• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Supreme Court decision of the day

10 hours ago, Bumpy Grimes said:

I used to be all for it, but then I learned that there are a lot of poor people who don't have IDs. Therefore, where voter ID is law, it needs to be easy and cheap for people to get IDs.

I have no idea what an ID costs but it should cost next to nothing to get one. It shouldn’t matter whether the state has voter ID laws or not

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

Why is it so problematic to make the effort to get a proper ID so you can participate in an election process? Just a little personal responsibility to protect your identity and voter rights and yet so much backlash. You have to think someone wants to keep exploiting the lack of accountability.

That's a nice and convenient thought, but it's not the case for everyone.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/courts_law/getting-a-photo-id-so-you-can-vote-is-easy-unless-youre-poor-black-latino-or-elderly/2016/05/23/8d5474ec-20f0-11e6-8690-f14ca9de2972_story.html?utm_term=.bae36e34bfcc

Supporters say that everyone should easily be able to get a photo ID and that the requirement is needed to combat voter fraud. But many election experts say that the process for obtaining a photo ID can be far more difficult than it looks for hundreds of thousands of people across the country who do not have the required photo identification cards. Those most likely to be affected are elderly citizens, African Americans, Hispanics and low-income residents.

“A lot of people don’t realize what it takes to obtain an ID without the proper identification and papers,” said Abbie Kamin, a lawyer who has worked with the Campaign Legal Center to help Texans obtain the proper identification to vote. “Many people will give up and not even bother trying to vote.”

A federal court in Texas found that 608,470 registered voters don’t have the forms of identification that the state now requires for voting. For example, residents can vote with their concealed-carry handgun licenses but not their state-issued student university IDs.

1 hour ago, Bumpy Grimes said:

Voter ID was a tactic created by Republicans to suppress Democratic votes. It has nothing to do with preserving the integrity of elections or preventing election fraud.

Context, motives and reality are irrelevant. All that matters are principles in a vacuum. Sorry, buddy: grandstanding without true solutions is important to a lot of people.

1 hour ago, Bumpy Grimes said:

Voter ID was a tactic created by Republicans to suppress Democratic votes. It has nothing to do with preserving the integrity of elections or preventing election fraud.

Are you saying only Democrats are affected by voter ID? 

3 hours ago, RallyMo said:

Context, motives and reality are irrelevant. All that matters are principles in a vacuum. Sorry, buddy: grandstanding without true solutions is important to a lot of people.

we know there is voter fraud.

we know there are people who are unable to get a gov't issued ID.

so what's your solution?

8 hours ago, Blarg said:

Why is it so problematic to make the effort to get a proper ID so you can participate in an election process? Just a little personal responsibility to protect your identity and voter rights and yet so much backlash. You have to think someone wants to keep exploiting the lack of accountability.

This.
It costs 10 bucks in CA i think last i checked, hardly prohibitive for anyone. 
I personally would be fine with it being free to be rid of this argument but that wont happen something has to support the DMV, lol 
Its a disingenuous argument in my view.
The concept is simple, one vote, one person... if i have  to show id to buy a damn taco doing to it vote is the biggest nothing burger in the history of nothing burgers.

3 minutes ago, floplag said:

This.
It costs 10 bucks in CA i think last i checked, hardly prohibitive for anyone. 
I personally would be fine with it being free to be rid of this argument but that wont happen something has to support the DMV, lol 
Its a disingenuous argument in my view.
The concept is simple, one vote, one person... if i have  to show id to buy a damn taco doing to it vote is the biggest nothing burger in the history of nothing burgers.

Welcome to the discussion. Please read the subsequent posts which disprove the idea that obtaining an ID is simple and cheap for everyone.

Just now, Bumpy Grimes said:

Welcome to the discussion. Please read the subsequent posts which disprove the idea that obtaining an ID is simple and cheap for everyone.

Only it doesnt.   IF one really wants to vote, its not hard at all.   This is a copout as far as im concerned.

Answer me this though, how does a person get thru life without some form of id?  Freaking Taco Bell asks for ID FFS.  Considering how many times daily i need ID to function i find the whole argument comical.    Somehow, somehow, you need id... even if you cant drive and are on assistance you have to have id to pick up the debit card and use it.

Ive already said i would support providing ID for free to lower incomes but at some point they are going to need to sit their arse at the DMV like the rest of us... nooes going to do it for them so if that constitutes hardship im not buying it. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/1/2019 at 10:56 AM, Taylor said:

Why would Taco Bell ask for your ID? 

Did you read the article I posted?

To use my bank card.  I read yours ive read many on the subject, by and large i think the idea that id is prohibitive is nonsense.  If someone truly cannot afford an id then im all for issuing them for free in such cases.  But the idea thats its racist or some other partisan take is bullshit in my view. 

2 hours ago, Schildog said:

Believe it or not, taco bell accepts cash as payment. It's absolutely bonkers when you think about it.

While true, it has nothing to do with anything considering even assistance programs now the equivalent of bank cards for those using the services to spend from, not cash or coupons. 

1 hour ago, floplag said:

yes taco bell now serves liquor... FFS guys its simple, if i have to have an id for such mundane things, then expecting to have it to vote is a giant nothing 

Why should we trust you about this when you're a self-admitted Taco Bell alcoholic?