• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official TROUTstanding Thread

Chuck

Let's keep it this way:

1. Mike Trout 5.7

2. Cody Bellinger 5.6

3. Christian Yelich 4.8

4. Everyone else 3.8 or lower

Or I love this - Top fWAR in AL:

1. Mike Trout 5.7

2. Xander Bogaerts 3.7

3. Alex Bregman 3.7

4. Matt Chapman 3.6

5. DJ LeMahieu 3.5

In other words, Trout has a full 2 WAR lead over #2 in the AL - halfway through the season...that's +54%.

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Let's keep it this way:

1. Mike Trout 5.7

2. Cody Bellinger 5.6

3. Christian Yelich 4.8

4. Everyone else 3.8 or lower

Or I love this - Top fWAR in AL:

1. Mike Trout 5.7

2. Xander Bogaerts 3.7

3. Alex Bregman 3.7

4. Matt Chapman 3.6

5. DJ LeMahieu 3.5

In other words, Trout has a full 2 WAR lead over #2 in the AL - halfway through the season...that's +54%.

I miss Mookie 

On 6/20/2019 at 12:53 AM, Angelsjunky said:

Schmidt is generally considered to be the best third baseman of all time, with all due respect to Eddie Matthews, Wade Boggs, and George Brett. He was just so damn consistently great from 1974-87, 14 years in a row of 5+ fWAR.

As for Connor, he was a name that only lodged in my brain a year or two ago...I tend to think of Honus Wagner as the first all-time great, with everyone before being from a different era that is hard to consider the same game. 

Brooks Robinson 16 consecutive Gold Gloves. Yeah, it's a voted award and not a counting stat but still, he was recognized as the best defender of his time period by his peers. As the trackman stats start to find their way to defensive WAR, guys like Brooks Robinson will fade in total WAR value because of incomplete data. The fairness of WAR value before more comprehensive stats will require footnotes to level the playing field of who was the better at what skill. 

8 hours ago, Dochalo said:

talking heads on mlb radio the other day arguing that he should be an all-star because fans want to see him play.  

8 hours ago, Lou said:

Now we know why Ohtani didn't make it 

Ohtani .307/.362/.564/.926   143 OPS+  12 home runs in 49 games

Betts .265/.388/.457/.845    120 OPS+  13 home runs in 84 games

If Ohtani could play outfield this season there would be no way he could have been left off the All Star ballot. Next year, when he is back on the mound he will definitely be a starter. 

4 hours ago, Blarg said:

Brooks Robinson 16 consecutive Gold Gloves. Yeah, it's a voted award and not a counting stat but still, he was recognized as the best defender of his time period by his peers. As the trackman stats start to find their way to defensive WAR, guys like Brooks Robinson will fade in total WAR value because of incomplete data. The fairness of WAR value before more comprehensive stats will require footnotes to level the playing field of who was the better at what skill. 

But Brooks was plenty rewarded by WAR - with 359.8 Defensive Runs, which is significantly more than any other third baseman (Beltre is second with 218.4) and is almost half of his total WAR. In fact, according to Fangraphs' Defensive Runs, Brooks was the third greatest defensive player of all time after Ozzie Smith and Yadier Molina. Brooks was the greatest defensive third baseman but nowhere near the hitter Schmidt was, and Schmidt was hardly a slouch defensivelly, winning 10 Gold Gloves (with 150.7 Def). But the gap hitting-wise was far greater:

Brooks: .267/.322/.401, 104 wRC+, 268 HR, 1357 RBI, 1232 Runs

Schmidt: .267/.380/.527, 147 wRC+, 548 HR, 1595 RBI, 1506 Runs

Schmidt even stole a few bases, 174 to Brooks' 28.

Trout's at 5.8 fWAR through that HR today, so he's now on pace for 10.7 for the season. I know it is a silly thing, but I'd really like to see him get to 10.5 on the season. Here's why:

Top fWAR Seasons, Trout Era (2012-18)

1. Betts 2018 10.4

2. Posey 2012 10.4

3. Trout 2013 10.2

4. Trout 2012 10.1

5. Trout 2018 9.8

6. Trout 2016 9.7

7. Harper 2015 9.3

8. Trout 2015 9.3

9. Donaldson 2015 8.7

10. Cabrera 2013 8.6

11. Trout 2014 8.3

39. Trout 2017 6.9

So he's got four of the top six, five of eight, and six of eleven. Presumably Bellinger and Trout will kick Donaldson and Cabrera out of the top 10, so Trout will have six of the top ten.

Anyhow, other than Bonds, only Ripken (10.6 in 1991) and Morgan (11.0 in 1975) have had a 10.5 fWAR or higher in the last half century (1970 - present).