• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Classic Rewind Angels History Thread

1 hour ago, Tank said:

Boy, if only we could have hit the reset button after that idiotic "two 8-7 pitchers" comment . . .

You can, but it gets replaced with...

“If we want to call ‘decline’ going from superhuman to great,” DiPoto said during a morning press conference. “I don’t think we’ve seen the last great days of Albert Pujols, or we wouldn’t be sitting here today.”

June 2, 1964. 

Dean Chance pitches a 2-hit shutout against the Boston Red Sox, striking out 15 batters. He had a no-hitter going until two outs in the 6th inning. Both Red Sox hits were singles.

It was one of a club record 28 shutouts for the Angels in 1964. Chance would go on to win the Cy Young Award that year.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/LAA/LAA196406020.shtml

Edited by fan_since79

Ryan pitched almost 2700 innings before he became a free agent.  He was entering his age 33 season.  his bb rate per 9 was 5.5 and his k rate was 9.7.  So not only did he throw a ton of innings but he also threw a ton of pitches.  

I know the environment has changed, but I would consider that a risky FA move and he was the highest paid player in the league.   

Turns out he was a freak of nature.  

1 hour ago, fan_since79 said:

June 2, 1964. 

Dean Chance pitches a 2-hit shutout against the Boston Red Sox, striking out 15 batters. He had a no-hitter going until two outs in the 6th inning. Both Red Sox hits were singles.

It was one of a club record 28 shutouts for the Angels in 1964. Chance would go on to win the Cy Young Award that year.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/LAA/LAA196406020.shtml

I have to raise my hand and say that I got to see Chance pitch not once but twice in ‘64. One game was a shutout but don’t remember much more than that.

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

He was showing signs of being like Steve Carlton though.

The very rare DL stints, maintaining his pitching through the entire season

The other thing being his drawing power

Anyone that lived through Ryan's Angel career knows how many fans he drew to the park. When Ryan first came to the Angels the attendance was horrible on days that he didn't pitch but it was a different story when he did pitch.

Bavasi was an idiot..letting Ryan leave is one of the biggest blunders in ML history.

4 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

The Angels played at Dodger Stadium in 1964.

On that Tuesday night in June when Chance pitched his 1-0 gem, there were 3,372 fans in the stadium. The Angels were 17-30 at the time.

i'm sure anaheim bob will be here any moment to complain about a move bill rigney made in the 7th inning on may 17 that didn't work as well as it could have, even though the angels still won the game.

16 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

The Angels played at Dodger Stadium in 1964.

On that Tuesday night in June when Chance pitched his 1-0 gem, there were 3,372 fans in the stadium. The Angels were 17-30 at the time.

They were 82-80 that year.   Pretty nice record from that point forward (65-50)

Chance started the year in relief.   His moving into the rotation had to be one of the main reasons for the big rally.

June 3, 2003

Angels hit 13 HRs in the first two games of the Montreal series in Puerto Rico (June 3-4) to tie the A.L. record for HRs in consecutive games.

June 3rd boxscore below: six home runs, including two by Jeff DaVanon.

Expos' starter Tomo Ohka: 2 IP, 11 hits, 8 ER, 3 HR

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/MON/MON200306030.shtml

Edited by fan_since79

June 4, 2003

Jeff DaVanon posted his third consecutive multiple home run game, the fourth player in ML history to accomplish the feat, joining Lee May (Cincinnati, 1969), Frank Thomas (New York Mets, 1962) and Gus Zernial (Philadelphia A's, 1951)...Angels collected a club-record seven home runs in the effort.

http://articles.latimes.com/2003/jun/05/sports/sp-angels5

Edited by fan_since79

53 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

June 4, 2003

Jeff DaVanon posted his third consecutive multiple home run game, the fourth player in ML history to accomplish the feat, joining Lee May (Cincinnati, 1969), Frank Thomas (New York Mets, 1962) and Gus Zernial (Philadelphia A's, 1951)...Angels collected a club-record seven home runs in the effort.

http://articles.latimes.com/2003/jun/05/sports/sp-angels5

I wish the Angels would go do a series there again to see how many HRs Trout could hit.

Got busy yesterday and missed this.

June 6, 1964

Dean Chance pitched a club-record 14 innings (no decision) allowing just three hits (one through nine innings) and no runs while striking out 12 Yankees...Angels lost the game, 2-0 in 15 innings...Chance went on to capture the Cy Young award that season, going 20-9 with 15 complete games, 11 shutouts and a 1.65 ERA.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/LAA/LAA196406060.shtml

Angels had 10 hits and 6 walks but did not score.

Jim Bouton pitched 13 scoreless innings for New York.

Edited by fan_since79

On 6/2/2018 at 9:53 AM, Dick B Back said:

I have to raise my hand and say that I got to see Chance pitch not once but twice in ‘64. One game was a shutout but don’t remember much more than that.

He tossed 11 shutouts with a 1.65 ERA in 278 1/3 innings in 64. He was a beast!