• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

A Salty Take on Albert Pujols

Chuck

There is literally zero chance the Angels dump Pujols, especially mid-season. We also probably own't see a Mystery Injury DL trip, as at this point I think it is clear to everyone that he's just not that good anymore and no amount of R&R is going to fix him.

What is more likely to happen is that he is gradually phased out.  With Thaiss have a breakout season in the minors and now killing AAA pitching, he's going to be forcing the issue. I could see Pujols remaining contract going something like this:

2018, first half: As is.

2018, second half: gradually losing PA to Fernandez, Thaiss. 140 games.

2019: platoon with Ohtani at DH, occasional start at 1B, pinch hitter. 120 games.

2020: As above, slightly reduced. 100 games.

2021: Honorary bench spot, occasional start. AKA, put out to pasture. 60 games.

The above preserves his dignity, keeps team cohesion and clubhouse chemistry (Trout likes Pujols), and he's only really a totally wasted roster spot in 2021.

4 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

How many of their starters are better than ours

It's about who we could have instead of Pujols. We need a left handed bat in the middle of the lineup to compete. They either need to sign one this offseason or commit to Thaiss. 

Despite what you think, I am not blaming this whole situation on Scioscia. 

Arte and Eppler need to sit down and discuss that Pujols needs to be replaced after the season and someone better brought in

2 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

It's about who we could have instead of Pujols. We need a left handed bat in the middle of the lineup to compete. They either need to sign one this offseason or commit to Thaiss. 

Arte and Eppler need to sit down and discuss that Pujols needs to be replaced after the season and someone better brought in

Sorry I mixed threads, I was commenting on you saying the Tigers are a better team.  Sorry.

1 hour ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

Albert Pujols is still a clutch, professional hitter who can hit elite pitching. Whether it is mental or physical, he has lost his consistency. He is best used as a pinch hitter. Especially in situations where double plays are not likely. Don't bring him in expecting him to hit a home run, but to drive in runs with good situational hitting.

A lot of people are going to disagree with that. Who's the elite pitcher(s) that he can hit?

14 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

There is literally zero chance the Angels dump Pujols, especially mid-season. We also probably own't see a Mystery Injury DL trip, as at this point I think it is clear to everyone that he's just not that good anymore and no amount of R&R is going to fix him.

What is more likely to happen is that he is gradually phased out.  With Thaiss have a breakout season in the minors and now killing AAA pitching, he's going to be forcing the issue. I could see Pujols remaining contract going something like this:

2018, first half: As is.

2018, second half: gradually losing PA to Fernandez, Thaiss. 140 games.

2019: platoon with Ohtani at DH, occasional start at 1B, pinch hitter. 120 games.

2020: As above, slightly reduced. 100 games.

2021: Honorary bench spot, occasional start. AKA, put out to pasture. 60 games.

The above preserves his dignity, keeps team cohesion and clubhouse chemistry (Trout likes Pujols), and he's only really a totally wasted roster spot in 2021.

I appreciate the phase out process, but all things considered, I think we let him play out the year, then consider moving on in the offseason.  Eppler inherited Pujols, and while I know Arte weighs in on the matter, I think Arte trusts Eppler to do his job, and if Eppler tells him it's time to move on, then perhaps that is the direction we go in.  

I would like to see some of our kids start to get promoted and sprinkled into games.  We are falling further out of the WC spot, and realistically, this team probably isn't a WS contender this year anyway.  Give Fletcher, Thaiss, JMF a chance to at least show if they are part of our future.  Perhaps 150 or so ABs would be a nice trial run and exposure for them.  Next year, IMO, is the year we become a legitimate contender for the title.

Warfarin, I basically agree with you but just don't think it is going to happen. My phase out process is a prediction, btw, not what I want to happen.

What I want to happen is for him to really only be Ohtani's platoon partner, and Fernandez called up to take most of his PA. Then when Thaiss is ready--hopefully another month or two--Albert sits on the bench. Maybe he gets that honorary bench spot next year, but I'd like to see him done as a full-time starter right now.

14 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

I agree that it’s about what his replacement will do.   Right now I’d choose Albert over Valbuena or Marte, that’s how little faith I have in those two.  

15 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Warfarin, I basically agree with you but just don't think it is going to happen. My phase out process is a prediction, btw, not what I want to happen.

What I want to happen is for him to really only be Ohtani's platoon partner, and Fernandez called up to take most of his PA. Then when Thaiss is ready--hopefully another month or two--Albert sits on the bench. Maybe he gets that honorary bench spot next year, but I'd like to see him done as a full-time starter right now.

Maybe we can throw Albert a big ol' party and commemorate his awesomeness and badassity, and he'll agree to medically retire and let us move on with our lives, lol.

In all seriousness though, I mean right now, it probably doesn't really matter this season.  As has been pointed out, we have so many guys who are dead weight right now that even having Albert magically go away right now won't solve our problems.  I do really hope we start to see a phasing-in process of our kids though this year, to set the stage for our vaulting into contention next year.  Fletcher, JMF, Thaiss, maybe Ward later this year if he hits well in AAA, perhaps Suarez and Canning in September, etc..

If the kids get promoted and look like they can hold the fort, then we do the following:

Let our "veteran" players go starting during the season and moving on through the offseason (Valbuena, Kinsler, Pujols, GRich).  Keep Calhoun as at the 4th OF for now (no one will trade for him), knowing he provides elite defense and maybe see if he can hit at all next year (if not, move on).  Spend $$ on a catcher (Maldonado or Grandal), a reliever (Herrera?), and if the stars align, a star-level player (Harper or Machado).  Our team should be significantly better AND younger moving forward, and I'd feel confident that team can be a legitimate title threat.

Pipe dream.  Why is it so difficult to accept that Pujols is going to be playing for the Angels for another 3 1/2 years? Angels just need to win in spite of his presence. I also don't understand the constant bitching about him hitting clean up. As long as Scioscia is here, he's gonna hit no lower than cleanup. Also, why can't you just accept that Arte is not going just simply release Pujols? He's Latin and Arte is Latin so I'm pretty sure he's going to do whatever Pujols wants. Albert is incredibly delusional and Arte believes every word.

Our owner has made some huge boneheaded decisions.  The sooner you just accept that Albert will be here for another three and a half years, the sooner you can start trying to enjoy all the other players the Angel's have. Yes, Albert is owed a lot of money. Yes, Albert stinks.  We will just have to hope all the other guys can pick up his slack. It's really that simple.