• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How much are you willing to give up for this season?

It's obvious that we need help if the Angels are going to make the playoff.

We have major holes at rf, 2b and bullpen. 3b and 1b aren't very good either.

So.....If I am Eppler I'll trade everyone except Adell, Jones and Canning for moose, Herrera and Hand.

Thoughts?

I think the 13-3 start gave everyone, including myself of what this team is capable of.  Everything was clicking well at that time and, now, very few have been clicking right since.  The talent we have lies somewhere in the middle of the two extremes.  

The starting pitching is fine, leave it alone...unless we're beset by injuries again, the 6 man rotation of Ohtani, Skaggs, Richards, Heaney, Tropeano, and Barria is perfect for keeping innings low for previously injured (Heaney, Richards, Tropeano, Skaggs) or young (Ohtani, Barria).  Occassional blowout notwithstanding, these guys give us a chance every night.

Offensively, Trout, Simmons, Upton, Cozart, Ohtani, Pujols, and Maldonado are going to be in there most nights. I think you can expect Upton to heat up to around an .850 OPS/130 OPS+ before the end of the year, Cozart should improve as well, Pujols and Maldonado are what they are, and Ohtani and Simmons will hopefully stay were he's at but you'll probably see some regression.  Calhoun is not this bad but who knows if he'll pull out of it any time soon; at this point, you don't have the luxury of time to wait.  

Kinsler and Valbuenda are where they can make immediate gains with minimal impact to cost...neither are signed past this season and both have legit prospects waiting to come through in Fletcher, Fernandez, and Hermosillo...it just needs Eppler and Scioscia to be willing to pull the on some moves.

The BP is a mess and they are going to be contending with a lot of buyers like the Indians who are seeking help as well.  I'm not sure I'm willing to see 2 to 3 years worth of minor league depth depleted for less than a year of help.  I think Eppler needs to continue to plug away and find the next Blake Parker or Noe Ramirez to give them some depth and then look for some bargains near the deadline . 

3 minutes ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

JMF can play first, third, and second.

hasn't krol been called up already? he pitched this weekend against the yanks. or did they send him back down?

if he's already here, then they still would need to replace valbuena with someone else.

Just now, Tank said:

hasn't krol been called up already? he pitched this weekend against the yanks. or did they send him back down?

if he's already here, then they still would need to replace valbuena with someone else.

Krol was sent down for Akeel Morris. Might as well be Dallas running back Alfred Morris.

9 minutes ago, Tank said:

krol = pitcher

valbuena = not a pitcher

unless we have another ohtani or ralston schmidt lurking in the wings, this won't/can't happen.

He was on a roll and you had to spoil it...

I literally cannot believe people want to drop half the ML roster for that of SLC.  Its gross exaggeration and will never happen.  If we truly have that many holes, we should not be worrying about playoffs.  

I would address Kinsler, it makes perfect sense, we have no ties to or investment in him and hes on an expiring deal, this is obvious.  

I would put doing something with Calhoun second, maybe some time in AAA IDK but getting him right makes more sense that getting him gone.  

The rest, well see above.   Were not trading for half the starters to be replaced, thats just nuts.  

The team has sucked for the better part of the season now. They are 16-22 over their last 38 games, which comprises 70 percent of the season to date. 

I wouldn't give up anything at the moment to fix any of the many holes that exist. My opinion will change if they start playing well again.

I wouldn’t trade anyone in the top ten for a rental, with the exception of possibly Ward (in a package) if it is Moustakas and Herrera.  I would trade fringe guys for a short term solution for RF, someone like Jon Jay.  I would solve 2nd base internally immediately, whether that is JMF or Fletcher, I will trust Eppler to decide which one.  Give them a couple of months of at bats to determine if they are the solution for the rest of the year.  If we are still in the hunt, and they aren’t the solution then trade for a major league second baseman.  Marte and Valbuena are redundant, so I would release one and call up JMF or Cowart to replace one or the other or both.  At least if you have Cowart you have a guy with a Major League Baseball skillset (defense) because I am not sure either Marte or Valbuena do.

9 minutes ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

Show me where Marte and Valbuena hit as well as Fletcher, JMF, or Blash in AAA.

Kinsler, Calhoun, and Young are finished.

Ian Krol has earned a roster spot.

Do i truly have to explain the difference between AAA and MLB to you?   how many guys have we seen come up and fail?
Calhoun was a 2-4 WAR player before the start of this season.
Kinsler, yeah i agree completely and was never that high on Young but hes a bench player and whether or not hes there wont affect the season that greatly. 

I have said in other threads i would be fine with releasing Kinsler and giving Fletcher a shot, but we better be prepared for plan B if its too soon.  Blash, im sorry that swing wont translate IMO.  

Regardless you cant make that kind of wholesale changes all at once.  No GM would do that its career suicide. 

14 minutes ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

Show me where Marte and Valbuena hit as well as Fletcher, JMF, or Blash in AAA.

Kinsler, Calhoun, and Young are finished.

Ian Krol has earned a roster spot.

Exactly. Kinsler, Calhoun & Young probably won't be in the majors next year.

Hermosillo & Briceno have done better than Kinsler, Calhoun & Young.

2 minutes ago, floplag said:

Do i truly have to explain the difference between AAA and MLB to you?   how many guys have we seen come up and fail?
Calhoun was a 2-4 WAR player before the start of this season.
Kinsler, yeah i agree completely and was never that high on Young but hes a bench player and whether or not hes there wont affect the season that greatly. 

I have said in other threads i would be fine with releasing Kinsler and giving Fletcher a shot, but we better be prepared for plan B if its too soon.  Blash, im sorry that swing wont translate IMO.  

Regardless you cant make that kind of wholesale changes all at once.  No GM would do that its career suicide. 

Yep, until we replace starters it won’t matter.  

Just now, Scioscia4MVP said:

Exactly. Kinsler, Calhoun & Young probably won't be in the majors next year.

Hermosillo & Briceno have done better than Kinsler, Calhoun & Young.

Briceno?  That is a bit of a stretch, he has 5 at bats?  

Just now, The Boogie Man said:

Yep, until we replace starters it won’t matter.  

Fine, but all at once?  no way, you dont do that.  
#1 release Kinsler, call up Fletcher or JMF see what happens. 
#2 Calhoun, im perplexed, but it cant continue, let him work it out in AAA.  But we need to see if he can be fixed.  None of the OF at SLC are putting up staggering numbers and since EY isnt on the 40.  

2 minutes ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

You have to be flexible. What we have now has not worked, and will not work in the future. One third of the season is a sufficient sample size. Calhoun, Young, and Kinsler are worthless offensively, Fletcher and Blash/Hermosillo would absolutely put up better numbers. JMF has put up far better numbers in AAA than Vabuena and Marte ever have. Valbuena is a proven strikeout machine. JMF can play first, second, and third, and does not strike out that much.  

+1

Again, what does Valnobuena supply, that JMF can't??????????????????????   Almost seems like they never want to promote JMF.