• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official TROUTstanding Thread

Chuck

Trout has 546 extra-base hits now, passing Joe DiMaggio for 5th place in the AL all-time in most XBH before age 28.

He will pass Gehrig (553) and possibly Griffey Jr (579) before his birthday on August 7th. 

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/angels-mike-trout-hits-20th-home-run-of-the-season-passes-joe-dimaggio-on-list-of-young-power-hitters/

OK, here's the scary thing. Trout has basically an identical OBP and SLG to last year's career bests:

2019: .461/.635

2018:. 460/.628

His batting average, however, is 16 points lower: .296 to .312. The difference seems to be a career low BABIP of .304, well below his career mark of .351 and last year's .346.

In other words, assuming his BABIP equalizes a bit and his power and plate discipline remain the  same, Trout's overall line should improve. My prediction for the year: .309/.471/.648, 42 HR, 10.7 fWAR, 193 wRC+.

As far as career fWAR, he's now at a nice even 70.0, which means on Fangraphs he's going to be at the bottom of the second page tomorrow (each page being 30 players) - tied with Rafael Palmeiro, and just ahead of Scott Rolen (69.8). That is significant considering that to start the year he was at the bottom of the third page, so has passed about 30 players just this year...meaning, he's passed one-third of the players ahead him in less than half a year.

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

As far as career fWAR, he's now at a nice even 70.0, which means on Fangraphs he's going to be at the bottom of the second page tomorrow (each page being 30 players) - tied with Rafael Palmeiro, and just ahead of Scott Rolen (69.8). That is significant considering that to start the year he was at the bottom of the third page, so has passed about 30 players just this year...meaning, he's passed one-third of the players ahead him in less than half a year.

only 100 WAR to go.  

looking at the list, the guy I was most surprised to see have more than 100 WAR?  Mike Schmidt.  

Also, I figured I'd have at least heard of the best players of all time regardless of generation.  And then the name Roger Connor popped up.  Played before the turn of the century for the Troy Trojans and New York Giants.  

Schmidt is generally considered to be the best third baseman of all time, with all due respect to Eddie Matthews, Wade Boggs, and George Brett. He was just so damn consistently great from 1974-87, 14 years in a row of 5+ fWAR.

As for Connor, he was a name that only lodged in my brain a year or two ago...I tend to think of Honus Wagner as the first all-time great, with everyone before being from a different era that is hard to consider the same game.