• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ohtani's next start will be pushed back due to "workload management"

I like this move as well.  Less emotional baggage on him this early in the season.  We don't need another Boston incident which seemed to have set the team back a bit.  At the same time, he can get more plate appearances to up his experience.

3 hours ago, Dick Enberg said:

Three righties going for the Yankees this weekend.. Angels starters throwing well lately. they just want his bat in the line up. Mondays game is in detroit with a lefty throwing. Othani will sit Monday and throw Tuesday.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm hoping for Barria on Saturday and Skaggs on Monday.

3 hours ago, Dick Enberg said:

Three righties going for the Yankees this weekend.. Angels starters throwing well lately. they just want his bat in the line up. Mondays game is in detroit with a lefty throwing. Othani will sit Monday and throw Tuesday.

I think this is a very solid point, especially on top of the cautious innings limit on the year. Best of both worlds. Really a huge luxury to be able to take a cautious approach pitching while potentially maximizing his overall value at the same time. 

I'll retract this point when he sits even a single game this weekend so that Pujols can DH, ha. 

5 minutes ago, nando714 said:

Injury?

If it was a real injury, you won't see him hit in the series. A blister can be a real problem for a pitcher but no biggie for a hitter, thus why you saw him continue to get DH appearances during that. Those that can't take news from the front office at face value, watch to see if he hits tomorrow, you'll have your answer. 

6 hours ago, Kevinb said:

So again a month into the season these pitchers were fatigued? And that’s what caused the Tommy John injury?

I have no clue who "these pitchers" are in your rhetorical question.   But I doubt whatever answer I'd give you would result in your considering anything other than what you have already decided.  

6 hours ago, Kevinb said:

Injuries happen due to fatigue yes but not every injury happens do to fatigue. Pitchers get Tommy John injury a month into the season and you’re claiming it was due to fatigue. Hayward destroyed his leg what 8 minutes into playing basketball for the Celtics. Must have been fatigue? 

Do you really think pitchers only get tired late in the season?  If that's the case... why don't they throw 300 pitches early in the season and then slowly taper off?  I mean they had a whole offseason to rest up....  Do you see how ridiculous that sounds?  Most pitchers will tell you they are tired late in every game, not just 5 months into a season.   Fatigue tends to have an impact on mechanics and sometimes when mechanics break down it's easier for injuries to happen ANY injury.  This fixation of yours on TJ surgery as if it's the only possible injury is silly as bringing up Hayward's broken leg.   As I said above -- there isn't anything anyone can tell you that will make you believe anything you haven't already decided.    

Personally.... I'd be more apt to question the process if this had been done before...  but, it hasn't.

Edited by Inside Pitch

41 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I have no clue who "these pitchers" are in your rhetorical question.   But I doubt whatever answer I'd give you would result in your considering anything other than what you have already decided.  

Do you really think pitchers only get tired late in the season?  If that's the case... why don't they throw 300 pitches early in the season and then slowly taper off?  I mean they had a whole offseason to rest up....  Do you see how ridiculous that sounds?  Most pitchers will tell you they are tired late in every game, not just 5 months into a season.   Fatigue tends to have an impact on mechanics and sometimes when mechanics break down it's easier for injuries to happen ANY injury.  This fixation of yours on TJ surgery as if it's the only possible injury is silly as bringing up Hayward's broken leg.   As I said above -- there isn't anything anyone can tell you that will make you believe anything you haven't already decided.    

Personally.... I'd be more apt to question the process if this had been done before...  but, it hasn't.

First you’re the one who brought up Tommy John and Ohtani being tired. Second dude have you been watching this season. I don’t think we have a complete game this season pitching. Very little of our games do our starting pitchers go past the 5th inning. Yes fatigue does cause injuries but not all injuries and especially injuries like Tommy John or acl or whatever are the result of being tired. Shit happens sometimes. Not every car accident is a result of texting. Not every injury is a result of being tired. 

7 hours ago, Kevinb said:

My only argument is it feels like they are skipping the Yankees because it’s the Yankees in Yankee stadium 

So again a month into the season these pitchers were fatigued? And that’s what caused the Tommy John injury?

Pitch him once every 2 weeks.

dude, slow down. you're seeing stuff in the shadows and jumping to a lot of conclusions.

we're fans, and not privy to the inner workings of the team. that doesn't mean that things are horribly wrong somewhere. stop seeing conspiracies everywhere.

1 minute ago, Tank said:

dude, slow down. you're seeing stuff in the shadows and jumping to a lot of conclusions.

we're fans, and not privy to the inner workings of the team. that doesn't mean that things are horribly wrong somewhere. stop seeing conspiracies everywhere.

Were all fans and I know we’re not privy to inner workings.  It just feels like they don’t want him to be in the pressure in Yankee stadium and Ohtani is awesome I wanna see him go into NY and crush the Skankees that is all and am bummed he’s not going to get the chance to pitch

1 minute ago, Kevinb said:

Were all fans and I know we’re not privy to inner workings.  It just feels like they don’t want him to be in the pressure in Yankee stadium and Ohtani is awesome I wanna see him go into NY and crush the Skankees that is all and am bummed he’s not going to get the chance to pitch

i don't think you'll find anyone here that feels differently about this. we ALL want to see the yankees get crushed (well, everyone here except the one angel fan here who is also a fan of every single other team in the MLB). there could be sixty-three reasons affecting why he isn't going to pitch this weekend, and we don't now any of them. that's okay. it doesn't mean that something's wrong or they're hiding something from us. if this is helpful for ohtani's development this year or his long term health or benefits the team best, good for him and good for us.

10 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

First you’re the one who brought up Tommy John and Ohtani being tired. Second dude have you been watching this season. I don’t think we have a complete game this season pitching. Very little of our games do our starting pitchers go past the 5th inning. Yes fatigue does cause injuries but not all injuries and especially injuries like Tommy John or acl or whatever are the result of being tired. Shit happens sometimes. Not every car accident is a result of texting. Not every injury is a result of being tired. 

First.....  How about nope!   This was my post ..   See any mention of TJ from anyone other than you?

Pretty simple and to the point.  Fatigue can lead to injury.   The only person going on and on about TJ, car crashes and broken legs is you.   As I said previously -- you've convinced yourself of what you want to believe and won't see it any other way.     

I have zero interest in trying to convince you otherwise.

8 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

First.....  How about nope!   This was my post ..   See any mention of TJ from anyone other than you?

Pretty simple and to the point.  Fatigue can lead to injury.   The only person going on and on about TJ, car crashes and broken legs is you.   As I said previously -- you've convinced yourself of what you want to believe and won't see it any other way.     

I have zero interest in trying to convince you otherwise.

So then it wasn’t u someone else said Tommy John and if he got it we would blame the Angels. Sorry for thinking it was you. Got too caught up I guess. 

Our next two days off are Thursdays.  June 7th and June 14, then the next day off is a Wednesday June 20th.

This would be a good time to switch him to pitching middle of the week.  Wednesday's May 30th, June 6th, June 13th, and then Either Tuesday 19th or Thursday 21st.

14 hours ago, Kevinb said:

So he won’t pitch till the Sunday after. This is all because of how hot he came out against Boston and couldn’t locate his pitches. They don’t want all the pressure to be on him in that stadium. Guy pitches once a week this is garbage. 

I see this argument used from time to time and I feel compelled to reiterate the obvious: he pitches once a week....because he hits four days during the week. The guy gets two days of rest. He's not just put on ice during for 7 days as an overly cautious measure.

27 minutes ago, crazylegsdane said:

I see this argument used from time to time and I feel compelled to reiterate the obvious: he pitches once a week....because he hits four days during the week. The guy gets two days of rest. He's not just put on ice during for 7 days as an overly cautious measure.

I get it. But he’s a dh it’s not like he’s playing catcher behind the plate or short stop and running all over the place. He bats 4 times a game. I think the guy has been incredible and did not think he would put up these numbers this soon. But don’t give me this he bats 4 games. NL pitchers hit 3 times a game on days they pitch. 

Most pitchers pitch once a week but on 5 days rest he’s getting an extra day of rest longer. He’s on pace for 130 or so innings pitched for the season give or take. I feel more confident having him pitch against the Yankees and winning than I do our other starters.  I’m just bummed I don’t get to see it sunday would of been fun 

44 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

I get it. But he’s a dh it’s not like he’s playing catcher behind the plate or short stop and running all over the place. He bats 4 times a game. I think the guy has been incredible and did not think he would put up these numbers this soon. But don’t give me this he bats 4 games. NL pitchers hit 3 times a game on days they pitch. 

Most pitchers pitch once a week but on 5 days rest he’s getting an extra day of rest longer. He’s on pace for 130 or so innings pitched for the season give or take. I feel more confident having him pitch against the Yankees and winning than I do our other starters.  I’m just bummed I don’t get to see it sunday would of been fun 

i guess I just don't understand your conception of Ohtani's workload in the slightest. He doesn't just bat 4-5 times a game during the week. He takes batting practice and throws bullpen sessions. And then he goes out and starts just like any other starting pitcher would. The difference is that every other starting pitcher in the league will then ice their shoulder, throw on a compression sleeve for the next couple of days and wait for their next start.

9 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I would be pretty surprised if he pitched in Detroit. You aren’t really managing the workload if you just move him back 1-2 days. 

not to beat a dead horse, but we are facing 3 above average righties this weekend. who are our left handed hitters? Kole and Luis? nuff said. I just don't think the decision has anything to do with workload.

1 hour ago, Dick Enberg said:

not to beat a dead horse, but we are facing 3 above average righties this weekend. who are our left handed hitters? Kole and Luis? nuff said. I just don't think the decision has anything to do with workload.

According to Tom Burke, you are incorrect.