• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Pitchers can’t throw strikes

The Angels staff as a whole seem to be always pitching uphill and behind the count. I don’t know if it’s the umpiring that everyone complains about or just the overall teams pitching philosophy. They seem to not trust their own stuff and are always looking to work around the strike zone instead of challenging hitters. I follow the games using the Gamecast function on ESPN and I know it’s not completely accurate but what surprises me is how all over the plate they are. One pitch missing way inside off the plate followed by the next being way off the plate outside. With the starters it seems to happen in the mid innings 4-5 but with most of the relievers it’s pretty much automatic that they cannot find the plate. I think a lot of it’s mechanical and can’t understand why the pitching coach can’t correct it. People complain about the umpires but if you cannot consistently find the general direction of the plate you’re not going to get the close calls. Anderson and Morales ( when he was healthy) have nasty stuff but it’s worthless if you cannot locate the plate on occasion. Tired of Anderson coming into a 1 or 2 run game and walking the first batter he faces on four pitches. This team has to be on pace for the most wild pitches in history. So frustrating. Throw strikes. You can’t defend walks!

27 minutes ago, cjcinec said:

Throw strikes. You can’t defend walks!

I agree! 

So many of our losses, especially by the bullpen late, have been a result of late inning walks, walking the leadoff batter, etc. 

Very frustrating. 

Is part of it the starters still refining their command after missing so much time the past couple of years, plus the bullpen being a hodgepodge of talent? 

The starters have been much better since late April.   The pen on the other hand?????

Parker at least is doing well in the pen.   That's one, anyway.   

Just now, Angel Oracle said:

Is part of it the starters still refining their command after missing so much time the past couple of years, plus the bullpen being a hodgepodge of talent? 

I’m thinking pitching to location of soft contact.  

And the "stellar" defense hasn't quite been that great. 

Of course, someone will probably provide stats that cancel that thought - but I know poor defense has definitely cost this team some games.

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

The Angels are 3rd in the AL in strikeouts. 

Yeah they are feast or famine. Throwing nasty splitters will get you strikeouts as will pitching for the extreme corners of the plate. That’s like swinging for the fence will get you more home runs. Pitching smart and having command of your pitches in and out of the strike zone puts you ahead on the counts and keeps your pitch count down so you don’t fall apart in the fifth inning or you don’t walk the tying run on four pitches in a save situation. They are either pitching scared or to fine. They need to challenge hitters and use the defense behind them. I don’t know if it’s the manager calling all the pitches or the pitchers having no command of the pitches they throw. You can’t expect the offense to overcome this kind of pitching approach.

32 minutes ago, True Grich said:

And the "stellar" defense hasn't quite been that great. 

Of course, someone will probably provide stats that cancel that thought - but I know poor defense has definitely cost this team some games.

Starting 9 defense is fine.   Bench doesn't have much defensively, though.   Valnobuena and Marte are terrible defensively.

I don't know how much or little the coaching staff calls pitches, but I'd say it's a question of command of their pitches. They aren't hitting their spots. Their walk numbers are far worse than the other serious contenders in the AL. Hopefully this can be improved significantly very soon.

Just now, Jeremiah said:

I don't know how much or little the coaching staff calls pitches, but I'd say it's a question of command of their pitches. They aren't hitting their spots. Their walk numbers are far worse than the other serious contenders in the AL. Hopefully this can be improved significantly very soon.

Catchers call the pitches.  

8th in the AL for WHIP.  

6th best in the AL for k-bb%

3rd highest hard hit ball % in the AL.  

10th in zone % but within .5% of 6th.  

2nd worst o-swing% by our pitchers.  

3rd highest number of batters in AL starting off 1-0.  wOBA allowed of .374.  That's bad

2nd most total batters faced with a 2-0 count.  .467 wOBA against.  

5 minutes ago, Jeremiah said:

This is always the question to me. Is it because they don't trust their stuff, or just because they don't have command? Are they intending to throw out of the zone so often, or do we have a team wide control problem? I think the second is more disturbing, but it would still be disturbing if for some reason the atmosphere in the clubhouse is causing pitchers not to trust their stuff....:/

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

3rd highest hard hit ball % in the AL.  

10th in zone % but within .5% of 6th.  

2nd worst o-swing% by our pitchers.  

3rd highest number of batters in AL starting off 1-0.  wOBA allowed of .374.  That's bad

2nd most total batters faced with a 2-0 count.  .467 wOBA against.  

eddie murphy yes GIF

I keep getting these pages confused, but it lead me to a weird fun fact...

https://www.teamrankings.com/mlb/stat/opponent-hit-by-pitch-per-game

https://www.teamrankings.com/mlb/stat/hit-by-pitch-per-game

We are 9th highest in batters hit by pitch per game, and 9th lowest in opponent batters hit by pitch per game. There shouldn't really be any correlation there, so that's just a weird thing...

ANYWAYS. 9th lowest in baseball at hit opponents per game. To me, that suggests that a lot of this is coming from our pitchers nibbling, rather than them missing their spots. But...I mean...I would expect this to be a pretty soft correlation, so IDK how much confidence you can draw from that. Basically, we are in the best 3rd of baseball at not hitting batters, but the worst third at walking opponent batters.

14 minutes ago, krAbs said:

I keep getting these pages confused, but it lead me to a weird fun fact...

https://www.teamrankings.com/mlb/stat/opponent-hit-by-pitch-per-game

https://www.teamrankings.com/mlb/stat/hit-by-pitch-per-game

We are 9th highest in batters hit by pitch per game, and 9th lowest in opponent batters hit by pitch per game. There shouldn't really be any correlation there, so that's just a weird thing...

ANYWAYS. 9th lowest in baseball at hit opponents per game. To me, that suggests that a lot of this is coming from our pitchers nibbling, rather than them missing their spots. But...I mean...I would expect this to be a pretty soft correlation, so IDK how much confidence you can draw from that. Basically, we are in the best 3rd of baseball at not hitting batters, but the worst third at walking opponent batters.

Indeed. The BB's, however they're given (BB, IBB, HBP), will kill you. They need to get more consistent with getting ahead in counts ans stop pitching from behind so much.