• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

A Salty Take on Albert Pujols

Chuck

11 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Yea, we have had Albert for 7 years though so it's completely understandable. 

Sure.  You’d think we’d get over it.  He is expensive and that money can be used elsewhere, I completely get it.  This year, we have five much bigger problems than Albert, especially when you consider losing Albert doesn’t lose his financial commitment.  

51 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

If Scioscia gets his extension, which is likely, you should expect to see Albert batting cleanup next year. 

I hope we get to the playoffs before I'm 90. I'm not counting on it though.

I really dont see Scioscia getting an extension.  If they wanted him back they would have offered to him already.  

36 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

Sure.  You’d think we’d get over it.  He is expensive and that money can be used elsewhere, I completely get it.  This year, we have five much bigger problems than Albert, especially when you consider losing Albert doesn’t lose his financial commitment.  

But can’t they convince him to retire and pay out that remaining  money over a longer period, and thus free up immediate tax threshold space?

9 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

But can’t they convince him to retire and pay out that remaining  money over a longer period, and thus free up immediate tax threshold space?

None of us know whether they can or not or whether they’ve had discussions or not.   I’m of the belief that guys like Eppler are WELL aware of everything we’re aware of.   

13 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Pujols' 2018 OBP is now exactly the same as his 2017 number, .286

Any manager with a shred of reason would have him in the #6 spot in the lineup, at best.

Another nice stat that points to his continuing decline: 3/1 SO/BB ratio.

I agree, he’s the 6th best hitter on the team if Ohtani is playing and if Cozart is better.  

18 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Maybe the fat man is trying to get fired? He might be tired of making the trip from Westlake to anaheim after all these years. That's a long drive

Don’t let Scioscia’s office fool you. He spends a lot of time in Anaheim. 

5D6CAF01-EF80-4AD5-A8EF-61399B62E4D9.gif

4 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

It would be good for you if he were let go. You'd have more free time not having to defend him here constantly.

Let me know when I defend him against unreasonable situations.  I have already said I am more than willing to let him go at the end of the season.  I am looking forward to who the next bad guy is.  But I defend him against things like, “why does he play these guys” or “why didn’t he challenge that” or “why did he pull that pitcher at 95 pitches when the pitcher told him he was out of gas”.  I don’t defend him against things like, “why is Albert batting fourth”.  I am sure you can see the difference FS and you and I are on opposite ends of the spectrum.  By the way more times than not when I “defend” him about something, the discussion inevitably changes to “well he hasn’t won in 8 years”, as opposed to what happened in the game we were talking about.  

8 hours ago, Lou said:

You honestly think Thaiss is ready to be an everyday player in the majors?  A year ago he was in Single A. As of today, he's only played 7 games in AAA. 

I think there’s a good chance he could out-perform Pujols right now. That said, I’d rather keep him in Salt Lake for another month or two and give Fernandez a shot, who I do feel confident would outperform Pujols.

55 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I think there’s a good chance he could out-perform Pujols right now. That said, I’d rather keep him in Salt Lake for another month or two and give Fernandez a shot, who I do feel confident would outperform Pujols.

At the very least, outperform Valnobuena while playing 3 INF positions potentially. 

2 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

It would be good for you if he were let go. You'd have more free time not having to defend him here constantly.

Think of all the posters who would completely disappear from AW.

Chuck may have to close down the site. 

I think there's a role for Pujols for the next three plus years -- he's still a solid hitter and has put up some decent stats during his Halos career (yeah, I've seen the OPS and the postings about that stat that indicates he's the least effective player for his team in MLB over the past number of years).......but it's the batting fourth and killing potential rallies started by Trout with GIDP -- and let's face it -- every time Pujols is up with a guy on first and less than two out -- there's an even chance he's going to hit into a GIDP. If the ball is on the ground -- they're getting him at first every time. Perhaps Trout or someone else takes off and beats the throw to second (or better yet creates a 'no throw' situation).  Put some pop in the lower half of the line up and let Pujols swing away - if he gets on -- Pinch Run with Ohtani.

2 minutes ago, disarcina said:

I think there's a role for Pujols for the next three plus years -- he's still a solid hitter and has put up some decent stats during his Halos career (yeah, I've seen the OPS and the postings about that stat that indicates he's the least effective player for his team in MLB over the past number of years).......but it's the batting fourth and killing potential rallies started by Trout with GIDP -- and let's face it -- every time Pujols is up with a guy on first and less than two out -- there's an even chance he's going to hit into a GIDP. If the ball is on the ground -- they're getting him at first every time. Perhaps Trout or someone else takes off and beats the throw to second (or better yet creates a 'no throw' situation).  Put some pop in the lower half of the line up and let Pujols swing away - if he gets on -- Pinch Run with Ohtani.

An OPS of .709 is horrible. And yes, that is including his once in a lifetime 3 for 3 game tonight against the Tigers. He's horrible, just stealing money from the Angels.

5 minutes ago, JustATroutFan said:

An OPS of .709 is horrible. And yes, that is including his once in a lifetime 3 for 3 game tonight against the Tigers. He's horrible, just stealing money from the Angels.

Oh shut the hell up.  Once in a life time?   I completely realize he’s no longer good, but you sound like a complete idiot when you say stuff like this about a guy with 3000 hits and 600 home runs.   

4 hours ago, The Boogie Man said:

Let me know when I defend him against unreasonable situations.  I have already said I am more than willing to let him go at the end of the season.  I am looking forward to who the next bad guy is.  But I defend him against things like, “why does he play these guys” or “why didn’t he challenge that” or “why did he pull that pitcher at 95 pitches when the pitcher told him he was out of gas”.  I don’t defend him against things like, “why is Albert batting fourth”.  I am sure you can see the difference FS and you and I are on opposite ends of the spectrum.  By the way more times than not when I “defend” him about something, the discussion inevitably changes to “well he hasn’t won in 8 years”, as opposed to what happened in the game we were talking about.  

I think the point that he hasn't won in the postseason in eight years is a pertinent one, and a big part of the discussion of his overall worth as a manager.

We have the World Series win which was 15+ years ago, several very disappointing postseason meltdowns, one nice sweep of Boston in 2009, and a first-round collapse in 2014. Not much more.

If he gets an extension and we miss the playoffs for another few years, at what point does he share some blame? Or is it all on the GM and owner? Nineteen years is long enough. Time for a change.

Edited by fan_since79

4 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

I think the point that he hasn't won in the postseason in eight years is a pertinent one, and a big part of the discussion of his overall worth as a manager.

We have the World Series win which was 15+ years ago, several very disappointing postseason meltdowns, one nice sweep of Boston in 2009, and a first-round collapse in 2014. Not much more.

If he gets an extension and we miss the playoffs for another few years, at what point does he share some blame? Or is it all on the GM and owner? Nineteen years is long enough. Time for a change.

He shares the blame always.  And yes no post season post season wins is part of his worth equation.  But, when discussing the last few years he simply has had bad incomplete teams.