• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Royals, open for business

Per Heyman on Twitter, word is that the Royals are letting people know they are getting ready to sell. 
Considering Kinsler's performance of late and the impending end of contract i could easily see us acquiring Mous and shifting Cozart over as i suspect is the plan for next year anyway.
They have a number of interesting targets, Soler, Herrerra etc.. 
I suspect it would cost to get the latter on that list more than some here might want to pay. 

3 minutes ago, failos said:

Mike Moustakas is an idiot for turning down the Angels in the off-season.

Having him play 3rd would solve so many problems. Cozart can play 2nd base.

Assuming that rumor is true, who knows.  
We have an open spot, thats obvious, Kinsler on a one year deal and struggling, easy enough to eat if we wanted to.  And i cant see them asking too much as he walks at years end anyway so if we assumed the money it shouldnt be all that i dont think. 
Id try to get a package if im opening up the farm parts

Moose should be dirt cheap.  A lot of contenders are set at 3B.  Machado is also available, Donaldson might be too.  Lots of sellers + very few buyers = buyers market.  Maybe we can get Moose for a modest relief prospect.

Herrera will cost more, given that he's a reliever and all contenders could use an extra shutdown reliever.

I looked at details of the JD Martinez trade and players who are free agents aren't getting a major return. Martinez was having a good year in Detroit, prior to the trade, and he was having a great year in Arizona. The #4 prospect in the D'Backs system, at the time, Dawel Lugo, and two low level minor leaguers with potential.

For us this is is like Fletcher and some guys from Burlington?

45 minutes ago, failos said:

Mike Moustakas is an idiot for turning down the Angels in the off-season.

Having him play 3rd would solve so many problems. Cozart can play 2nd base.

Didn’t the Angels say they didn’t make an offer for him 

3 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Didn’t the Angels say they didn’t make an offer for him 

I don't know. All I know is that the Angels may have offered him a 3 year $45M contract. Boras the Bullshitter denied it and said Moustakas is worth $60M+ 

It doesn't really seem far fetched, but if Eppler denied then that's that.

Moustakas actually has a Mutual option for next year at $15M. There is a $1M buyout.

I like acquiring him and moving Cozart to 2nd base.

Kinsler (Or Calhoun) may go back in the trade if we agreed to take on Ian Kennedy's contract. Yes we're taking on money, but getting a warm body to start for the next three years.

Granted, Duffy's been worse than Kennedy, this year. And Duffy has velocity issues. Kennedy had a good start going with a 2.92 ERA through his first 7 starts this year, but it has ballooned up to a 5.30 ERA after giving up a total of 19 ER in his last three. The Angels have always liked Kennedy.

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

I looked at details of the JD Martinez trade and players who are free agents aren't getting a major return. Martinez was having a good year in Detroit, prior to the trade, and he was having a great year in Arizona. The #4 prospect in the D'Backs system, at the time, Dawel Lugo, and two low level minor leaguers with potential.

For us this is is like Fletcher and some guys from Burlington?

Everyone kept underselling JD - even up until he signed with Boston. He's worth more than what they dealt him for. His price tag will wind up more an outlier than what was perceived value.

Mous and Herrera at this time of year will cost at least one Top 10, possibly (unlikely) two, and at least another prospect that'd be a little tough to lose - someone like Fletcher, Jewell, Castillo - who may not be a top prospect but someone who'd have more usefulness to us than the value he'd be offering in that trade.

I still think it's just a bit too early. A lot can change by mid-June. We may have different needs, different players may be available, different prospects we feel comfortable parting with (especially after the draft), and I don't think it's worth risking paying too much now.

I like the concept of lessening the price by adding Kennedy and/or swapping Calhoun's contract.

Duffy has been worse but there's a lot of talent and I think he's on a team-friendly deal now. He's had some morale issues and a DUI? I think which may be affecting his performance some too. 

For me, if KC was asking for a top talent prospect, I'd hold out and try and leverage that interest to get an extra piece out of them - Duffy, Junis, or another reliever. Give them a better package later in the year for rentals Mous (who we'd be likely to resign) and Herrera while still securing a long-term piece in the deal as well.

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

Yep.  We definitely should wait until the trading deadline.  Can't become a desperate buyer.

disagree. our play has been spotty at best. it's worth calling the royals to see what the asking price is for whoever interests them, and proceed accordingly. if that means a deal is better done now, pull the trigger if the cost is reasonable. if it's best to wait and no one else swoops in on the players you want, no problem with waiting.

the tough part is deciding when the time is right.

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

I like the concept of lessening the price by adding Kennedy and/or swapping Calhoun's contract.

Duffy has been worse but there's a lot of talent and I think he's on a team-friendly deal now. He's had some morale issues and a DUI? I think which may be affecting his performance some too. 

For me, if KC was asking for a top talent prospect, I'd hold out and try and leverage that interest to get an extra piece out of them - Duffy, Junis, or another reliever. Give them a better package later in the year for rentals Mous (who we'd be likely to resign) and Herrera while still securing a long-term piece in the deal as well.

Herrera is not the only bullpen piece they have that's attractive. Most of the others are under club control for a long time, so they have little incentive to move them.

Duffy is owed $46 M through 2021 (after this year's salary), and has had velocity issues this year. Which may mean elbow trouble. He's also oft injured.

Kennedy is owed $33M through 2020 (after this year's salary), if they took Calhoun, they'd be taking on $20M in contracts in exchange for the $60+M owed to Kennedy, Herrera, and Moustakas, so they'd basically be able to clear their books.

Then it would take very little in prospects, like maybe one top ten and one top 10-20 guy, plus Calhoun for Moustakas and Kennedy. Adding in Herrera makes the prospect load be a little more, maybe another top 20 guy.