• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How do we turn things around?

If I was the GM, how would I turn this around? Hmmm (though bubble appears...wavy-line wipe slowly occurs accompanied by harp music):

- Calhoun really needs an "injury"...something that will allow him a mental break and a rehab stint in the hitter-friendly PCL.  It takes his bat out of the line-up and gives someone like Hermosillo fulltime at bats.  After the DL stint and rehab stint are over, Calhoun is re-inserted into the line-up and we see how it goes.  He's not owed a ton of money but enough to give you pause at an outright release.  Plus, a fully functioning Calhoun is a 3 WAR player - great RF defense, strong, accurate arm, .250 .330 .730 OPS...he has value if not broken.

- Pick one Valbuena or Marte.  Both "play" at 1B and 3B...one hits right, one hits left, both are kinda "meh" in all aspects. 

Valbeuna's career numbers: .229 .313 OBP .712 OPS  

Valbunea's Angels numbers: .211 .290 OBP .711 OPS

The dude is what he is...a not so great defender who hits for power, when he hits, and a sweet bat-flip employed in all instances.  We probably hang on to him because of the money but would we really miss him if he was gone?  Probably not.

Marte is essentially Valbuena with less of a track record...oh, and he can play the outfield with similar ability to the infield so take that for what it's worth.  

Pick one...

- Promote Jose Fernandez.  

.358 .432 OBP 1.006 OPS, plays 1B, 2B, and 3B and the fact he's walked more than he's K'd tells me he's his offensive prowess is not a product of playing PCL.  The fact he bats left may make Valbuena redundant but we need someone who knows what they are doing when they step up to the plate.  Also, why the hell pick this guy up if you are not going to use him?  Let's see what he can do.

- Keep scrounging for BP arms.  What else can you do at this point?  There are no guarantees when it comes to the BP it seems - new guys emerge, previously reliable options break down, you have to be flexible.  

Don't know if it's a winning formula but, given the fact that there are a lot of locked places on the roster who are just not performing, you really don't have much of an option besides waiting it out and hoping that guys start breaking out like Kinsler. 

im literally laughing at all the cut everyone posts... who do you propose to replace all these arms with?|
Were not going to make 87 moves at once, nor should we.  If this team played to its potential we wouldnt even be having this discussion.

That having been said my view really hasnt changed much on what we should do aside from the fact that ive seen no reason over the last couple of weeks to think Calhoun or Kinsler are coming out of it, and time is running out on that, we cant carry both of them much longer.

For me the immediate to do list is as follows:
#1 get an anchor for the pen
#2 release Kinsler, bring up JMF or Fletcher.  I think Fletcher is our long term answer much more than JMF. but JMF can also fill in spots for Marta and others as needed and provides the best option for the club right now in that regard.   Fletcher will get his shot, soon, but im not sure now is the time.
#3 Calhoun needs to get fixed, and he isnt doing it at the ML level.  Its time to send him down to figure it out.  I am not sold on Blash, that swing will not translate in my opinion, i would give Hermosillo an extended look and see how it pans out. 

as for the rest, well lets see how those work out a little before we gut the roster, lol 

At the very least, if they’re not going to demote Kole for a AAA reboot, bench him and play Young everyday for a couple weeks. Even if he doesn’t play any better, it’ll seal Young’s fate quicker and maybe give Kole enough of a breather to remember how to hit. 

3 minutes ago, Lou said:

I disagree

That's your opinion. The narrative is the same every year...they are in the wild card hunt until the last week of the season and come up 3-4 games short. Those are games in April where Scioscia sat on his hands hoping guys who are scuffling figure it out. Wouldn't it be nice for once to go into the final week preparing for the first round of the playoffs instead of shitting your pants because every single stupid game could eliminate you?

1 minute ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

That's your opinion. The narrative is the same every year...they are in the wild card hunt until the last week of the season and come up 3-4 games short. Those are games in April where Scioscia sat on his hands hoping guys who are scuffling figure it out. Wouldn't it be nice for once to go into the final week preparing for the first round of the playoffs instead of shitting your pants because every single stupid game could eliminate you?

I agree it would be nice if he was given a bullpen.  

7 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

of course it's my opinion, I wrote it, genious 

I didn't say games count differently in the standing in April than they do in August. I disagreed with your comment that they have the same impact.  

15 minutes ago, Lou said:

of course it's my opinion, I wrote it, genious 

I didn't say games count differently in the standing in April than they do in August. I disagreed with your comment that they have the same impact.  

Ironic?

If they count the same in april and may then they have the same impact at the end of the season. Just because personally you don't feel like it does that's still the case. A loss is a loss is a loss no matter how you want to paint it.

19 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

I agree it would be nice if he was given a bullpen.  

Absolutely. I'm well aware that Eppler plays a big role in the lack of movement here. Standing pat while the rest of the league strings together victories isn't an approach any fan base wants to see.

1 hour ago, AngelStew43 said:

The bad news is, we are on the hook for 10.5 million for Kole Calhoun in 2019.

Which is why you try to fix him, not cut him.  
Send him down a few weeks or so and hope he gets it back.  WE have an investment there, no reason to throw it away.