• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Your thoughts?

14 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Cabrera is voicing his frustration. We all do that.  Sometimes we say things against our better judgment and as a result, it comes out wrong in the process.  I started out over analyzing his statement... I've given it a bit of thought.  I don't know what he's going through.  We all do and say stupid things sometimes when we are frustrated.

Truthfully -- if I'm him and I see the way AP was dragged through the mud while trying to play through issues I don't know that I wouldn't feel exactly the same way MCab does..   I totally get why he would feel the way he does and I totally understand how Joe Fan could see it and get bent -- it's one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't type of scenarios IMO.. 

I'm not taking a side, but it's one of those things that is pretty certain to create some sort of drama.

14 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

No team in that division is over .500, so they are all kind of in it.  

Fangraphs has them at .2% chance at making the playoffs. A better chance than I have of winning the lottery, but I wouldn't be my house on it.

18 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

But I have no problem with him doing what he is doing. Cabrera is helping his team. Albert was hurting his team last year and I think it would have shown real strength to say "I'm hurting the team and maybe someone can do a better job than I can when I'm hurt." I don't think Cabrera can say that about himself right now.

This most closely resembles my thoughts.  I dont think AP did himself or the team any favors by being anything less than 100%.   At the same time..  We all know damn well that the criticism here would have been -- "he doesnt care, he's getting paid" and that's sort of why I brought this up.

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Truthfully -- if I'm him and I see the way AP was dragged through the mud while trying to play through issues I don't know that I wouldn't feel exactly the same way MCab does..   I totally get why he would feel the way he does and I totally understand how Joe Fan could see it and get bent -- it's one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't type of scenarios IMO.. 

I'm not taking a side, but it's one of those things that is pretty certain to create some sort of drama.

Exactly. So why not side with yourself and play when you're ready. He probably should have said the boring athlete response but I can appreciate his honesty.

4 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

This most closely resembles my thoughts.  I dont think AP did himself or the team any favors by being anything less than 100%.   At the same time..  We all know damn well that the criticism here would have been -- "he doesnt care, he's getting paid" and that's sort of why I brought this up.

That's fair. I guess I didn't think of it that way. That type of criticism is just something I would never think about making so I never thought of that. I would be more likely to say he was using the injury to cover up his poor play. 

My thoughts are that Cabrera is getting a little selfish and butthurt to be honest.   OK, you played hurt, what athlete hasn't at some point?  Its like the old saying, there is a different between being hurt and injured.  
These guys all want to play the "its a business" card when its suits them, well you are getting paid, do your job.  An athlete is paid to play, as a fan i expect them to play if they can, to a point.  
If it hurts the team, or puts them in long term risk, save it, get healthy, i understand that, but you dont expect a freaking stature erected in your honor for doing it.  
Pujols could write a thesis on this, how many games did we watch Salmon gimping around with Plantar Fasciitis?  It goes with the territory.
you sign the bog contract, you are expected to be on the field as much as possible, its not on your terms.

50 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

He's being honest. How do you know that his teammates don't actually support him on this? It's a pretty common issue with athletes and I think were going to start seeing it more and more. Just because he has a massive contract doesn't mean he should be sacrificing his own well being because of it. Poor production because of injury often leads to fan bases questioning every move they make, so why not take the same criticism and just play when fully healthy?

Some good points, but he needs to be careful what he says though.

23 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

You want to bet on the Tigers making the playoffs? What type of odds would you want?

That's not my point.  I don't give a rat's ass about what some stat head says of the possibility of making the playoffs are.  They aren't out of the race until they are eliminated.  And right now their elimination number is 118.

Cabrera isn't wrong in terms of what he's saying. Injury and ineffectiveness will raise the ire of fans and the local radio honks, especially if that player is under contract for many years and many millions of dollars. He's airing frustrations that I'm sure many other players likely feel. I'm not bothered at all by the sentiment. I just think he probably shouldn't have said that publicly as the national and DET media will now be asking Gardenhire and others a lot of questions about it.

Kind of reminds me of the Kawhi Leonard situation in San Antonio.