• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Gift That Keeps on Giving

Coulda, woulda, shoulda...

In all seriousness, I agree with you, but there's nothing we can do about it now. I only hope management learns from their mistakes and doesn't continue to trade away good, young talent.

Sometimes the young guys pan out, sometimes they don't....Haren trade, they have....Kazmir, not so much....Kazmir was a waste of money but the players haven't come back to haunt us...Greinke, we don't know yet but Segura looks very good so far....

Now if only he can pull off a 3 prospect for 1 player deal in our favor. As much as I don't want to see him go, don't be surprised to see him trade trumbo. Hopefully his stock rises to the point he could get some top talent since we won't be getting better through the draft....

Wait...are we blaming Dipoto for TAKING those guys from Reagins?

Gnar.

Both. The fact that he made his reputation on prospect for MLB players deals against us, and since joining us hasn't done the type of deal once. Although I wouldn't trade a Gatorade cooler for most of the players not named weaver or trout.

Both. The fact that he made his reputation on prospect for MLB players deals against us, and since joining us hasn't done the type of deal once. Although I wouldn't trade a Gatorade cooler for most of the players not named weaver or trout.

We're a win-now team with a lot of undesirable contracts.  Some people are really dim on this board it seems.  It's like infantile whining children that complain about being bored without putting in effort to actually think of something to do. 

How has Dipoto had a chance to deal good to elite, cost-controlled MLB players for top pitching prospects?  Give me even one scenario in his time here where this could have happened.  He made "MLB player for prospect deals" with the Dbacks because he was working for an entirely different organization and he had the luxury of being able to build for the future with little current expectations while giving up good MLB talent.  You even said yourself you "wouldn't trade a gatorade cooler" for any of our players, yet JD is supposed to find a way to get high upside starting pitching?  Get a grip.

This organization is going to need 5+ years to retool the farm and replenish our system, at least. 

Hes 6-0 1.52 ERA 1.07 WHIP 9.92 K/9 and absolutely crushing it for my fantasy team.

I did a huge sell off after winning my money 20 team keeper league last year.  I've now got Shelby Miller, Patrick Corbin, Tony Cingrani, Matt Harvey, Mike Minor, Alex Cobb and Brandon Morrow active, with Skaggs, Trevor Bauer, and Jose Fernandez on my farm team.   Traded away CC, Greinke, Trevor Cahill, Hudson Street, and King Felix, but was also able to acquire Harper, Addison Reed, and Jedd Gyorko in those deals.  I also got Anthony Rizzo straight up for Torii Hunter.  

My favorite deal was trading Kendrys for Trumbo to one of our resident Ms fans after talking up Morales all ST long.   This after trading Trumbo to him for Starlin Castro during the All Star Break last year.   Told him I felt bad after Trumbo had tanked so hard the second half, but that he would owe me on.   Dude won't even talk to me anymore.

He hasn't been in the position to do that... I'm critical of JD's moves as they relate to the depth on this team, but I think the guy has what it takes to turn this team around long term.  My only fear is that he lacks the nads to tell Arte to pound sand and let him build this team.   Arte and Angels fans may need to accept a year of losing, and losing ugly in order to right whats wrong with this organization.  Not sure the fans or the owner are willing or smart enough to accept that taking a step back may lead to taking two steps forward.

IMO, JD's job is harder now with Hamilton on the books.

Even though Skaggs was the bigger name the first year or two in this org, Corbin has always projected to being a decent/solid starter at the least.    As solid as these prospects were, and being lefties, was Haren going to TRULY be worth it?

While Haren's Ks/BBs was always solid, there was always something about him that people questioned.

Was it his W/L record?     Was it his poor 2nd halves until having a solid one in 2010?

Whatever the case, this was indeed the type of trade that a GM who is in over his head makes, trading a starter and two excellent lefty prospects for Haren.

Please JeDi, don't duplicate this mistake in the future. 

Trading Segura for a rental was bad enough.

Arte needs to STOP reading the 1980s Steinbrenner book, and read the one on the 1990s that included strong scouting and development (Jeter, B. Williams, Rivera, Posada, etc.) and not nearly as many trades/signings for veteran high priced guys.

A lot of the mid/late 1990s Skanks' acquisitions were moderately priced veterans who filled in what holes there were. 

just because we want to make a deal like that doesn't mean other teams want to help us out. it's not a one-way street, and you probably know that by now.

So we lost Corbin, Skaggs, and Segura, and Haren and Greinke are gone as well. 

Now we have nada.

This team wouldn't be that bad if we hadn't traded prospects. That said a lot of fans have been happy when these kinds of moves are made. At the same time these moves have benefited our team in past years.

Now if only he can pull off a 3 prospect for 1 player deal in our favor. As much as I don't want to see him go, don't be surprised to see him trade trumbo. Hopefully his stock rises to the point he could get some top talent since we won't be getting better through the draft....

It will be stupid to trade Trumbo before is arbitration years at least.

The biggest irony of the Haren trade is that most people...experts not just people on this board felt we fleeced the Dbacks in the trade when it first went down.  Now with hindsight it looks like we got fleeced.

It may go down as one of the worst trades in the franchise history.  We were out of the playoff race in 2010.  We didn't need to make the move.  We should have been sellers that year instead of buyers.  In the end we got two good years of Haren, but no playoffs and no depth.

The difference being of course that since he's been here (for just over a year), he's been trying to assemble a win now team, not a rebuild team.

So what youre saying is, why hasnt he just pulled the trigger on flipping Weaver for 2 AA pitchers and a back of the rotation pitcher?