• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Poor home record

T.G.

Something is different about this team when they play at home.  I heard an interview with Scioscia a week or so ago (it was post-game) and he acknowledged as much.  He wouldn't elaborate, but he said he sees something specific about this team when they're at home and it's contributing to their poor play.  I wonder what that is.

I wonder if @Jeff Fletcher can shed any light on this.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

Marine Layer. End of story 

Look at both Trout and the offense's numbers at home and on the road. I don't know the exact slash line but the offense is way better on the road than at home. I bet if Angel Stadium wasn't pitcher friendly, the offense would be just as good at home, as well as on the road. 

40 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

They played the Yankees and Red Sox at home. 

I think it’s probably just a small sample size fluke. 

29 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Along with facing Cole and Verlander the last series.  

That’s kind of implying that those teams are better than we are. 

43 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

They played the Yankees and Red Sox at home. 

I think it’s probably just a small sample size fluke. 

Jeff - I heard someone (possibly Alex Curry) ask Mike after one of the games about if he's seeing something different when they play at home.  He said he was.. he saw something very specific, but he wouldn't tell her what that was.  That's what I was curious about.  If you had any hints about what was specifically impacting their play at home.  I remember raising my eyebrows when I heard it, but there wasn't any follow up.

16 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

That’s kind of implying that those teams are better than we are. 

Well, they are...Yankees have a better collection of offensive player, a solid rotation, and a much better bullpen.  Red Sox came in and waxed us...they have a better offense and bullpen.

It's not really debatable at this point.

Houston also has a better rotation, right now, with Cole and Verlander as aces, and a better bullpen.  I mean Keuchel, a Cy Young winner, is their three starter, and McCullers and Morton as 4 and 5 starters is unfair.

Now, in terms of the Angels, we have the talent to field a potentially dominant 6-man rotation, which is crazy but it's full implementation is hampered by 1)  pitch count due to youth and past injury 2) God-awful BP.

Once guys are able to push it 105-115 pitches per start, it can take some of the load off the BP but Eppler is going to have to meet them half-way with some quality arms for set up man and closer.  Additionally, the offense is basically Trout, Simmons, Upton and Ohtani when he's able...Cozart look like who he was pre-2017 so I'm not even expecting a .800 OPS at this point much less .938 OPS he put up last year...I think Kinsler and Valbuena can be released as neither are providing much and wouldn't be surprised to see both gone by June to give Cowart, Fernandez, Fletcher and Hermosillo a chance to help the team.

Depending on how the offense and bullpen shake out, you are looking at a decent 85-90 win team who will likely be battling whoever doesn't win the AL East for the wild card.

15 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Well, they are...Yankees have a better collection of offensive player, a solid rotation, and a much better bullpen.  Red Sox came in and waxed us...they have a better offense and bullpen.

It's not really debatable at this point.

Houston also has a better rotation, right now, with Cole and Verlander as aces, and a better bullpen.  I mean Keuchel, a Cy Young winner, is their three starter, and McCullers and Morton as 4 and 5 starters is unfair.

Now, in terms of the Angels, we have the talent to field a potentially dominant 6-man rotation, which is crazy but it's full implementation is hampered by 1)  pitch count due to youth and past injury 2) God-awful BP.

Once guys are able to push it 105-115 pitches per start, it can take some of the load off the BP but Eppler is going to have to meet them half-way with some quality arms for set up man and closer.  Additionally, the offense is basically Trout, Simmons, Upton and Ohtani when he's able...Cozart look like who he was pre-2017 so I'm not even expecting a .800 OPS at this point much less .938 OPS he put up last year...I think Kinsler and Valbuena can be released as neither are providing much and wouldn't be surprised to see both gone by June to give Cowart, Fernandez, Fletcher and Hermosillo a chance to help the team.

Depending on how the offense and bullpen shake out, you are looking at a decent 85-90 win team who will likely be battling whoever doesn't win the AL East for the wild card.

Excellent post. I am concerned that the veteran part of our lineup being Kinsler, Pujols, Maldonado, Calhoun, Cozart and our bullpen won’t have enough gas left in the tank to play at a high level in the second half. I think 85 wins will be a stretch.