sign Herrera), and have Anderson/Middleton/Alvarez combine to cover the 7-8 innings, with Ramirez/Parker covering 6-7, and another dude (Meyer?) being the "long-reliever" who comes in to cover the earlier innings if our starter flames out.

I think we really just need the one bullpen piece (closer).  We would basically be swapping someone like BedRock (last guy in the pen) for our new closer, which is a huge upgrade.  We actually have some pretty decent pitchers otherwise, but right now, they're all pitching later in the game than they should be.  If we just push each guy down a peg in the pecking order (or two spots for some of them, once Middleton returns healthy), I think our pen will be pretty good.  Not elite, but certainly pretty good.

1 hour ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

Check again on Puig. I think Harper will be very expensive and too risky. Put Pollock in CF and Trout in RF. Glad to see you didn't object to Adam Jones or Michael Brantley.

I did.  Puig is not a free agent.  He is eligible for arbitration next year.

7 minutes ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

Spotrac has Puig as a UFA after the 2018 season. Please tell me where you get your info from. I would only sign Puig if I couldn't sign Brantley, Pollock, or Jones, and if Hermosillo/Blash don't pan out this year.

https://www.rosterresource.com/mlb-los-angeles-dodgers

Entering the season, Puig had 4.102 years of service.  The maximum (and likely) amount he will have at season's end is 5.102 years of this.  This is not enough service time to be a free agent - he must have 6 seasons.

https://www.rosterresource.com/mlb-los-angeles-dodgers-info 

The above reference shows that for 2019, Puig is "ARB 3" - NOT a FA.

3 minutes ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

I use Spotrac, where does it say he is able for arbitration? Spotrac says he will be UFA.

Sportrac is not a great website for things like this.  Cot's contracts and Roster Resource are far, far superior when it comes to figuring these things out.  Cot's contract is THE go-to source for luxury tax info, IMO.

2 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Sportrac is not a great website for things like this.  Cot's contracts and Roster Resource are far, far superior when it comes to figuring these things out.  Cot's contract is THE go-to source for luxury tax info, IMO.

I agree, Cot's is the best.  

2 minutes ago, Lou said:

His contract runs out at the end of the year, but he'll be arbitration eligible in 2019. 

He won't be a free agent until 2020. 

And, on this note too, it's helpful to look at our players and see who is arbitration eligible and the level of control we still have, all nicely laid out in a grid:

https://www.rosterresource.com/mlb-los-angeles-angels-info/

Of those guys, I can see Shoemaker, JC Ramirez, and maybe BedRock not being offered arbitration next year to conserve $$.  I imagine we could re-sign both Shoemaker and Ramirez on minor league deals with many incentives attached (i.e. one bonus for being on the MLB roster, another for pitching in an X amount of games, etc).  

2 hours ago, Warfarin said:

https://www.rosterresource.com/mlb-los-angeles-dodgers

Entering the season, Puig had 4.102 years of service.  The maximum (and likely) amount he will have at season's end is 5.102 years of this.  This is not enough service time to be a free agent - he must have 6 seasons.

https://www.rosterresource.com/mlb-los-angeles-dodgers-info 

The above reference shows that for 2019, Puig is "ARB 3" - NOT a FA.

Those sites make estimates, so just as Warfarin said he started the year with 4 years, 102 service days. By the end of this year he should have 5 years, 102 service days which means he only has one more year of arbitration control left (since he signed a MLB deal that superseded his arbitration year salaries). He has one option left but he'd have to be kept down 103 days in the Minors this year and that isn't happening so he is controlled through next season then a free agent after the 2019 season.

On 6/2/2018 at 10:48 PM, BackUpTheTruck said:

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Put Barria in the pen if you have to. Put Richards in the pen if you have to. Be open to having Suarez or Canning as a 6th starter. They are talented, and they may surprise us.

I can assure you we will be out of the playoff hunt at the deadline unless changes are made. 

Insanity is putting a needed starter in the bullpen. We need to get a real RP and keep every starter we have.