• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

LA area Restaurant suggestions

Friends of mine (from NJ)will be staying in the Santa Monica area for the week of July 4th. They asked me for suggestions on unique restaurants and things to do for the holiday week. They are an active family of four with two teenage boys, and not into the amusement parks. 

Thanks!

Father's Office.  Somewhere in the area.  Although I didn't get the hype.  But the people who take pictures of their food think it's the tits.  Only good thing is.  It's away from the touristy area.  A good walk, but walkable from the main Santa Monica traps. 

Depending on their likes.  Getty is up the street.  Not sure the teenagers will like it, but the adults would.  And the restaurant is nice there.  

Venice would probably be a good trip.  Would suggest to take a rideshare there, since parking skus.  Might even be able to do a long walk to it, since it's just one over from the Santa Monica Pier.  

Not sure on what active is.  But if hiking.  Griffith park/Hollywood sign.  My area would be San Gabriel East Fork River.  Bridge to Nowhere.  Tunnels to Nowhere.  Some of the mines up there.  San Gabriel Peak gives a great view of the LA Basin.  I'm even thinking of doing that hike on the 4th to see all the illegals fly over LA.  

9 hours ago, Tank said:

all kidding aside, if they're willing to drive over to glendale, this is a mexican place that's really good and the locals love it. it's called señor fish.

http://www.señorfish.com

Santa Monica to Glendale.  For a taco.

Did the New Jersians specifically ask to get a full helping of Los Angeles traffic?  Its an hour each way.  Two hours each if they take public transit.

If they need fish tacos, click on this

https://www.google.com/search?q=fish+tacos+santa+monica&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS721US721&oq=fish+tacos+san&aqs=chrome.1.0l2j69i57j0l3.4975j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

2 hours ago, Adam said:

I couldn't visit LA without going to Philippe and Roscoe's

Last time I went to Philippe's it was a bummer, the time before that kind of mediocre, too. Kind of bums me out because it was a staple every time I went to LA.

Speaking of the topic, went to a hole in the wall Mexican joint on the corner of Pico and La Brea on Friday....pretty much ordered in Spanish, so you know it's legit. Think the place was called Lucy's. It's not formal and starts to creep into the hood, but on the westside closer to Santa Monica and Beverly Hills. Not too out of the way, but you can find good Mexican food in a lot of places in LA without traveling too far. 

What are they into food wise? Are they interested in bouncing around and cool with paying parking everywhere they go? Or do they prefer to Uber everywhere from Santa Monica? There's a bunch of cool spots in Hollywood and LA that are an Uber drive away opposed to paying for parking everywhere.

9 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Last time I went to Philippe's it was a bummer, the time before that kind of mediocre, too. Kind of bums me out because it was a staple every time I went to LA.

Speaking of the topic, went to a hole in the wall Mexican joint on the corner of Pico and La Brea on Friday....pretty much ordered in Spanish, so you know it's legit. Think the place was called Lucy's. It's not formal and starts to creep into the hood, but on the westside closer to Santa Monica and Beverly Hills. Not too out of the way, but you can find good Mexican food in a lot of places in LA without traveling too far. 

I'm with you on Phillippe's.  Nothing sticks out about it.  Just seems average.  Roscoe's I've had twice.  At the Hollywood one and the Pico one.  It's also just ok IMO.  Langer's I've never been disappointed with.  Although their sandwiches are expensive.  

@BrandonIf you are in the area, and can find parking.  You should try Leo's food truck in the Sinclair gas station on La Brea and Venice.  Place is always packed.  Serves kind of the street taco's of King Taco type.  I think it's like $1.50 a taco, but I usually get the burrito.  Actually not sure why they are packed, and the food truck across the street is always empty.  It's just a typical street taco.  

21 minutes ago, Brandon said:

What are they into food wise? Are they interested in bouncing around and cool with paying parking everywhere they go? Or do they prefer to Uber everywhere from Santa Monica? There's a bunch of cool spots in Hollywood and LA that are an Uber drive away opposed to paying for parking everywhere.

Fitness nuts, but they go off the reservation when on vacation. First time in the area for all but the father who was there for business once.

They asked my advice since I have visited the reqion multiple times, but never stayed in the LA/Santa Monica area. They are just looking for memorable, unusual, non-cookie cutter places.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

You need a subscription to get the full 101 and the top 10 they let you view are a bit too uppity....although Spago wasn't too bad.

of course the restaurants are 'uppity'...it's from a food critic. Though I would surmise if Halo's friends have enough cash to hang out in Santa Monica they are probably snobby richie richie types who don't mind dropping 4-5 hundred for a small tasting menu.

(side note...we've hit some of the "lower ranked" items on the list over the years that aren't as high priced...holy crap batman there have been some good ones.

Since they are fitness nuts.  This might interest them.

M*A*S*H Hike in Malibu Creek State Park

I've never done it, but it's supposed to be an easy hike, and one that I do want to do just to see the Mash area.  And I've only been there to drink.  But Sagebrush Cantina is near where you would get off on the 101 if they did do that hike.  

4 hours ago, yk9001 said:

Santa Monica to Glendale.  For a taco.

Did the New Jersians specifically ask to get a full helping of Los Angeles traffic?  Its an hour each way.  Two hours each if they take public transit.

If they need fish tacos, click on this

https://www.google.com/search?q=fish+tacos+santa+monica&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS721US721&oq=fish+tacos+san&aqs=chrome.1.0l2j69i57j0l3.4975j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

at this point in time, you and i know the same amount of info on how much of LA they want to see. mine is farther away but it could a place that interests them, mr. smarty pants.

13 hours ago, Blarg said:

Let's see, staying in Santa Monica where the weather is pleasant and the beach at their doorstep and you want them to squander a day of driving in traffic to go to Glendale for Fish Tacos made by an Armenian?  No.

Roll up the coast through the Palisades to Malibu and hit up the ever classic Dukes. 

no armenians at senor taco unless they're there having the lunch special.

is dukes in malibu reasonably priced? it already sounds about 3x as expensive as my place. budget may be a concern for his friends.