• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

ESPN: Mike Trout is on pace for the greatest season in MLB history

It's kind of funny - even though he's having possibly the best season ever - it just doesn't feel like it.  It doesn't seem like it with my eyes.  It's even funnier that I need sabermetrics to tell me how great a season he's having.  That's my struggle with WAR.  I appreciate the value it brings - but it doesn't really get me stoked.  Is it just me? 

All I know is that I love watching Mike Trout play and that the Angels are fortunate to have him.  We're lucky we get to watch him day in and day out.  I appreciate and admire all the things he does - but when you tell me  his WAR went up even though he went 0 for, I don't know how to respond.  Ok... that's great... but...  stats are kind of sterile.  I mean WAR is kind of boring because I don't fully understand it. When I read that article by Sam Miller - I thought "this is cool... but... I don't get it." 

It was definitely an interesting read and Sam Miller is awesome.  I have a lot to learn about this stuff.

At the end of the day - it's great that Mike Trout is having what may end up being the best season ever - but the rest of the team needs to step up too.

28 minutes ago, True Grich said:

It's kind of funny - even though he's having possibly the best season ever - it just doesn't feel like it.  It doesn't seem like it with my eyes.  It's even funnier that I need sabermetrics to tell me how great a season he's having.  That's my struggle with WAR.  I appreciate the value it brings - but it doesn't really get me stoked.  Is it just me? 

All I know is that I love watching Mike Trout play and that the Angels are fortunate to have him.  We're lucky we get to watch him day in and day out.  I appreciate and admire all the things he does - but when you tell me  his WAR went up even though he went 0 for, I don't know how to respond.  Ok... that's great... but...  stats are kind of sterile.  I mean WAR is kind of boring because I don't fully understand it. 

It was definitely an interesting read and Sam Miller is awesome. 

At the end of the day - it's great that Mike Trout is having what may end up being the best season ever - but the rest of the team needs to step up too.

Familiarity breeds contempt.   

Obviously you don't think he sucks, but Angel fans have become so accustomed to his consistent greatness that anything other than perfection is considered "meh".

We have all done it.

Edited by Inside Pitch

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

Familiarity breeds contempt.   

Obviously you don't think he sucks, but Angel fans have become so accustomed to his consistent greatness that anything other that perfection is considered "meh".

We have all done it.

I often shake my head in amazement when he does things on the field... I really don't take it for granted.  I know I'm watching someone very, very special.  I just don't understand WAR and even though this stat adds to Trout's legacy and value - it's hard for me to get excited about it because it's not something I can understand with my eyes as it is happening.  Does that make sense? 

1 minute ago, OHTANILAND said:

Mike Trout is carrying this team and has been for years. I can name 29 other teams that would love to have unclutch Trout in their lineup. 

And none of this carrying the team shit holds water.  It’ll be another narrative that is just something you feel the need to talk about.  Baseball is an individual team sport.  He isn’t playing multiple positions, he isn’t batting more than other batters, when he’s on base he isn’t running more than other guys with speed.  He’s had some poor at bats, those are on him and not some mythical “he’s carrying the team”.  If so I’m sure you’ll have the same narrative for Upton during his next slump since he’s been carrying the team for a few weeks now.  

2 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

And none of this carrying the team shit holds water.  It’ll be another narrative that is just something you feel the need to talk about.  Baseball is an individual team sport.  He isn’t playing multiple positions, he isn’t batting more than other batters, when he’s on base he isn’t running more than other guys with speed.  He’s had some poor at bats, those are on him and not some mythical “he’s carrying the team”.  If so I’m sure you’ll have the same narrative for Upton during his next slump since he’s been carrying the team for a few weeks now.  

3.5 War / 1.056 ops

Just wtf do you want from this guy. He’s obviously unappreciated so maybe a change in venue would help boost his numbers. Would that make you happy.

Just now, OHTANILAND said:

3.5 War / 1.056 ops

Just wtf do you want from this guy. He’s obviously unappreciated so maybe a change in venue would help boost his numbers. Would that make you happy.

Just stop with your nonsense.  He had a poor at bat in a big spot, it’s ok to be critical to the greatest every once in awhile.  Dude you’re critical to everyone, every single day.  Trout is FAR from under appreciated.  

11 minutes ago, True Grich said:

I often shake my head in amazement when he does things on the field... I really don't take it for granted.  I know I'm watching someone very, very special.  I just don't understand WAR and even though this stat adds to Trout's legacy and value - it's hard for me to get excited about it because it's not something I can understand with my eyes as it is happening.  Does that make sense? 

I think WAR tries to do too much and that's where it loses people.     And I totally get what you're saying, at no point did I think you were talking down Trout.

16 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

3.5 War / 1.056 ops

You have a serious hard-on for Trout leaving the Angels...it's a constant theme only broken up by the "Pujols!" posts.  Is it a symptom of an illness of some type?  Get the help you need.

28 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

Just stop with your nonsense.  He had a poor at bat in a big spot, it’s ok to be critical to the greatest every once in awhile.  Dude you’re critical to everyone, every single day.  Trout is FAR from under appreciated.  

Trout is a great player but one who is really underrated at the same time. Most folks are asleep by the time he starts playing. He does things that really impresses you like every single game that he plays. And that can be without getting a single hit. Those who actually watch him play night in and night out knows he is a special player and a special talent. 

I am confused? How did this turn into a bash Trade, support Trout or trade Trout because he is unappreciated thread?

I know my post was negative towards Trout but that was meant to be sarcastic.  That's why i put the emoji in the post.

The rest i have read really hadn't cashed Trout.

Is he open for criticism for a bad game or bad at bat? Of course but I dont ser how anyone is underappreciating him.

3 minutes ago, stormngt said:

I am confused? How did this turn into a bash Trade, support Trout or trade Trout because he is unappreciated thread?

I know my post was negative towards Trout but that was meant to be sarcastic.  That's why i put the emoji in the post.

The rest i have read really hadn't cashed Trout.

Is he open for criticism for a bad game or bad at bat? Of course but I dont ser how anyone is underappreciating him.

Where is @EnglishCop when we need him? We need a translate button like on facebook.

13 minutes ago, JustATroutFan said:

Trout is a great player but one who is really underrated at the same time. Most folks are asleep by the time he starts playing. He does things that really impresses you like every single game that he plays. And that can be without getting a single hit. Those who actually watch him play night in and night out knows he is a special player and a special talent. 

Yes

6 hours ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

Not dumbass, a little sarcasm with no mal-intentions.  If a team like the Phillies would pay a King's Ransom for Trout, I would take them up on that. 

You can't put all of your eggs in one basket, especially for a position player.  That is what makes the Pujols contract unfavorable the way he is performing. Not saying the Angels were stupid to sign Pujols, he is a hall of famer,  but the Angels gambled and lost.

No sarcasm here, being very serious.

Disagree....the Phillies farm does not have enough value for Trout trade.  I dont think any franchise has it.  I wouldnt trade to trade Trout unless he turns down an extension.