• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Blake Wood has UCL damage

4 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Welp.  I guess the trend is clear - Mariners lose a 2B, we lose a reliever to a UCL injury. ?

Meyer, Ramirez, Shoe, Middleton, Wood...    All could have been BP options..    The injury bug always hits where you are weakest.... or so it seems.

It's probably too early do much but Eppler is going to have to trade for somebody as we get closer to the deadline....beyond the uncertainty and inconsistency, we are thin enough that we need another arm or two, just for depth....

Yeah, our pen is starting to become perilously thin now.  We have discussed Canning and Suarez being converted to relievers towards the end of the year, but we need to start searching for some bandaids right now.

I do hope we can swing a trade for Hand near the trading deadline.  We’ll see.

8 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Yeah, our pen is starting to become perilously thin now.  We have discussed Canning and Suarez being converted to relievers towards the end of the year, but we need to start searching for some bandaids right now.

I do hope we can swing a trade for Hand near the trading deadline.  We’ll see.

I expect Eppler to pluck some intriguing AAA arm or quiet, middling vet in the next few weeks just to ease things a bit. I'd be surprised if we saw anything major yet, but Wood's setback may be enough of a blow to the depth - and the 40-man - to bring about a small move.

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

I expect Eppler to pluck some intriguing AAA arm or quiet, middling vet in the next few weeks just to ease things a bit. I'd be surprised if we saw anything major yet, but Wood's setback may be enough of a blow to the depth - and the 40-man - to bring about a small move.

As some elite GMs have shown, it’s possible to build a strong bullpen on the cheap.  Just need to have your scouting team find some guys with potential, perhaps emphasize one pitch over another, adjust sequencing, etc.

Unfortunately there are quite a few misses in the process, but it is definitely possible.  Ideally we can acquire a shutdown closer and supplement it with some guys with legit potential.

Can't blame it on Dip*ssy, since JC Ramirez and Wood were Eppler pickups.

I know that there was a list that showed the Halos being middle of the road with these injuries.    Seems though that for the past 3.5 years, the Halos have had more of these than just about any team.

Are pitchers being that abused at a young age today?    Too many breaking pitches thrown too soon?   Too many innings thanks to the summer HS/college leagues? 

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

Can't blame it on Dip*ssy, since JC Ramirez and Wood were Eppler pickups.

I know that there was a list that showed the Halos being middle of the road with these injuries.    Seems though that for the past 3.5 years, the Halos have had more of these than just about any team.

Are pitchers being that abused at a young age today?    Too many breaking pitches thrown too soon?   Too many innings thanks to the summer HS/college leagues? 

I don’t really know for sure.  I think pitchers are throwing harder and with more torque than before, which leads to more injuries.  It’s not just us - all teams are having similar issues.

look at the Rays - they lost two top SP prospects to TJ surgery within days of each other before the season even started.  Unfortunately, just seems to become increasingly common.

4 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

At what point do pitchers/FO's decide then that the pitchers need to dial it back down some? 

Great question.  I do think though that’s why you see minor league pitchers now being pulled after 75-80 pitches in a start, being given more rest, etc. All designed to help improve their health.  It’s also why we don’t see our starters pitch too deeply into games.  Fewer guys reach 100 pitches per start now than before.