• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Royals, open for business

8 minutes ago, Dave Saltzer said:

Tim Mead said emphatically at Spring Training that the rumored offer never happened.

Doesn't mean Moustakas isn't a good fit for this offense. Having a left handed Power hitter hit between Upton and Pujols would be great.

1) Cozart

2) Trout

3) Upton

4) Moustakas

5) Pujols

6) Ohtani

7) Simmons

8- Calhoun/Hermosillo/Young

9) Maldonado

Moose and Squirrel (err Herrera) sounds nice.

Moose certainly would help out a true weakness here (lack of solid LHH's outside of Ohtani), and is decent defensively.

Herrera would also solve the almost total lack of a closer on this team, Parker the only one looking anything like one currently.   

Question is, when is the optimum time to acquire them, from a team needs and from a farm giving up perspective?

Do they really need Kennedy though?    The Halos have the 6 current starters, plus Canning and Suarez on their way.

With the aggressive promotions and development we're seeing on the farm, I think it's becoming increasingly unlikely we trade from the farm for anything high-impact. 

Really starting to think Eppler sees most of our Top 30 as the reinforcements the MLB team needs, even if it means waiting until 2019-2020 for that to start taking root.

2 hours ago, VariousCrap said:

As far as I'm concerned Mous is a must for the Angels.  It they have to wait until July for his price to come down a bit, that is fine, but the Angels need to get him.

My offseason hopes last year were him and hernandez for 2B. That would have been a lot better fit than what we have currently. 

Moustakas has some warts, but hes still a pretty good fit. Cant give up too much though with his upcoming FA.

1 minute ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I’m not a huge Moustakas guy, but he is better then what we have.  And he can probably be had cheaply.  We are entering a window with Trout, Upton, and Simmons.  We can’t have these massive holes.  We have to have league average at least in most places.  Cozarts shit numbers play at 2b.  They do not at 3rd.  

And hey, hopefully Cozart gets going. 

50 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I’m not a huge Moustakas guy, but he is better then what we have.  And he can probably be had cheaply.  We are entering a window with Trout, Upton, and Simmons.  We can’t have these massive holes.  We have to have league average at least in most places.  Cozarts shit numbers play at 2b.  They do not at 3rd.  

And hey, hopefully Cozart gets going. 

I should have wrote with that, im not against us getting moustakas. Id be excited if i read on here we got him and dump kinsler. I just always think of that scene when people call him moose.

And i just like that scene...so any reference to a moose of any kind i was gonna use it.

Its taken years....so thank you.

3 minutes ago, wopphil said:

I don't think Moose will be as cheap as some of you may think. Not only is he producing, his contract is peanuts. 

While this is true, he is basically guaranteed to opt out, making him a 2 month rental.  Moreover, just about all other contenders are set at 3B, and Machado is on the market too, possibly even Donaldson.  Multiple 3B sellers + virtually no buyers = buyers market.  We should be able to get Moose very cheaply, if we are so inclined.

6 hours ago, Hubs said:

Doesn't mean Moustakas isn't a good fit for this offense. Having a left handed Power hitter hit between Upton and Pujols would be great.

1) Cozart

2) Trout

3) Upton

4) Moustakas

5) Pujols

6) Ohtani

7) Simmons

8- Calhoun/Hermosillo/Young

9) Maldonado

Ideally, I'd do this:

Cozart, Trout, Ohtani, Upton, Moose, Pujols, Simmons, Blash or Hermosillo, Maldonado

That way we go R/L/R/L/R in the core of the order and we pair up the speedy power hitters (Trout + Ohtani).

2 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

While this is true, he is basically guaranteed to opt out, making him a 2 month rental.  Moreover, just about all other contenders are set at 3B, and Machado is on the market too, possibly even Donaldson.  Multiple 3B sellers + virtually no buyers = buyers market.  We should be able to get Moose very cheaply, if we are so inclined.

Then get Machado for Calhoun. Maybe throw in Cam if you have to. 

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

Sadly, we are at the point where the last guy on the Burlington Bees bench > Calhoun in terms of value.  :(

You're the polar opposite of Scotty, always undervaluing our guys. Calhoun should be enough, I was just being nice including Cam. 

18 minutes ago, wopphil said:

I don't think Moose will be as cheap as some of you may think. Not only is he producing, his contract is peanuts. 

Ya but it’s only one year.  He’s a rental player and a 3B.  Few teams need him. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

2 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Lets say the angels are targeting machado...do you still trade for moose and give up something to try and salvage this year? 

My vote would be dependent on what you give up. If it's not a top 15 prospect, sure. If it costs more than that, I think you see if the cost for trading for Machado is even semi reasonable so you get a few months to show him what playing with Trout, Ohtani and Upton feels like to increase odds he re-signs.

10 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Lets say the angels are targeting machado...do you still trade for moose and give up something to try and salvage this year? 

It depends on our position in the standings, the cost required, and how Kinsler is doing.  Assuming we are in the thick of the playoff hunt, and assuming Kinsler still can't hit at all, then yes.  The cost should be quite low to acquire him.

I honestly don't think we'll be a legitimate player for Machado in the offseason. 

With Moustakas (Boras) mis-calculating his FA value this past off-season, the result was that he crawled back to KC with a one year deal with option for much less than he was offered.

What this means is that KC really has no incentive or need to trade away Moustakas for peanuts. It's not a deadline or bust situation. KC holds the cards here. If they can get some top pitching prospects for a team that needs a slugging 3B the second half of the season, GREAT. If not, OK -- they have a relatively inexpensive Moustakas for another year and then in 2019 might be is a deadline deal or bust situation with him -- but not this year.

Herrera is a different situation-- he's a back of the pen late inning guy who KC can dangle in front of contenders and demand top near MLB-ready prospects. Herrera could really help some team (like the Angels) down the stretch and in the playoffs.

Other KC starting pitchers not so much -- Duffy signed a big off-season deal through 2021 or something like that and has had some issues since - his last five starts have been stat nightmares. Arm strength an issue........Kennedy - a well traveled vet -- more likely to stay in KC and eat innings.

Merrifield -- there's a guy who could help several teams down the stretch. KC would want some decent prospect(s) for him.

The guy I would want to pry away from KC (and we have Martin Maldonado so no real need for us) is Salvador Perez.  He signed some long term deal with KC -- but if they want to shed payroll - dealing him would do it. Sal Perez IMO is the kind of player you grab if you can. He's a guy you can build a team around.  Imagine Trout, Ohtani, A. Simmons and Perez in the same line up -- that's a pretty solid core.  We don't have much of a farm but would have to give up a lot to give a player like Perez.