• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ohtani's next start will be pushed back due to "workload management"

Another theory, I was talking to Eppler about all the minor league promotions and he pointed out that the season is about it’s 1/3 point, so that tells me that they use that as a milepost for taking stock, so to speak. 

It could just be that they decided Ohtani was going to skip 2 starts this year, at 1/3 and 2/3. 

I don’t think the hitting stuff was a primary reason, but if they were deciding between this start and next weekend, against Texas, maybe they figured his bat more helpful now. 

Yankee Stadium is the most left handed hitter friendly park in baseball so it would make a lot of sense.

I know it probably won't happen this year, but getting Ohtani to a point where he hits the day before and after his starts would significantly help the team, as long as Ohtani can take it.

12 minutes ago, nate said:

Yankee Stadium is the most left handed hitter friendly park in baseball so it would make a lot of sense.

I know it probably won't happen this year, but getting Ohtani to a point where he hits the day before and after his starts would significantly help the team, as long as Ohtani can take it.

I think I read somewhere that they will reassess that later in the season.  Once again, I think this will be much like the scheduled day off type of thing, where they will decide in advance if he will pitch the day before he pitches or the day after so he can be mentally prepared.  So we may see a bad loss on a Friday, Ohtani sit on Saturday, then Ohtani pitch on Sunday and hit on Monday.  Which from a fans point of view would seem backwards, but it is only backwards because fans think these decisions happen game day and not in advance.

I think you’re more likely to see them loosen the day after requirements before they loosen the day before. 

If he’s hitting the day before he is starting and gets hurt, you’re screwed for a pitcher the next day. If it happens the day after, you have time to figure it out. 

But I wouldn’t be surprised if none of that happens this year. 

5 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I think you’re more likely to see them loosen the day after requirements before they loosen the day before. 

If he’s hitting the day before he is starting and gets hurt, you’re screwed for a pitcher the next day. If it happens the day after, you have time to figure it out. 

But I wouldn’t be surprised if none of that happens this year. 

Ok but if you’re worried about him getting injured. He’s just as likely to get hurt two days before he pitches than a day before he pitches 

1 minute ago, Kevinb said:

Ok but if you’re worried about him getting injured. He’s just as likely to get hurt two days before he pitches than a day before he pitches 

Kevin, you really need to work on your reading comprehension.  He doesn’t bat the day before because he pitches the next day, it is a rest day.  

2 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

Kevin, you really need to work on your reading comprehension.  He doesn’t bat the day before because he pitches the next day, it is a rest day.  

Strad, you don't seem to understand what he's saying and in turn look foolish yourself per your comment. He's saying hes just as likely to get hurt 2 days before he pitches rather than just the day preceding a start in which he doesn't play.

6 hours ago, Kevinb said:

I get it. But he’s a dh it’s not like he’s playing catcher behind the plate or short stop and running all over the place. He bats 4 times a game. I think the guy has been incredible and did not think he would put up these numbers this soon. But don’t give me this he bats 4 games. NL pitchers hit 3 times a game on days they pitch. 

Most pitchers pitch once a week but on 5 days rest he’s getting an extra day of rest longer. He’s on pace for 130 or so innings pitched for the season give or take. I feel more confident having him pitch against the Yankees and winning than I do our other starters.  I’m just bummed I don’t get to see it sunday would of been fun 

until you've been a major league manager who's dealt specifically with this kind of situation, please stop complaining.

really, these constant rants in this thread about how he's being used don't make you look very good.

1 minute ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Strad, you don't seem to understand what he's saying and in turn look foolish yourself per your comment. He's saying hes just as likely to get hurt 2 days before he pitches rather than just the day preceding a start in which he doesn't play.

Yes, I know that.  But Jeff was comparatively speaking between hitting the day before or the day after that he would more likely hit the day after because of injury risk and being screwed.  If he gets hurt two days before you can solve that too.

2 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

Yes, I know that.  But Jeff was comparatively speaking between hitting the day before or the day after that he would more likely hit the day after because of injury risk and being screwed.  If he gets hurt two days before you can solve that too.

I understand that i'm commenting to your response to kevin. He was pointing out the risks 2 days prior to a start vs 1 day. You can always make a call up the day before as well. I'm not saying I think that's a good idea, I actually like how they handle Ohtani.

Just now, Angelsfan1984 said:

I understand that i'm commenting to your response to kevin. He was pointing out the risks 2 days prior to a start vs 1 day. You can always make a call up the day before as well. I'm not saying I think that's a good idea, I actually like how they handle Ohtani.

Ok, Here is how I took it and maybe I am wrong, but reading Kevin’s posts, I kind of doubt I am.  I read it as if they aren’t hitting him the day before because of risk of injury he could get hurt two days before he is supposed to pitch.  The reality is they aren’t hitting him the day before because of rest not injury risk.  

14 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

Ok, Here is how I took it and maybe I am wrong, but reading Kevin’s posts, I kind of doubt I am.  I read it as if they aren’t hitting him the day before because of risk of injury he could get hurt two days before he is supposed to pitch.  The reality is they aren’t hitting him the day before because of rest not injury risk.  

Also, it allows them an extra day to account for a potential injury to Ohtani.  Let's say he starts on Sunday afternoon but is injured hitting on Saturday night - they have to scramble to find a replacement and may even be a man down on the 25 man roster.  The extra day allows them time to plan and adjust.